|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> GPS INQUIRY

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lug_Nut

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have a Rand McNally even though I have an in-dash Pioneer. The Rand M. comes with a mounting bracket and out performs both my motor home Pioneer unit and my in-car Escalade unit.
I really like the Rand M for its adaptability to RV rig sizes. Also the Woodall's information is available with free downlaod. You can switch from RV to car allowing it to be a multi-function navigation unit.
I am very pleased with the Rand M.

'07 Newmar Essex 45' ISM 500 4 slides

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have friends that have an in dash unit and it can't be "searched" for stores/restaurants/etc. while the vehicle is in motion. now before anybody starts whining, the passenger can operate the on top the dash units.
bumpy

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 04:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

that post reminds me of a recommendation that was made to me when ordering a vehicle with in-dash GPS. After you have settled on a deal, tell the salesman that you will take it with one more thing tossed in that will not cost the dealer anything/much but will save you a couple of hundred dollars a year. have him put in the contract that you get lifetime updates to the data base. the dealer just updates it from his "stuff" which costs him nothing and you save $$$$.
bumpy

just me

Salt Lake City Utah USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do the RM, some times Camping world has a special if ordered @ a certain time you get free updates for life. RM also has a few others and around the same price and they might have the life time updates. Get the anti-glare screen protector, the glare is bad and hard to see the screen.
Searching a round I found Amazon had the best price so far for the 5510 and 7710.

95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

J Walker

Oakton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use DeLorme Street Atlas on my laptop and really like the large screen. It has worked for me for over ten years and I have no plans to change.

Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

huffmeister

Travelling

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donee wrote:

DW and I are looking into replacing our GPS unit for our
Monaco.
Although Id like to have an indash unit, I'v started looking
at dash mount units.
Id like to know what the consenus is using and how well
they work for you.
Thanks.

I had a Kenwood In-Dash unit that worked fairly well until the display died. Cost to repair was almost the same as the original cost plus the updated database DVD cost IIRC $800. I yanked it out and put a radio/stereo/DVD player in its place. Then I got a handheld Garmin with a big enough screen for my tired old eyes to see.

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have went from MS S&T's on a laptop, to a 4.3 Tom Tom, to now a 5 inch Garmin that can have a route downloaded into it from MS S&T's. I love my current setup.

Since you have a class A remember you'll more then likely need a GPS in the toad when you're out and about. Lugging a laptop around in a toad is not the way unless you have a very large toad that can support it.

Tom Tom was OK for us except it could not have a route downloaded to it from a laptop. This is important to me since creating a route on a laptop gives you many PC options (drop and drag, etc...) to work with, features that a GPS simple does not have. Create the route, and ship it into the GPS is wonderful.

Garmin just seems to be rock solid for us. Has all the bells and whistles is easy to move from MH to Toad, and by far is the hands down winner for us. Garmin is also the only brand that MS S&T's can interface with (GPS model has to handle at least 100 waypoints though.)

just me

Salt Lake City Utah USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do have the laptop of the smaller variety, with Co-pilot live 10 and they are cumbersome in a car, no place to put them. Truck is fine, but not handy you need a stand to put them on so you can see them.

PAIRAJAYS

Washingston State

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can find one, I would suggest a Garmin Street Pilot 7200. Garmin still supports them but they are out of production. They have a 7" screen and includes an FM xmitter which allows you to play pre-recorded music through your in dash radio while traveling. I've seen some advertised for around $700. I paid $300 for mine several years ago.

Jim E

TripleE

Traveling the country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Rand McNally 7710 is what we have. We picked it up in Quartzsite but it is available on Amazon for a good price and with free lifetime maps. So far we love it. Changed the voice to the guy as the DH can hear him better.

Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> GPS INQUIRY
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes