RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How long before this becomes the new Class B?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> How long before this becomes the new Class B?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

ArmySFCRet wrote:

NewsW wrote:

The real negative is that there are few of them on the road, so that gets you in to the Sprinter problem of too few dealers, expensive and scarce parts, and do on.

Since it is on a Titan chassis and is Nissan, I don't think parts or service would be an issue. Plenty of dealers for Nissan.

There are not many Titans on the road... a rather distant competitor to the high volume pickups.

Take a close look at the NV (and Titan) and I started mentally calculating what it cost to keep it running for the fleet manager.

Too many things placed in obviously fragile locations (like things hanging right behind grill in front), lights that are expensive (vs. the Ford option for square headlamps), pegs that stick out of doors to allow doors to open completely that can easily cause damage as driver backs into warehouse.

Or the console that blocks movement straight back into rear without getting out of truck.

I also have questions as to whether standard racking etc. would fit on it... or is it special order.

Many of these things... add up to a negative for me.

That is before I start asking about whether the tranny had an option for a power take off, upfitter switches inside, can it be wired for 2nd alternator easily, etc. etc.

Same parts also as the Armada, and we have the same V8 in our Pathfinder, so I think parts will not be a problem.

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do a search in this forum, you will find more info about the Nissan Van. It has been discussed a few times before.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were doing a minimalist 2WD camper van conversion, either DIY or as a manufacturer, I'd sure look at it very closely. And I'm wondering how much hassle it would be to add the Titan's 4WD system to it.... or if Nissan has plans to do so in the future.

Hospitals & and package delivery services around here have some Ford and GM vans with 3rd party 4WD conversions, for winter mobility. That market might support enough sales to make it worthwhile, with RV applications as a bonus.

My dad's Datsun 210 was a wonderfully reliable car; it blew a fuse in the idle circuit & the trunk latch failed, and that's the only issues it had in 90,000+ hard-driven miles. His Nissan 310, which I inherited almost new, was the most miserable POS I've ever owned, and that's saying something. Haven't been back, or even maintained any awareness of their quality level, since that experience.

Jim, "Some people cause happiness wherever they go.... others, whenever they go."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

loving retirement

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ArmySFCRet wrote:

mumkin wrote:

I wonder if they have plans to make it larger... and add some HP...

Finally Fulltiming wrote:

Don't think so - looks kinda short & the "maximum payload of 3925 lbs" is a bit short also.

Compared to an Econoline or GM full size and with the engine out front what more would you need?

I don't know about you, but for me that engine out front is taking up some really valuable interior living space. I will stick with the Express, no engine out front idea, a quiet running engine with little or no noise inside the van and a very smooth controlled ride.

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find these intriguing, and have looked at the plans at Sportsmobile, but they really need to add an extended length version...

2009 Trail-Sport TS21RBH
2008 Toyota Sienna

McK

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will become "the" B for those folks whose needs/requirements it will satisfy. But not for me. Which doesn't make it bad, just something I wouldn't want. Just as I do not want to own a $1,000,000 40ft Class A.

Robert
2006 Sportsmobile Sprinter

MAU MAU

New Hampshire and Maine

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 06:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are quite a few of these in New Hampshire. I talked to two contractors who owned them and they absolutely loved them. I looked inside and the vehicle certainly has a lot of possibilities with a few modifications.

Roadtrek 170 Popular

retired4fun2002

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a RT owner, I am betting this new "team" thinks they hit on a winner. I would also bet that PW and other B's are thanking RT for this happening - it will increase their sales. Safe travels.

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

atreis wrote:

I find these intriguing, and have looked at the plans at Sportsmobile, but they really need to add an extended length version...

Exactly my thought... if they plan to compete with the Sprinter, they need a longer option too.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero

"B"usy

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We saw the Roadtrek version at the Chicago RV Show in Rosemont last weekend. Interesting and cool ( like all class B's) but just not for us.

David

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> How long before this becomes the new Class B?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS