RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Which Class B should we purchase?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Which Class B should we purchase?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RSchleder

iowa city, ia

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thriftydutch--sorry you were offended by my opinion. Seems like you plan on traveling regardless of the price of fuel so I guess you don't worry too much about the cost of fuel which proves my point. By the way, don't forget, opinions are like-well you know- everyone has one and I'll continue to give mine just as you did yours, although mine will not contain a personal attack !!!!

Aikensbest

Aiken, SC. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RSchleder wrote:

thriftydutch--sorry you were offended by my opinion. Seems like you plan on traveling regardless of the price of fuel so I guess you don't worry too much about the cost of fuel which proves my point. By the wjavascript:;ay, don't forget, opinions are like-well you know- everyone has one and I'll continue to give mine just as you did yours, although mine will not contain a personal attack !!!!

I would not consider Thriftydutch made a personal attack on you, but perhaps a reasonable one. My example would be when I retired and purchased my B, I paid cash, so gas and maintenance my only concern. Since I retired gas has gone from $1.50 to $3.50. Oil change from $15 to $29. Tires from about $100 each to over $150, and I could go on and on. As a retired individual my income has not increased, so every dollar spent has to replace something else.

Aikensbest
2001 GreatWestClassic

kendall69

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what I always love about the internet. People who don't know what they are talking about all of a sudden are experts.

Unless you got the gas Sprinter, the diesel sprinter require special, euro spec lubricants that are hard to find --- making you tied to the dealer for routine servicing.

SPECIAL EURO spec Lubricants, WHAT!!!!!!!, HARD TO FIND...WHAT????
I've has Diesel Sprinter since 2007 and buy Mobil ONE which is Mercedes Spec, NOT EUROPEAN.

True, diesels store better than gas, but on a gasser, that just means not filling the tank after the last trip.

STORE BETTER - that's understatement. I had a diesel start after 15 Years sitting with the same diesel in it. Never did that with gas.

As far as diesels, the sheer cost of a diesel to service and maintain is staggering for an average user, unfamiliar with Diesel Particulate Filters, Selective Catalytic Reduction, Diesel Oxydation catalysts, and the zillions of little gadgets that make it impossible to keep a Sprinter running once it is out of warranty without expensive trips to the Factory authorized dealer.

Before my head explodes on this one I need to take a breath. I've got 80K miles and Not one of your scare tactics have emerged. "Little gagets" Hmmm interetsing haven't even seen a "little gaget" YET.

Like I said 80K mile and have NEVER been to the dealer.

Why do you people that don't know what you're talking about spew this garbage.

There is no economic advantage to diesel that is not washed out by high diesel prices relative to gas, and exceptionally high maintenance costs.

Man you really have a problem don't you. Diesel and Gas have been running neck and neck by me. For the same vehicle I was getting 12MPG, with the diesel sprinter I'm getting 22MPG. SO the advantage is like buying fuel for $2.50 when gas was $5.00. Do I need to do the math for you. Ya I better since I see you are so confused with actual facts. 100,000 miles between 12mpg and 22 mpg at $5.00/gal is a savings of $1,893.94. Oh and my " high " maintenance costs, can you handle that facts. $21.00 fuel filter every 20K miles. $9.00 oil filter every 15K miles. 12 Quarts oil ( You know that special Euro stuff I but at Wal Mart called Mobil 1 ) $6.47 Quart.

In Heavy Duty / Commercial use, with a lot of miles, the scale do tip toward diesels, but for most RVs they just don't do the mileage to justify a diesel economically.

Or the hassle of finding someone to service it.

Oh... you are paying Mercedes prices for parts and labor to service this thing.

It is nearly as bad as the Rialta that was built on a VW chassis once.

Sorry, every mile you go tips in the favor of diesel, remember I did the math. Parts and Labor, I've never spent a dime on labor, my parts for fuel, oil etc are the same as everyone else pays for anything on the road.

Check the diesel forums and you will find plenty of people singing the Bluetechs about diesels, how hard they are to maintain, how many fixes and mods they need, and how much trouble it is.

In a van, the bigger issue is the noise from the engine that need to be real carefully attenuated, and even then, it is way above gas levels.

Actually the diesel is FAR, FAR, FAR, quieter that the equivalent FORD V-10,Chevy, Dodge. PLUS the heat over the dog house of a V-10, or gas engine is unbearable.

Unless you need the Heavy Duty towing part (and that doesn't come with a diesel van), why bother?

Note: Sprinters, gas or diesel, cannot tow much.

CANNOT tow much, WOW - since when does 5,000 pound become NOT MUCH?
You can tow dozens of toads under 5K. And really who buys a van to tow more than 5K anyway. This is a non issue.

Owned (1) Class A (2) class C (1) truck camper looking at a Class (B)
New proud Owner of a 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2400

gerrym51

unknown

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

airstream avenue SUITE

RSchleder

iowa city, ia

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aikensbest wrote:

RSchleder wrote:

thriftydutch--sorry you were offended by my opinion. Seems like you plan on traveling regardless of the price of fuel so I guess you don't worry too much about the cost of fuel which proves my point. By the wjavascript:;ay, don't forget, opinions are like-well you know- everyone has one and I'll continue to give mine just as you did yours, although mine will not contain a personal attack !!!!

I would not consider Thriftydutch made a personal attack on you, but perhaps a reasonable one. My example would be when I retired and purchased my B, I paid cash, so gas and maintenance my only concern. Since I retired gas has gone from $1.50 to $3.50. Oil change from $15 to $29. Tires from about $100 each to over $150, and I could go on and on. As a retired individual my income has not increased, so every dollar spent has to replace something else.

I've been retired since 1994 so you I truly understand that the price of things have certainly increased. I put my 2005 Allegro Bus up for sale last Fall and sold it a couple of months ago. Why, because with the price of diesel fuel I started to worry about the cost @ 7-8 mpg. I down sized to a Sprinter based ERA for that very reason. I believe this action demonstrates that I take action, not just lip service, on my opinions/convictions!

nbragtop

North Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just my 2 cents worth. My wife and I just purchased 2012 ERA. Now the reason why. We searched for over a year and what we found was that of the used units we found, they were either a far away and/or did not have a suitable floor plan. So we ended up with actually very few used units to look at and they were very nice but expensive. The reason we chose the ERA was it seems all of the companies use the same Sprinter van. All the companies use the same brands of refrig, stove, furnace, air cond. you get the picture. So the difference seems to be seat coverings or other bells and whistles. And the ERA was about $20K cheeper than what I could actually buy a RT, PW, or other brands. All the dealers seem to be loaded with inventory and will discount enough that a new unit was just to close in price to a used unt . So I decided to buy new and get the warranty. If you are interested I will who and where we bought from. PM me if interested.

amacrae

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly...
AsheGuy wrote:

NewsW wrote:

They charge Mercedes Benz prices to fix it, or Freightliner (heavy duty truck) prices.
I've never been to a Mercedes or Freightliner dealer to service our 2004/2005 LTV so I can't speak to your claim. Dodge dealers are glad to service the Sprinter, at least for years up to the Chrysler/Daimler split.

I just had ours serviced yesterday at the local Dodge dealer and there is nothing unusual in their prices. After over 100K miles on our Sprinter, our maintenance costs have been typical of any vehicle and there have been few needs for maintenance.

If I were going to purchase a class B again, I would make the same choice to buy a diesel Sprinter. We have been quite satisfied.

Alan
2007 Roadtrek RS Adventurous
FMCA F386555
W1ALM

amacrae

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/12 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well said, Kendall...
kendall69 wrote:

This is what I always love about the internet. People who don't know what they are talking about all of a sudden are experts.

Unless you got the gas Sprinter, the diesel sprinter require special, euro spec lubricants that are hard to find --- making you tied to the dealer for routine servicing.

SPECIAL EURO spec Lubricants, WHAT!!!!!!!, HARD TO FIND...WHAT????
I've has Diesel Sprinter since 2007 and buy Mobil ONE which is Mercedes Spec, NOT EUROPEAN.

True, diesels store better than gas, but on a gasser, that just means not filling the tank after the last trip.

STORE BETTER - that's understatement. I had a diesel start after 15 Years sitting with the same diesel in it. Never did that with gas.

As far as diesels, the sheer cost of a diesel to service and maintain is staggering for an average user, unfamiliar with Diesel Particulate Filters, Selective Catalytic Reduction, Diesel Oxydation catalysts, and the zillions of little gadgets that make it impossible to keep a Sprinter running once it is out of warranty without expensive trips to the Factory authorized dealer.

Before my head explodes on this one I need to take a breath. I've got 80K miles and Not one of your scare tactics have emerged. "Little gagets" Hmmm interetsing haven't even seen a "little gaget" YET.

Like I said 80K mile and have NEVER been to the dealer.

Why do you people that don't know what you're talking about spew this garbage.

There is no economic advantage to diesel that is not washed out by high diesel prices relative to gas, and exceptionally high maintenance costs.

Man you really have a problem don't you. Diesel and Gas have been running neck and neck by me. For the same vehicle I was getting 12MPG, with the diesel sprinter I'm getting 22MPG. SO the advantage is like buying fuel for $2.50 when gas was $5.00. Do I need to do the math for you. Ya I better since I see you are so confused with actual facts. 100,000 miles between 12mpg and 22 mpg at $5.00/gal is a savings of $1,893.94. Oh and my " high " maintenance costs, can you handle that facts. $21.00 fuel filter every 20K miles. $9.00 oil filter every 15K miles. 12 Quarts oil ( You know that special Euro stuff I but at Wal Mart called Mobil 1 ) $6.47 Quart.

In Heavy Duty / Commercial use, with a lot of miles, the scale do tip toward diesels, but for most RVs they just don't do the mileage to justify a diesel economically.

Or the hassle of finding someone to service it.

Oh... you are paying Mercedes prices for parts and labor to service this thing.

It is nearly as bad as the Rialta that was built on a VW chassis once.

Sorry, every mile you go tips in the favor of diesel, remember I did the math. Parts and Labor, I've never spent a dime on labor, my parts for fuel, oil etc are the same as everyone else pays for anything on the road.

Check the diesel forums and you will find plenty of people singing the Bluetechs about diesels, how hard they are to maintain, how many fixes and mods they need, and how much trouble it is.

In a van, the bigger issue is the noise from the engine that need to be real carefully attenuated, and even then, it is way above gas levels.

Actually the diesel is FAR, FAR, FAR, quieter that the equivalent FORD V-10,Chevy, Dodge. PLUS the heat over the dog house of a V-10, or gas engine is unbearable.

Unless you need the Heavy Duty towing part (and that doesn't come with a diesel van), why bother?

Note: Sprinters, gas or diesel, cannot tow much.

CANNOT tow much, WOW - since when does 5,000 pound become NOT MUCH?
You can tow dozens of toads under 5K. And really who buys a van to tow more than 5K anyway. This is a non issue.

BLUE MARBLE

Largo, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO...If you should be so fortunate as to find a relatively low mileage used American Cruiser, you will have entered Class B heaven! Check the floor plan vs Pleasure Way, Leisure Travel, etc and you will soon discover that a rear entry expands the interior and provides a spacious dinette with comfortable seating.

"we are not stopping 'til they come to take us away!"
all 4 kids grown, healthy and ...gone

arvie

michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/12 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 LTV Free spirit with 60,000 miles. Leisure makes an excellent product that has been problem free. I had to replace the exhaust gas recirculator on the sprinter which was handled by my dodge dealer. As long as it is not under warranty they will continue to work on sprinters. Beyond that one problem, I've only had oil and filter changes on the sprinter so far.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Which Class B should we purchase?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS