RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Do RVers Contribute to Society?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do RVers Contribute to Society?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Brent and Gina

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had an unusual conversation yesterday and the result ended up tugging at my heart some. Only some, mind you. As you may or may not know, Gina and I are retiring. While speaking with a another manager who is retiring near our date, the conversation turned to, "What are you going to do after you retire?" I gave my usual "Travel" answer. Got an unusual look from him as if he wanted me to say more. So, I elaborated some on travel plans such as RV, cruises, etc, etc. After he saw I wasn't going to add more, and after some discussion, he told me that we can do pretty much do anything we want "...as long as we continue to contribute to society." I thought it unusual, but didn't want to delve into the conversation any longer as I felt a religious-backed discussion could begin and I wasn't up to it.

My personal thoughts are simple. I have a giving plan (charity and other) and yes, it will decrease some with a more limited retirement income. I help family when needed. I volunteer to help others when I see or feel the need. I've served my country for most of my life. Now, I will continue to do these things as I determine, but I also feel like I get to do what I want as well. And for now, that means most of my attention, actions, and efforts will be on the wife and me.

I'm not asking you if what I am going to do is justified or not in your opinion. My thoughts pretty much in order. I want to know your thoughts about the subject line. So, as RVers, do we contribute to society? Should we? How should we? To what degree? Preferably, without judging others, what are your thoughts?

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, RVers contribute to society. Tourism is the major industry in many places, you help support their industry. There are many other ways they contribute. Don't worry about the manager's comments.

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVers as a whole are too diverse to lump together. Individuals can contribute and many do.

When you travel you contribute to the local economy of the areas you visit.

Charitable giving of course as you mentioned.

Many RVers volunteer either in an organized fashion or casually. We can contribute to and better the lives of everyone we touch.

It sounds as if your co-worker is either a snob or simply is basing opinions on a possibly erroneous preconceived notion.

A poor man seeks riches, a rich man seeks power, but a wise man seeks contentment.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

Macktee

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife will retire in one year, I personally love what I do and intend to keep doing it on a lighter schedule. My belief is that, like one person said,Rvers are very diverse. Those still coming up through the ranks do have more of an obligation to contribute than the ones who have done it for so many years.I don't mean that we quit caring, just that with the lifestyle, and in many cases, a more limited income, and as long as we still get out and move around with our loved ones and friends, we are doing our part. Macktee

04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2011 Dodge Journey
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car

nina_70

On wheels, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're spending money while travelling you are contributing to the local economy in a big way!! Tourism is a major business in many spots. It's most certainly a contribution.

Plenty of other ways to contribute too (volunteering etc.) on the road, but that's a personal choice. Even this forum is a contribution! Helping others to solve RV problems and find solutions (and we're all doing it for free too :

12 paws, 40-feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.us

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

beemerphile1 wrote:

RVers as a whole are too diverse to lump together. Individuals can contribute and many do.

Ditto.

I don't see what being an RV'er has to do with anything, any more than lumping together homeowners or people who live in apartments or people who enjoy bowling or playing bridge as a hobby.

Some RV'ers do planned, organized volunteer work (what I think your acquaintance was probably thinking of). Some help out their friends, family or neighbors whenever there's a need. Some have a talent for saying just the right encouraging words to people who need to hear them. Some use their money to "contribute to society" rather than their time or skills. Some do all of the above.

And some few of any group are likely complete drains on society, barely managing to exist themselves, let alone contribute to anyone/anything else in anything resembling a worthwhile manner.

But most people, regardless of their lifestyle or hobbies, "contribute to society" in some way.

Me and the DH
Two boys and two dogs (and two cats who prefer to stay home)
2008 Forest River Georgetown 350DS (bunkhouse model)
2001 Honda CR-V

Mountain Traveler

Rocky Mountain National Park

View Profile

Many of us continue to work and travel. Although we are not retired yet and full time many of those that are retired still work on the road doing various things.

I know I love my 'job' that I do for 7 months a year work camping at a large rv park in Colorado, and when I do retire will continue to do it.

Contributing? Hopefully all the tourists I help with their plans of a great vacation and things to do in the area is considered contributing.

Fleetwood Discovery Diesel Pusher with Jeep Unlimited Toad.

2Rovers

First Star to the Right.........

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope you didn't work directly for this person. Sounds like a controlling jerk. It is no one's business how or if you contribute to anything. That's the problem now days, everyone wants to dictate what you should or shouldn't do. Tell him to lay off the lemons for breakfast and get a life LOl

I think sometimes we forget that the freedoms we have are freedoms not because of celebrities. The freedoms are because of ordinary people who did extraordinary things, who loved this country more than life itself.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EVERYONE contributes to society in one way or another. RVers are nothing but a microcosm of society in general and all elements are represented. Some make a very positive contribution and others a negative one. MOST of the folks I'm sure feel that their contributions are positive and some of those folks may be wrong.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

musicmole

Everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who cares YOU'RE RETIRED!!! Have fun.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do RVers Contribute to Society?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues