|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cable Slide Systems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
rebdjb

Lees Summit, Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went motorhome shopping on Monday and looked at lot of new units in Texas. I noticed that some of the Forest River Berkshire units had a cable system for the slides while others appeared to have hydraulic/electric slides. I asked the salesman and all he could come up with is that the cable system extends and retracts all four corners at the same time. Has anyone had any experience with this cable system? The only thing I can relate to is the nightmare cable system we had on an old popup unit.

Ron Donna, Golden Paws A Striding (Stryder) 3 boys serving proudly 06 F350, PSTD, DRW, 2006 Sandpiper 335RLTS w/TrailAir & Center Point
Lucy left paw prints on our hearts 9/29/93 - 5/16/08

Raymon

Phoenixville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2008 Monaco has the cable system. It is a series of 4 cables and pulleys powered by a 12V motor. It does connect to all 4 corners. Don't know the advantages of this system; maybe less weight, takes up less space or may be less expensive?

Ray

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed this too at the RV show. I know there have been lots of problems with hyd. slides, are the new cable slides the way of the future?

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes I look at slides as just one more thing to break. Yes, that is pessimistic.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rebdjb

Lees Summit, Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do have to admit that we ran a bunch of slides in and out during our 4 hour visit to the dealership everything from the HR Alumalite to a Monaco Diplomat and a used Newmar that talked to my wife as she pressed the switch. The cable system seemed to run smooth where some of the electric only systems were slower and made a fair amount of noise.

FC

Tavistock,Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 10:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Forest River Motorhome has a cable pulley system to control the slide as it goes out, but the push actually comes from a hydraulic cylinder, The cables are just to contol alignment I believe.
JM2CW

2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Family Campers & RVers--- Come Camp With Us
www.fcrv.org

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rebdjb wrote:

Went motorhome shopping on Monday and looked at lot of new units in Texas. I noticed that some of the Forest River Berkshire units had a cable system for the slides while others appeared to have hydraulic/electric slides. I asked the salesman and all he could come up with is that the cable system extends and retracts all four corners at the same time. Has anyone had any experience with this cable system? The only thing I can relate to is the nightmare cable system we had on an old popup unit.

I have two of those. Basically they work quite well.. One of mine has a small problem which I may address some day (or not, it is that small)

Just one word of caution.. Mine are "Accu-slide" units, I suspect yours will be too. I would order and keep handy ONE cable repair kit. You may well never use it but I was not so lucky.

IF a cable ever breaks DO NOT PULL IT OUT till you read the instructions in the kit... I am very serious about this. DO NOT PULL IT OUT.

I was able to fish a new cable in but it was a mel of a hess as they say...

Each slide has eight cables, 4 for IN 4 for OUT, only one of mine broke.

They work well.

One other thing. Like power gear slides and Kwickee steps they use a current sensor, not a limit switch, to stop the motor.

The one of mine that has the minor problem likes to "Stall" about 2 inches before it's fully in.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

most of the thought behind the cable thing is weight, then it is the problems and mess of the other older systems. yes cables break and they will wear holes in the grommets in the track system, but they are a big improvement in slides.

univmd

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of our bedrooms slides is a cable unit. It isn't perfect. There are metal shavings left on the carpet whenever we put out the slide. Looks like a grommet is rubbing on a cable as it is going in and out. The cables are the ones doing the pushing and pulling, there is no arm doing it. How well a slide system works depends on how well it was installed, not what kind of system it is.

2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Accuslide cable slides have been out for YEARS. They are not common now due to the problems when the cables break. I was suprised that they still had new units that used the slide cable system as I have not seen them in a few years on new units. The newest from a few years ago is the side gear driven Schwintek system which also has been a failure after a few years and most OEM's have dropped Accuslide and Schwintek on higher priced RV's and have gone to the proven traditional Bottom single motor and Hydraulic. You will see Schwintek and Accuslide on the lower priced Trailers. I would NOT have either Accuslide or Scwintek on MY RV and would be a dealbreaker for me on any unit that has them. Doug

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cable Slide Systems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS