RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Which Class B should we purchase?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Which Class B should we purchase?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
mozim

Evergreen co

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We owned a 2007 Roadtrek Agile SS sold in 2009. We are now ready to purchase another class B. We looked at Pleasure-way and Leisure - out of the three, RoadTrek, Pleasure-way and Leisure, which is the best quality and reliability? We've consider used, but are concerned with reliability of used and older engines. Did Ford and GM make as good of an engine in the early to mid 2000's as they make now?

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not buy used. Looks like you don't save enough to warrant your time and cost and risk of a lemon.

I would avoid the Sprinter based ones that are now scarce and orphaned to Freightliner dealers for service.

That leaves GM and Ford.

I would only get a gasoline version, no diesels.

Either will work --- the later models get you better drivetrains with marginally better fuel economy.

Not that you care, but the latest models offer the prospect of propane conversion if fuel prices ever hit $8 a gallon.

The build quality of Roadtrek, Pleasure-way an Leisure I don't see enough units to comment on.

Note that Roadtrek is being slaughtered by the Canadian Dollar.

PSW

Oklahoma City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I completely agree with Handbasket.

First of all, all three mentioned are manufactured in Canada, so the Canadian/US dollar parity or conversion cost issue is applicable to all three.

Secondly, many....maybe most.... people that buy these things new (like we did in 2006) take pretty good care of them because they cost so darn much.

Our 210P Roadtrek looks and is just like new. Always garaged in heated and air condtioned space, reasonably low miles, perfectly maintained and serviced. If we sold it today, it would probably bring 40% below the MSRP of a brand new RT that would be almost identical. Maybe less than that. 30 or 40% of a lot is ...............a lot to save.

PSW
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I totally disagree with the 'don't buy used' advice. Sure, buy new if you can afford to, but late-model used lets the original owner take the biggest depreciation hit. I bought a gently used (8,000 miles) '01/'02 RT C190P in '03, got a reasonable deal, and loved it. No memorable issues at all except a neglected Onan, and it still had 2 years chassis warranty.

I gather that you're not wedded to the Sprinter idea, so I'd look at all RV makers on the Chevy Express chassis; odds seem to be that it'll drive better than the Fords without modification, and the cab is more comfortable for both driver and passenger. There's nothing wrong with the GM 350 or early 6.0's unless they're worn out by neglect or miles. Have a competent chassis tech check it out. You can probably test the RV systems yourself, since they won't be much different that your Agile.

Jim, "No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

ffjeff

Coloma, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I totally disagree on not considering a Sprinter. Mercedes dealers have them, sell them and service them. The dealer network is now larger and better than before.
Diesel has one distinct advantage for the casual B user. Fuel does not degrade with time as gasoline does. The newer gasoline blends radidly lose octane and degrade, sometimes in thirty days. Unless your in the habit of adding a fuel stablizer or constantly refreshing the fuel supply, considering diesel makes sense . IMO

RonBoyd

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Note that Roadtrek is being slaughtered by the Canadian Dollar.

I don't know what that means. Is it a good thing?

2008 Roadtrek 210 Versatile

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you summarize the posts:

Buy new if you can afford it.
PW, RT, LTV, or GWV are all built in Canada and have similar quality.
Chevys handle better and are more comfortable than Fords.
(But you probably can haul more stuff in a Ford. )

Basically, my addition to this is to check all of them if you can and pick the floor plan that fits your needs, priced to your pocketbook.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mozim,

Based on what you wrote, it sounds as if you are considering an older Ford or Chevy. You did not say why you sold your Agile Sprinter. I disagree with NewW. I wouldn't own anything but a Class B Sprinter. After your Agile you might find any Chevy Class B cave like, head bumping peeing and showering in the aisle a bit of a disappointment.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ffjeff wrote:

I totally disagree on not considering a Sprinter. Mercedes dealers have them, sell them and service them. The dealer network is now larger and better than before.
Diesel has one distinct advantage for the casual B user. Fuel does not degrade with time as gasoline does. The newer gasoline blends radidly lose octane and degrade, sometimes in thirty days. Unless your in the habit of adding a fuel stablizer or constantly refreshing the fuel supply, considering diesel makes sense . IMO

We are going to have to agree to disagree.

Unless you got the gas Sprinter, the diesel sprinter require special, euro spec lubricants that are hard to find --- making you tied to the dealer for routine servicing.

True, diesels store better than gas, but on a gasser, that just means not filling the tank after the last trip.

As far as diesels, the sheer cost of a diesel to service and maintain is staggering for an average user, unfamiliar with Diesel Particulate Filters, Selective Catalytic Reduction, Diesel Oxydation catalysts, and the zillions of little gadgets that make it impossible to keep a Sprinter running once it is out of warranty without expensive trips to the Factory authorized dealer.

There is no economic advantage to diesel that is not washed out by high diesel prices relative to gas, and exceptionally high maintenance costs.

In Heavy Duty / Commercial use, with a lot of miles, the scale do tip toward diesels, but for most RVs they just don't do the mileage to justify a diesel economically.

Or the hassle of finding someone to service it.

Oh... you are paying Mercedes prices for parts and labor to service this thing.

It is nearly as bad as the Rialta that was built on a VW chassis once.

Check the diesel forums and you will find plenty of people singing the Bluetechs about diesels, how hard they are to maintain, how many fixes and mods they need, and how much trouble it is.

In a van, the bigger issue is the noise from the engine that need to be real carefully attenuated, and even then, it is way above gas levels.

Unless you need the Heavy Duty towing part (and that doesn't come with a diesel van), why bother?

Note: Sprinters, gas or diesel, cannot tow much.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PSW wrote:

I completely agree with Handbasket.

First of all, all three mentioned are manufactured in Canada, so the Canadian/US dollar parity or conversion cost issue is applicable to all three.

Secondly, many....maybe most.... people that buy these things new (like we did in 2006) take pretty good care of them because they cost so darn much.

Our 210P Roadtrek looks and is just like new. Always garaged in heated and air condtioned space, reasonably low miles, perfectly maintained and serviced. If we sold it today, it would probably bring 40% below the MSRP of a brand new RT that would be almost identical. Maybe less than that. 30 or 40% of a lot is ...............a lot to save.

The OP bought a Roadtrek new in 2007... so I figured that financial considerations are not big.

Well looked after (or hardly used) units are plentiful but it takes a lot of looking to find them.

When you buy used, it is always the specifics of the deal that is the question.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Which Class B should we purchase?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS