RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I brought home my new TT and I'm afraid of it!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> I brought home my new TT and I'm afraid of it!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
me and my boys

CT

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron, My dealer shut off the air suspension and told me to keep it off. It is a friction bar as you described. I don't know the air pressure of the Expedition but will check and adjust if needed.

Also,I have an OD button- when should this be used?
Do I ever manually change gears or should I always let the Expy decide?
How am I to know what "feels right" with the brake control? Does it change going down hill or on the highway or in rain?
Does anything need to be adjusted if I travel with full tanks- fresh water, waste and propane?
Are there other questions I should be asking?

Thank you all for your your time and knowledge.I will definately check out the setup and practice, practice, practice.

2008 Ford Expedition
2012 Skyline Joey 268

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't want to travel with full water tank unless going but a few miles. I always carry maybe 10 gallons just for the toilet and then fill tank if at a place with no water (rarity).

I would see if there is a Reese authorized dealer near you and have them check it. There is plenty of advice here but as a novice you can do something wrong easily. Get the pros to help. You don't need to go to "your" dealer if another gets high marks in your area. Most folks can tell you the ones to go to, just ask here or camp on your area and ask fellow campers they also carry a wealth of knowledge from the school of hard knocks.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2015 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
Lifes short enough without bitch'n about it!

taken

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friction sway control is fine for a small utility trailer etc. It is just about useless on a full size TT. I would recommend the Equalizer E4 hitch setup. Works as well as the Reese Dual Cam setup but is light years easier to set up. You can easily do it yourself with no help other than reading the directions. Should cost you a touch under $500 and will eliminate sway altogether. As far as the OD button. Most manufacturers say to have it off when towing. It will be listed in your owners manual. You never need to switch gears manually. Your auto will do it just like when you aren't towing. Ok, brake control. Tow slowly down the road about 8-10 mph. Slide the control all the way to max. If your tires on the trailer lock, it is set to high. If not, you can raise it until they do lock. What you want is for the max braking at full boost without the brakes locking. It's a very easy procedure. Just keep raising it until the brakes lock and then back it off a notch and test again. If they don't lock then your properly set. Other than that, go to a large parking lot as suggested and practice. When you get proper wd/sway control you will be much more confident, I can assure you. That is your biggest problem. Here is a link to the best price on the web and you can read about the hitch. Equalizer Hitch

TV - 2012 F350 SC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2013 Heartland Road Warrior 30C

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

taken wrote:

Friction sway control is fine for a small utility trailer etc. It is just about useless on a full size TT. I would recommend the Equalizer E4 hitch setup. Works as well as the Reese Dual Cam setup but is light years easier to set up.

i completely agree with this. you're towing a trailer nearly 30' long with a friction bar setup!
either add the Dual-Cam to your Reese WDH or get an Equalizer.
and your dealer didn't do you any favors with the Primus BC. it's not a bad BC but the Prodigy is a much better one and made by the same company.

i also suspect that the dealer didn't set it up correctly.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

taken

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

and your dealer didn't do you any favors with the Primus BC. it's not a bad BC but the Prodigy is a much better one and made by the same company.

Right. I have a Prodigy p2 in my van which is my back up tow vehicle. Very high quality for $99. Dealers and accessories are things I refuse to mix. They over charge and undersell. In other words sell you the minimum product for the task and charging full retail or, quite often, more!

Thomas/NH

Exeter, NH

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a copy of the movie "The Long, Long Trailer" all your question and fears will be answered... I bought a copy on Amazon for a friend of mine who was just starting out with a new TT, he said after watching it he felt like a pro.

I know the movie takes place in 1955, but it all so true today. I like part about the brake controller and the car port (good point; always look up!)

Every RV should have a copy of this movie in its library, the movie "RV" is also a requirement. (good reference material)

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you must know that all of us had white knuckles when we started too. you may have them for years to come. could it be that your Tt and your tow vehicle are not matched up properly. if you are not comfortable then let some one else drive and get their option. you may not be set up properly by the dealer. are you getting a lot of sway or just a lot of up and down on the back bumper area? find some one who has towed for a few years to look at it and then make corrections.

Gman22

Burlington, Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

taken wrote:

Friction sway control is fine for a small utility trailer etc. It is just about useless on a full size TT. I would recommend the Equalizer E4 hitch setup. Works as well as the Reese Dual Cam setup but is light years easier to set up.

i completely agree with this. you're towing a trailer nearly 30' long with a friction bar setup!
either add the Dual-Cam to your Reese WDH or get an Equalizer.

X2

OP, take a breath everything will be OK. It appears you have a reasonable pairing between your TT and TV just looking at the numbers. I towed for 2 seasons a 33'/7000 lb. TT with our '03 Expedition and there are a few other members here having equally good success with their Expys. With quality towing hardware that is properly adjusted I'm certain your set-up can be improved significantly.

1st, call your dealer and thank them for such dreadful attention towards a customer who stated this is all very new to them. 2nd, I'd ditch the friction bar, it (in my opinion) is the bare minimum for sway control, they're are far better systems out there for not too much more $$$, they do make nice door stops though . 3rd, adjust the WDH which most dealers NEVER take the time to do.

You are not the first and won't be the last person to be thrown on the road by an RV dealership with a marginal or poorly installed/adjusted towing setup . Take some time, get your manuals and tools and setup/adjust your hardware from the ground up. Believe me, a properly adjusted system can improve your experience dramatically.

Good luck.

2011 KZ Spree 220KS
2006 Ford Expedition Ltd. 5.4 L/3.73

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did no one catch that the air suspension was off!

No wonder he was all over the road and scared!

He probably has a Primus IQ and not the original Primus (like I have). The IQ has the same internals as the Prodigy. The Primus is a proportional controller with a pendulumn.

OP check your owners manual. There may be info in there about adjusting the WD hitch with the air ride. Not 100% sure but I am almost positive there is nothing in there about driving with the air ride off.

Thanks

* This post was last edited 02/23/12 12:31pm by jerem0621 *   View edit history

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

93Cobra2771

East Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

Did no one catch that the air suspension was off!

No wonder he was all over the road and scared!

He probably has a Primus IQ and not the original Primus (like I have). The IQ has the same internals as the Prodigy. The Primus is a proportional controller with a pendulumn.

OP check your owners manual. There may be info in there about adjusting the WD hitch with the air ride. Not 100% sure but I am almost positive there is nothing in there about driving with the air ride off.

Thanks

x2 - get the owners manual out and study up on how to set your WDH on your Expy with the air suspension. I almost guarantee it doesn't say to disable the air suspension.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> I brought home my new TT and I'm afraid of it!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS