|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> GPS INQUIRY

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ob·so·lete (bs-lt, bs-lt)
adj.
1. No longer in use: an obsolete word.
2. Outmoded in design, style, or construction: an obsolete locomotive.
3. Biology Vestigial or imperfectly developed, especially in comparison with other individuals or related species; not clearly marked or seen; indistinct. Used of an organ or other part of an animal or plant.
tr.v. ob·so·let·ed, ob·so·let·ing, ob·so·letes
To cause to become obsolete

This is from an on-line web enabled dictionary. I veiw Funk and Wag what? as ob·so·lete

Rochester, Mn

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got an obsolete GPS also. However, it acquires the satellites quickly, shows exit lane, easy to program, and is very intuitive to use. It's 4 years old and the company got out of the automotive GPS business. It's a Lowrance iWay 600C.

But, alas, there are no updates for new roads. However, I won't be buying a new one as long as this once keeps working as I can also use maps for the few new roads that aren't on its data base.

Some good deals on used ones on Ebay.

Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

wa_desert_rat

Central Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are now several GPS units specifically aimed at the truck/RV market that offer the ability to configure the route to avoid places you might not want to take your unit. Low clearances, forbidden ("no trucks or RVs") roads, etc. They generally have 7" screens which makes them easier to view in the larger cockpits of Class A motor homes and they often have traffic updates.

They are also expensive... generally around $400.

I know lots of RVers who use Streets and Maps from Microsoft on a mobile laptop... and others who use a program called "Co-Pilot" which is software for a PC (and smartphones and tablets) that works in conjunction with a separate GPS receiver (for PCs). Most of us use off-the-shelf GPS units designed for automobiles.

There is another option.

There is a version of Co-Pilot that comes on a micro SD chip which can be plugged into two Magellan GPS units and, like a denizen from some 1950s horror film, take control of the Magellan and form an entirely new unit. The Magellan I bought was a 1700LM (a 7" screen unit). The micro SD chip installs in a slot on the top of the Magellan to turn it into an RV/truck GPS unit that is much more configurable than the 1700LM alone.

And if you want the 1700LM back, just remove the micro SD chip and it's back.

I have not yet ventured out with the RV using the Co-Pilot chipset but the 1700 (on its own) tried to steer us onto a street in Chelan, WA that was specifically signed to preclude "trucks and RVs"); one reason I bought the Co-Pilot chip, actually.

Co-Pilot is quite configurable and allows you to tell it you are driving an RV (or truck) but not configurable enough to tell it how high or long your unit is (at least not that I've found yet). You could tell it you are driving a tractor-trailer, however.

Route selection is extensive with detours available. You can tell the unit what speeds you will be driving on what sorts of roads (Interstates, local streets, etc.). You can also avoid propane-restricted bridges and tunnels.

Pricing was, as of just before Christmas of 2011, $149 for the 1700LM (at Amazon) and $68 for the Co-Pilot chipset (also from Amazon).

Worth a look.

Craig

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieharder wrote:

I just bought a Garmin 1450LMT. Will pick it up next week. $140 at Wally World. Lifetime maps and traffic, lane assist. There is absolutely no need to pay $300+ on a supposedly RV specific unit that does exactly the same darn thing, but has campground listings in it. There is no way for ANY GPS model to know the height of every overpass on every back-country road there is.

my garmin takes a SD? chip on which those campgrounds, other POIS, etc. can be installed.
bumpy

Hudsoner

Hudson

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Effy wrote:

I have a new GPS, and other than some features it still works the same way as my 4 year old one. Typing this post on a 5 year old laptop. It ain't gas powered or green screen either. I would not consider a 5 year old laptop, tv, gps, car etc obsolete. If it still works for you, can still keep it updated then obsolete would not apply. It's when it stops being supported and can no longer be updated that it begins to become obsolete.

I see it the way you do. My Lowrance iWay 500 is obsolete (sadly enough) because it is not supported anymore.

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a Garmin 1450LMT. Will pick it up next week. $140 at Wally World. Lifetime maps and traffic, lane assist. There is absolutely no need to pay $300+ on a supposedly RV specific unit that does exactly the same darn thing, but has campground listings in it. There is no way for ANY GPS model to know the height of every overpass on every back-country road there is.

1999 Itasca Sunrise

BobGed

Carson City, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PAIRAJAYS wrote:

If you can find one, I would suggest a Garmin Street Pilot 7200. Garmin still supports them but they are out of production. They have a 7" screen and includes an FM xmitter which allows you to play pre-recorded music through your in dash radio while traveling. I've seen some advertised for around $700. I paid $300 for mine several years ago.

Jim E

If anyone is looking for a Street Pilot 7200, let me know as I have one available. Email me for complete details.

2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Your Old Dog

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PAIRAJAYS wrote:

If you can find one, I would suggest a Garmin Street Pilot 7200. Garmin still supports them but they are out of production. They have a 7" screen and includes an FM xmitter which allows you to play pre-recorded music through your in dash radio while traveling. I've seen some advertised for around $700. I paid $300 for mine several years ago.

Jim E

Ditto that! I have a Garmin handheld, two Nuvi used on my harleys and one indash in the car and one in the tow'd. I also got screwed on 2 $600 ($1200.00 freaking dollars)so called truckers gps units that we do not use as they are worthless because they only give you an aerial view of where you are, not where you're going. They also routed me up through Canada and I travel with firearms. I told the guy I was there by mistake and asked if I could make a U-turn and he said "yes, wait a minute, are you carrying any firearms?" I can't lie to those guys so that took two hours to clear up that mess. My favorite of all is the StreetPilot 7200. I have considered buying another as a spare because nothing works better for me.

Unless tomorrow has been promised to you, you better get busy today.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> GPS INQUIRY
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS