RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Do RVers Contribute to Society?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do RVers Contribute to Society?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the question do we contribute to Society or the economy assuming there is a difference?
Whenever we get back from a vacation and get our Discover bill we know we have contributed to the economy of wherever we visited.
We contribute to Society when we get home and do our various good deeds in our area.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

Brent and Gina

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Is the question do we contribute to Society or the economy assuming there is a difference?
Whenever we get back from a vacation and get our Discover bill we know we have contributed to the economy of wherever we visited.
We contribute to Society when we get home and do our various good deeds in our area.

Hummm. Pertinent question. I took his statement to mean something along the lines of: Those who can contribute to mankind in a positive way have an obligation to do so. Visions in my mind were involvement in church activities, ladeling soup at soup kitchens, contructing homes for the homeless, giving proportional $$ to charities, volunteering to read to old folks, etc, etc. You know, basically selfless activities.

I hadn't considered some of the responses I've heard. Some of you justify my thoughts although honestly, I don't really need the justification. I'm not changing my plans. I'm just curious how you individually feel. We tend to lump ourselves together even though the only thing we really have in common is the type of box that surrounds us from time-to-time. It appears we're somewhat unified in the "we stimulate the economy" realm.

RoadLife

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd get out the BIG ERASER and wipe that person's name off my want-to-know list.

ROADLIFE

RoadLife USA 2014 Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

Tech Dude

Torrance

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You just open a job

MTPockets1

USA - Usually West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

"Do RVers Contribute to Society?"

By the time we retire, IMO, we have made all the "contributions to society" that any reasonable person could expect (and possibly more). To say that a retiree owes even more "contributions to society" is, IMO, sheer idiocy!

Even if you do no more than eat, sleep, and excrete waste, you are "contributing".

Tell the fool to go suck eggs!

Was ready to reply and saw this..... Ditto what was said here...

Who is this fool who thinks he has to judge.....?

2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of RV'ers do, but I've seen some who probably don't. There are good and bad campers in every lot.

As for the comments that guy made to you, it seems he was way out of line and overstepped his boundaries. You handled it well, I think I'd have to have snapped a comment to him, something along the lines of that isn't your business what I do when I retire. The way I see it, retirees earned that priveledge and even if they do nothing else they are not in the wrong.

Delaine and Lindy

Linden Tn. (The View)

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That question should be ask in Florida, with out RVer's, transplants, and snowbirds what would Florida do????? Happy Trails....

P.S. 85 degrees today.........

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's LTZ ******Traded******
Trailer Saver Air Ride (SOLD) (Sold)

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3, with vanity slide (SOLD)

"Montana" our Sweet Furr Kid
12/21/10 "RIP" miss you!!

We are BLESSED!!!!

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Those who can contribute to mankind in a positive way have an obligation to do so."

Says who?
After 34 years of "contributions" to my country and State, I don't feel I have any further "obligation" to contribute. However, with amateur radio activities furnishing communications for various activities in the county, I do give back some, now and then.
We won't discuss the government's obligations to fulfill the promises made to us so many years ago...

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think most people contribute to society in some form or another. The people who lived off other people's money during their working years will probably continue to do so in their retirement, whatever that is. But, if you believe you can find something good in everyone, even those folks can can some redeeming social value; at least I'd like to think so. And no, I don't feel guilty at all about being retired and enjoying whatever years are left for me.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

slarsen

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read the OP, and it kinda reminded me of an incident years ago: a woman asked what my wife did for a living, and I said she stays home raising our two small kids. She sneered and said something to the effect that she's not contributing . . . whatever. A slacker, I guess.

Like others have said, what's it to them???

RVing contributes more, I think, then my sitting around at my stick home, waiting for better weather so I can get out there and travel and spend money!

The best part of retirement? I'm not responsible for anyone, anytime. No hiring, no firing, no meeting a payroll, no unreasonable customers. I'm barely responsible for myself!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Do RVers Contribute to Society?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS