RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Natchez Trace Highway, Nashville to Tupelo

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Natchez Trace Highway, Nashville to Tupelo

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
WMMitchell81554

Elverson, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can anyone tell me if I will have any issues traveling from Nashville TN to Tupelo MS via the Natchez Trace Highway due to size or length? My coach is 50ft long and 13'6' high, length with toad 72ft. If no issues, do you have any special things to see or do along the way? Many thanks in advance!

50ft Kingsley Coach Custom, towing GMC Crew Cab

WillieD

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tupelo is as far north as we've been. There is a good car museum and Elvis' boyhood home in Tupelo. Meriwether Lewis, of Lewis & Clark was killed on the Trace close to the Tenn-Alabama line. Go on the internet and look up Natchez Trace. Sorry I cann't offer more help. But someone one here will have some good advise.

WillieD,MaryLee,and Sid
Fleetwood Excursion 40X & 2011 Colorado 4X4 Toad

racer99

channahon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check further down this forum as I too asked the same question and got some good info-We leave Il the 1st and we also will be traveling on the Natchez trail from Nashville Tn to Natchez MS--Good luck and safe travels--Rich
1991 Bounder/454/p30 chassis/31'
pauperspride.blogspot.com

* This post was edited 02/23/12 09:04am by racer99 *

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nashville to Hgw 412, or the M. Lewis monument, will be quite difficult with that size rig. Although it is a motor home, the size and weight may cause difficulties. The road is not designed or built for big or heavy loads, and has no shoulders in most places. That is why commercial traffic is prohibited. From there south, the road is OK, mostly straight with milder curves and hills. Advise I40 to Jackson, then down us45 south.

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 Poodle

xctraveler

Livingston TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have run the NTP several times in our 36 footer with tow'd. I do not think the road will pose any problem for you. OTOH the NP campgrounds may be a real issue and you may need to find commercial places off the road. Speed limit is mostly 50 and as I remember there are no significant grades.

All turnouts are marked if they do not provide pull through access and only one has a low clearance (11 something) and it is very clearly marked so you would not even consider getting boxed.

Have fun - 50 feet? I thought legal max was 45!

Paul
Trucking down the road in our 2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The road is kind narrow but we never felt pinched or uncomfortable.
The only problem we encountered was they were repaving sections.
I had to get out of the coach and move the cones so we could get by.
There is no shoulder in many sections and it is soft and on a hill many times. Some of the sections being paved we could have gotten the left wheels off the pavement but we would never have gotten them back on. We would have possibly dragged the coach on the pavement edge. We might have sunk in too.

sowego

northwestern corner of the Nebraska panhandle

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We traveled that exact route once in our 38' with toad. We had no trouble but beware, the one park we stayed at (near Lewis memorial site) was rustic (no hook-ups at all) with very tight sites (lots of trees). I'd bet you can get in there but I think I'd unhook the toad before entering. Most of the other places to pull off are ok for large rigs. The road is indeed a narrow 2 laner with lower speed limit (45 mph) so you have no choice but to take your time. Stop often to see the sights. It's a very beautiful ride. This highway isn't like most state or federal highways...I don't recall commercial enterprises along the way so be sure you are fueled up, filled with enough fresh water for the trip, with empty waste tanks and have food onboard. I don't know about any other campgrounds.

2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

ronfisherman

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The mininum clearance on the park maps is 14.5. No listing for length or weight. Having run from Nashville to Jackson several times. I do not believe you will have any problems with a little caution on the north end. I have seen Prevost MH's on the Trace.

2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A
TST tire pressure monitor system
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad
Kodiak Chassis Class C Forum

edm3rd

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tennessee max length is 65 feet, lower on the Trace.

Added - Fed reg 36 CFR 7.43 - Natchez Trace Parkway shows overall vehicle plus trailer/toad length maximum as 55 feet.

Please be aware the Trace is patrolled by federal park ranger/LEO's - have heard all my life they issued expensive tickets - also speed limit is mostly 50mph, lower in certain areas.

* This post was last edited 02/24/12 02:45pm by edm3rd *   View edit history

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Natchez Trace Highway, Nashville to Tupelo
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS