RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How far will you travel when fuel hits...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How far will you travel when fuel hits...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy ,they don,t make less money ,the oil companies just sell the fuel we save to other countrys that actually pay more for it. so there making more off what we save.

wandering1

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ng2951 wrote:

Just a quick survey. How far will you drive if gasoline (for diesel assume about $0.50/gallon more) and give you approximate home base rig type (basically how light or big you are). Also how many total miles you intend to travel vs last year's total for example (these are my plans the number under the amount are the number of trips).

Diesel 8,000# TH
Mileage $3.80 $4.00 $4.20 $4.50 $4.75 $5.00
100 10 10 10 10 5 2
400 3 2 2 1 0 0
1,200 1 1 1 ? ? ?
2,000 1 1 1 1 ? ?

Last Year/This Year
5,500 / 3,800 (300 miles YTD)

Home: Near New Orleans, Louisiana

As you can see I have a diesel TV that pulls about 8K# TH. The pardette and I camp about once a month close by, and only if fuel prices really go into the stratosphere would we cut down on those.
I have cancelled one of my 400 miler vacations because I want to try to go to Wyoming this summer.

Friends of mine in my same area have said if prices hit $4.50/gal they are cancelling their New Mexico trip.

HR

Homer

Northeast Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I am going to quit the RV life altogether. There comes a point when the cost of a hobby outweighs the benefits. I have been doing it for 40+ years and the curve has finally crossed (cost based on ROI). I can afford it, but there comes a point when it becomes folly. If I had a 5th wheel I would have it towed to a nearby lake and leave it set. But I don't.

ng2951

Louisiana, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 11:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am much more interested in determining the break point on people RVing and the regions that may be impacted by the reduction in travel and activities associated with it.

So far, it seems most will pay any price to RV. I am not sure how much I believe that, but people have their signature on that. It seems that some of the later folks are thinking $4.50 is their tipping point.

Those that posted trailer info looks like they are in the 8 MPG range. The projections of $5/gal looks like the max most people are considering for travel anywhere but local.

So far, most of the posts have good info in them. The more people who post with actual data the better the info will be.

Homer at what price do you think you might stop? How low might if have to go to reconsider?

Thanks so far,

* This post was edited 02/23/12 12:03pm by ng2951 *

Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Lady & Chloe
2012 Unleashed 27SBU
2014 42 days camping
2013 39 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just bought a Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 6.0 Mega Cab
(and the mega cab is to die for believe me. back seats recline there is so much room!)

haul a 9,800 lb. 32 ft Hornet with 2 slides.

I am not limiting anything. We go. We save money elsewhere whenever possible and camp!

but we camp easy. We gear towards state parks (like Huntington at about $28-30 per night vs. Apache in Myrtle just upped to $76 per night)

We rarely 'go to tourist spots and spent $200-300 on aquariums/amuse parks and that type of thing. We use the actual beach as our entertainment. Swim, fish, metal detecting, play/sun/body surf/relax.

So 'our type of camping' actually doesn't cost that much in the end vs. how someone else might enjoy their vacations.....so I do have bucks to spend on the gas to get there.

So we do the best we can and plan as many trips as we want, as far as we want. when they get a 'tad' expensive do to length of drive, I find ways to make it happen--and I am grateful that it works out that way.

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No one ever said RVing would be cheap...

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

Pogoil

Oregon Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are the facts,

You only get to live so long. And no one knows how long that is for any given individual.

Nothing gets less expensive over time so enjoy now because in 5 years it will cost more.

This is a fine country get out and see it.

Pogoil.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

I really can not see why they raise the prices of gas. for one thing, when they do it just keeps people from driving more so they actually get less money for their wallets and the states get less money for taxes thus the roads suffer and it hurts all the way down the line so the economy hurts too. I ride a Honda scooter in the fair weather days of the year. I save a lot of money every month. we will be camping closer to home and maybe even boon docking. so the economy will suffer a lot unless the gov steps in and does something, face it gas was only $189 when obumma took over.

not for this thread.
Take you whine to the fuel prices thread.
Maybe listen to what the president said today as it makes scense not just politics.
Learn about the issues before you whine.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2015 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
Lifes short enough without bitch'n about it!

jwrightabq

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The day I decide when and where to go RVing based on current gas prices is the day I put the trailer up for sale. Gas will go up; I knew that when we bought the trailer. As long as we have the money to spend, this is how we choose to spend it.

John

2010 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 5.4 4x4
2011 Lance 2285
2008 Acura MDX (still own but not to tow)
2006 Fleetwood Timberlake pop-up (SOLD)

MTPockets1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year we drove 6 months in our MH 18,033 miles from Florida to Alaska and zigzagged the U.S. west for a while. Averaged 9.2 MPG (Gas) and paid an overall average of $4.45/gal... That includes gas as high as $6.38/gal in Yukon Territory, Canada (converted from liters and adjusted for U.S.Dollar) As soon as we got into Canada gas went from $3.70/Gal in Washington to $4.45/Gal in Vancouver (converted $) ... Prices went higher the further north we travelled unti we reached Alaska, when it came back down to earth at under $4.00/gal.

This year our plans are U.S. West again in our new 5th wheel, and estimated 12MPG .... probably about 8,000 miles .... Deisel prices will be whatever they will be but plans will remain the same ............ We only go around once in life so why leave it to the kids?

2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How far will you travel when fuel hits...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS