RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Solar on the go.........

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Solar on the go.........

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
woodhog

NS

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is neat...

This might work for boondockers with moderate power requirements?

Just throw it in the back seat and off you go...

Portable wiring to your existing system etc...

2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow Longbox 200 Watts Solar, LED lights.
12 Volt DC Fridge.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Yup, neat, and ultra expensive per watt. Solar materials costs are now under $2.50 per watt. The original solar suitcase is $1000.00 or $25.00 per watt.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 03:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, I think it's neat... since this one meets medical standards it will have been tested extensively.

a $1000 seems like a big number but is really is pocket change to many... how much is your phone/internet/tv bills per month... how much was your new TV

how much was the fridge in your camper... how many hours do you use it a year?

... and it is a lot cheaper per watt than hauling it around attached to a very expensive RV... (a few people are obcessed by price without looking at real costs.) A $60,000 truck + a $45 truck camper just to haul around 200W PVSolar and a couple of AGM batteries

I can think of many uses... from military... to construction contractors... to geological expeditions,,, ski patrols... or a day on the lake fishing... (the fishfinder could cost half of that or more)

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 05:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Like it, too.

This appears to be a medical-grade piece of equipment, along with expensive laptop & cell phone, and data-logger medical-grade connections. The case looks like a Pelican-Mobile medical case (just the hardened case would be in the $300 range).

The battery used inside the mobile medical unit appears to be the same/similar batteries we are using in our home-office UPS (uninterruptable power supply units that power our computers {and security systems} in the event of a prolonged power outage). I recall paying $120 per sealed replacement battery, alone!

If you study the geographical areas where these units are deployed (the most harsh environments on Earth, like: heavy jungle, Sahara desert region, and many other climate brutal locales), the electronic protection encasement must be formidable.

I want 3.

Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very James Bond

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'92 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 1.6
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
'10 Citroen DS3 1.6 turbo

GratefulOne

Cape Lookout

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool deal! This is making a permanent solar install a more realistic goal for me- although it won't be nearly as James Bond'ish.

2oldman

Wilbur WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

woodhog wrote:

This might work for boondockers with moderate power requirements?
Moderate? No. Extreeeeeemly light. Maybe.

This is a medical unit. Ripoff for our uses. Solar is getting extremely gimmicky these days.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

post # 2 priced it at $1000.. $25/watt

companys have to make a profit... so the cost of componets never are the cost of the product... someone pays labor costs

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not mean to sound negative, but what I see there is off the shelf component parts, not especially expensive or hard to get. The only exception might be the plastic case. I have never tried to find that type of case, so have no idea as to how difficult it would be to find and at what cost.

It is well packaged, and appears solidly built. I guess I missed the $1000 cost.

Wayne

Grub

Pierre

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll never understand these "solar generators" and such.
Sure they'll put out 110V power and power 'just about anything' but once that deep cycle battery is dead it's dead.

If you used 1000watt hours worth of power and killed the battery it's going to have to wait until that 1000watt hours is repaid. With the tiny solar panel that could take up to 3 days to fully recharge.

It's a sales gimmick and nothing else.

Any day enjoying the great outdoors beats any day enjoying your 8x8 office cube!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Solar on the go.........
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS