RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Let's Talk MPG and Gas Price$.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Let's Talk MPG and Gas Price$.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vacation in the lower priced areas of the country.

Vlad's busy workings

All hope is gone

hugemoth

Bend

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the 73 Arab oil embargo I've always assumed gas would eventually be very expensive so I only bought fuel efficient vehicles. My Toyota pickup with home built popup camper gets 30 mpg while towing a motorcycle if I take it easy. My car is an old Suzuki Swift that gets 40 town 50 highway but mostly I ride one of my motorcycles getting either 70 or 90 mpg.

Going the speed limit or slightly less and running a bit more pressure in the tires than recommended on the door frame makes a definite difference in mpg.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LaunchnRetrieve wrote:

So, I'm wondering what you've done and what can be done to improve your MPG for both your travel rigs and for your commuter cars/trucks/SUVs.
I bought a Nissan Leaf last year for the commute and running errands. 13,000 miles so far with no gas, no oil changes.
I keep the F150 in storage to haul the trailer as needed.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Finally Fulltiming

Summer: NYS Finger Lakes; Winter: Someplace warm

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only take downhill and downwind trips.

blangen

South Dakota... and everywhere.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1995brave wrote:

Two weeks ago i paid $3.19/gal and drove to work at 70 MPH.
Yesterday i paid $3.45/gal and drove to work at 70 MPH.
I've been getting 22 MPG from my truck since i bought it new in 1998.

Looks like the gas prices haven't changed my driving habits, yet.

Ya know.... I would spend A LOT less in gas on my Santa Clarita to Hollywood round trip on the freeway if the rest of LA would get scared off by high gas prices and thin out the traffic jams. Just sayin'.

Wayne Dohnal

Bend, OR.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh.
That's nasty! My electric rate is right at 10 cents per kWh. I didn't think there were many places in the country over 20 cents.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your speed and where you go are about the only things you have that are in your control for improving your mileage. Speed in the main one so let those semis pass you if you must and slow down. It is the biggest (and hardest to do) fuel saver in your bag of tricks. There is NOTHING you can scotch tape or bolt onto your tow vehicle that will do as much to improve your mileage and most of the things that will help at ALL will either reduce your power or result in you burning more costly higher test fuel.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

hpdrver

Granbury, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I own a Volt I need to correct the incorrect knowledge that was posted. I average 35-45 miles on a charge. If you drive in freezing temperatures and run your heater on high you will probably get 25 miles. The Volt batteries are designed not to be fully discharged and always retain a residual charge.

You can only expend 10.6 KWH to go your 40 miles and I only pay 8.1 cent per KWH so my charge is 85 cents for a full charge. In the last 500 miles I have used .3 tenths of a gallon of gas. The cost of a Volt is also now discounted by dealers and has a $7500 tax credit so it does not cost 45K.

A lot of false information has been told about the Volt but it is an amazing machine that is fun to drive and made in America by Americans. I bought this car for a lot of reasons but economics was not the primary one. Speak to Volt owners and get first hand experiences before you make a judgment. I like what the Leaf owner said. If you want to increase your MPG do not use gas.

The inaccurate statements about the Volt are corrected by Snopes at www.snopes.com/politics/business/chevyvolt.asp

* This post was last edited 02/23/12 05:10pm by hpdrver *   View edit history

Texas Two Step
2011 Tiffin Breeze 28 BR
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Irover

Where ever the Good Lord Wills

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got you beat my moped get 100+ MPG, while the Motorhome is parked. I put about 4,000 miles a year on it. Was thinking on a electic scooter, but only an 18-25 mile range on a charge and 18-20 MPH. I at least can do 27 with this. have to be careful of the fast moving vehicles, so use the country and towns less traveled streets. Oh, No special license, registration or insurance costs either. Use my cost savings to keep the MH going. Irover

SidKaye

Mt Dora Florida, Montreal QC for the Summer

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Johno02 wrote:

This is my contributions to the effort. Confirms a lot about what we all know, just never thought it was worth much, as few of us are stupid enough to be fooled by the hype.

I have not done the research myself, and do not know where this originated, but here it is anyway

"

Cost to operate a Chevy Volt

A reporter test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.

For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.

Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery.
So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.
It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours.
In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh
of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh.

16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.

$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.

$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs

$46,000.........you do the math."

I think your numbers are not correct. There is no way it would cost $18.56 to charge. I think you may have misplaced a decimal point. More likely your electric costs .116 per kwh.

Not necessarily a fan of Volt, there are better options.

Sidney

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT,48RE, 4:10,Cummins HO Diesel,Quad Cab,LWB,SRW,PacBrake,Prodigy, X-Monitor Gauges,Line-X,Bedsaver

2002 Excel,Ltd,30RGW,Hughes Autoformer,Honda Eu1000i, ClearSpot 4G+,

http://www.kayepics.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Let's Talk MPG and Gas Price$.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: