|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Canadian Travel Health Insurance & Travel Warnings

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently received an E mail from PC Financial touting their travel health insurance. It is underwritten by Co-Operators. I got a quote and almost died at the price. Double what others are charging. When I was searching the policy to check the coverage I noticed a paragraph that said : If you travel to any country where there is a travel warning issued by Foreign Affairs Canada there is NO coverage. I callled the insurance company to get clarification and according to what she told me the following warning would mean no coverage.
The wording is a little vague and the customer service person was also vague. I would advise any Canadian that will be traveling to Mexico to obtain clarification in writing. If you left Canada before the Government warning then the coverage DOES apply. Insurance companies are not "your friend". Many look for loopholes to not provide coverage. The fine print is a CYA for THEM. Note the states included in the warning. I do not agree with the warning and have only posted it here for clarity.

Moisheh

OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to the border areas between Mexico and the United States, due to continuously high levels of violence linked to organized crime in those areas.

Canadians should avoid crossing Mexico’s northern border by land and should do so only if it is absolutely necessary, after making appropriate arrangements to ensure their personal safety. Shootouts, attacks, and illegal roadblocks may occur at any time. Criminals especially target SUVs and full-size pickup trucks for theft and carjacking along highways in the states of Nuevo León, Tamaulipas, Baja California, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango, Sonora, and Sinaloa.

Travellers should also avoid travelling by land to or through these border states and should do so only if it is absolutely necessary, and after making appropriate arrangements to ensure their personal safety.

crandle

Campbell River, BC, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting this Moisheh. Our Canadian Government is getting as paranoid as the USA. It looks like they have cut off the entire Northern border. We are safe and healthy in Chetumal.

My Mexico Blog

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crandle: I guess you will have to leave your rig down south and fly home!!! It sure did not take insurance companies very long to exclude coverage. I guess they only want to insure a person who is 30, healthy and traveling to York, Nebraska. Or maybe they just want us to stay home and freeze! I can understand the warning for the East Coast and I could understand a warning that simply says to exercise caution. No wonder Sonora is upset. If you read the article I posted this AM one of the problems Mexico identified was perception. They also mentioned that of thousands of municipalities only 80 are problematic.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carjacking? Baja? We pay and pamper these people to do this to us?
I have had a belly-full of B.S. I am moving back to Mexico (not joking).

sunkatcher

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moisheh, I guess I though everyone knew about this clause in their out-of-country insurance. Being sort of in the business I have run across it before.
Just so people understand if you enter any area for any reason that has a travel advisory in effect you are no longer covered by that insurer E.g.… if you are in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona or California and go across to Mexico, even for a day trip and then return. Even if nothing has happen to you if you have any issues with your health once you are back in the States the insurance company can find out about that day trip and you are not covered for anything. The insurance companies have ways to find out if you have crossed the Northern border into Mexico.
The fact that you were in Mexico before the advisory was put into effect “MAY” have no bearing as to whether you are covered if you enter any of the Northern states of Mexico. Each insurance company policy is written slightly different. I would advise you call your carrier and get a straight answer from someone other than the receptionist answering the telephones
Ron

masa4u.com

mayo30

Up here in the cold,cold north.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a good thing to be aware of situations,but I am thinking this is getting a little much.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HORROR STORY

chukster: Unfortunately many insurance companies are not willing to just make the legitimate profits of an insurance business. Actuaries can calculate that for every $$ earned they will pay out a certain amount. In Canada one of the insurance companies uses a service that max's out the profits by refusing to pay even when it is obvious they should. There are examples of Manulife doing this to Canadians all the time. We personally had this problem and only got paid because I was proactive. There have been stories all over the Canadian media about people being refused coverage because they had a test for some disease. They did not have the disease! So don't lecture me on being prudent. I spent 4 months fighting Manulife and almost went to court! I posted about the government warning so that others will not get caught up in some insurance company giving them nada.I am a businessman and there are still businesses that are ethical and moral. I would place Manulife ( and some others) as just below aluminum siding salesman. You are an American and this thread is about Canadian Travel Health Insurance. There are very few people who would consider a drive through Sonora as being risky. They would consider themselves prudent! If one cannot drive across the Mexican border without losing your insurance coverage then those insurance companies have an obligation to tell this to all travelers who are going to Mexico! Next they will only provide coverage on Mondays with a full moon. If the insurance companies cannot take those so called risks then perhaps they should chose another line of work. Insurance companies often have disclaimers such as: If you do not correctly answer the questionaire on pre existing conditions then your coverage may be denied. That is the proper thing to do. Warn the customer. But if 5000 Canadians( probably more) drive into Mexico every year they cannot get there without going into one of the warning areas. The insurance company has an obligation to provide some type of warning re losing your coverage. An ethical company would not bury that info in the fine print.

Moisheh

* This post was edited 02/23/12 03:18pm by moisheh *

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 03:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sunkatcher: If what you say is correct then all those snowbirds who cross into Algadones every day would be without insurance coverage when they return?????

Moisheh

chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 01:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I spent 30 years in the insurance industry and insurance companies most certainly are not your "friend", they are a business that has a contract with you to provide coverage that you need and want. A "friend" does not have a financial stake in your bad decisions, insurance companies do and if you take risks outside the normal risk associated with their customers, insurance companies do not expect those prudent customers to pay for your potentially bad choices and they should not. If you increase the risk to yourself and your health, you should expect to pay more premiums.
Name me a business that is your "friend"--the RV manufacturer? The oil companies? Your health care provider? Albertson's? Next time you are broke, go to any of these "friends" and test their hospitality.

MichDoc

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuckster11 wrote:

.......if you take risks outside the normal risk associated with their customers, insurance companies do not expect those prudent customers to pay for your potentially bad choices and they should not. If you increase the risk to yourself and your health, you should expect to pay more premiums.

Well stated. The more risky the situation, the more the premiums, or the more likely that insurance will not cover claims at all. Should be easy for anyone to understand this concept.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Canadian Travel Health Insurance & Travel Warnings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS