RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Standed in Class B Update- Now with video, any ideas?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Standed in Class B Update- Now with video, any ideas?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
tylerdurdeno9

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Youtube video

So at this point there are three possibilities.

1- A previous owner removed the fuel filter.

2- The filter is mounted above/in the tank.

3- I am an idiot and did not see the fuel filter.

After watching this video what do you guys think? Did some xplorers come with the filter in the tank? Am I just going to have to drop the tank?

Chris

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple way is to ask the dealer where it is.

There has to be a filter that is readily replaceable --- not like the screen that is not expected to be replaced in the tank.

If you don't see it, it is probably somewhere in the engine area.

Since you have lines that are removable easily, to not do a pressure and volume test makes no sense, unless you like to create repair work that may or may not be necessary.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/images/bl319lib.htm

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really doubt that Xplorer made mods to the fuel supply system, but they may have added tankage or other stuff that hides things. I vote for 'keep looking'. But I haven't viewed the vid yet; slow connection, and headed to lunch (Chinese buffet, yay!).

Jim, "The older I get, the better I was."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Autozone has a picture of the fuel filter. Looks like it is chassis mounted and has the input and output on the same end.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, O.P.!

Lots of other, equally knowledgeable guys responded to The thread you started last night on this problem. They're probably not going to be watching for entirely new threads for updates.
If you want folks to stick with you they will, but rather than starting a new thread with each new development, I think you'd be better off keeping the problem to a single thread...

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

tylerdurdeno9

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

Hey, O.P.!

Lots of other, equally knowledgeable guys responded to The thread you started last night on this problem. They're probably not going to be watching for entirely new threads for updates.
If you want folks to stick with you they will, but rather than starting a new thread with each new development, I think you'd be better off keeping the problem to a single thread...

I honestly figured the opposite. I figured if it was a problem the admin would just delete the thread.

1995brave- that is the filter I have but there is absolutely no fuel filter along the lines. I called a dodge dealer and they mentioned that when conversions are done things get moved around alot. For all I know this van was not even equipped with a fuel filter.

Chris

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At the very begining of your video, the bolt that is in the chassis rail, i think is the mounting bolt for the filter. And one of those two lines with the clamps on them goes to and from the filter. Not really sure about your year, my Dodge Vans were 1972, 1997, and 1999. I still have the service manual for the 97 at home, i'll check and see if the filter is in the same place yet.

landyacht318

Near a large body of water

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've spent many hours under my Dodge van, which is an '89, and your video kind of gave me a case of vertigo.

Did you say the fuel lines go up and over the tranny?

There is no MAF sensor so no worries about the K&N oil contaminating that.

A loud Pump is an unhappy pump. As I said in my other thread, When mine became loud enough to hear over my flowmaster 50 series, it failed within 250 or so miles.

If you shine a light down the throttle body with it running, can you see if both injectors are firing?

You can feel/ hear them ticking. if one is not upto snuff, it is kind of obvious.

Also do the key dance and see if there are any engine codes. This consists of turning the key from off to on(not start) 3 times then leaving it on and watching for the flashes of the Check engine light

3 flashes, a pause then 5 flashes is a code 35. Expect a code 12, and a code 55. Report any others.

Also with dodge vans, whenever there is some weird, possibly electrical issue, check the main grounds. Battery to engine, battery to firewall, and frame to engine. If no frame to engine ground exists, add one.

tylerdurdeno9

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just an update guys. I broke down again outside of Nashville next to a 24 hour service shop (god is looking out for me while punishing me it seems) I talked the guy into helping me for 125 and I will help. So this fuel pump mishap will cost me around 250, not too bad really! I will post on here letting you guys know if that filter is next to the pump/or any filter at all.

Chris

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it starts and go like that...

Fuel starvation is the immediate suspect.

Back to the broken record... pressure and volume test after filter change.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Standed in Class B Update- Now with video, any ideas?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS