|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Full timing looking for homestead

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
DarnJoe

Home

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So one of the reasons we are going fultimeing is to look for a place to homestead. We are looking at places like SC, VA, FL, ect. We're looking at those places because the land is MUCH cheaper than in California. So my question is, What eastern states do you like and why?

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eastern Tennessee

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live in Michigan where the cost of living is pretty low compared to some places but maybe that's too far north for you.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Florida. No state income tax among other things. Central to North Florida.
Ocala FL is nice area. Inverness FL is another good area for retirees. Inverness is located in Citrus County if you want to check their property tax rates.
check www.chassaoaks.com for an RV park that sells sites. Near enough to the beach, country atmosphere. They also rent sites if you want to check it out.
We also like Texas near San Antonio.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Florida, warm winters (if you go south enough) and no income tax plus a two year tag for a MH is $150. Will need someplace else for the summers like the mountains of N GA, NC, or E TN. You need to exercise your MH anyway.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tennessee has no income tax, has moderate weather, and is a gesticulate state. NE Tn would be my pick.

Finally Fulltiming

Summer: NYS Finger Lakes; Winter: Someplace warm

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NE in the summer, SE in the winter.

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Hampshire has no income tax or sales tax. Washington state has no income tax (Oregon has no sales tax). People who live near the OR border have the benefit of hopping the state line to save money.

I'm fulltiming out of WA, in fact I'm wintering in Elma, WA at the Travel Inn RV Resort. Winter here, west of the Cascades, is very mild. When I started looking for a state to be my domicle, after moving out of Olympia WA, I found that some states have high title transfer fees. I decided to stay with WA because I found a CMRA in Aberdeen that only charges $144/year for a mailbox and changing my address on my WA drivers license and WA registrations is free ($10 if I wanted a new drivers license with the new address). That's what I did. I then registered to vote in Grays Harbor County and obtained a library card. Now I'm a resident of Aberdeen, WA.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tennesee has a 6% income tax on dividends and interest income, so if that is the biggest piece of your income it is not the best. No income tax on earned income. Sales tax can run from 7.75% on food to 9.75% on other stuff.

Other than the sales tax, TN is IMHO the nicest state in the country. Start about 50 miles east of Nashville and keep going east and it just gets prettier as you go. No offense to anyone, but West TN is a pit.

The main drawback to fulltiming in TN would be your heating and cooling costs. March-June is good. July & August are pretty bad. September through late November is good. December, Jan, & Feb can get pretty ugly. But sometimes we have mild winters, too.

Property taxes are generally very low, zoning in rural counties is usually pretty lenient too. Many counties require you to have 5 acres to put in a septic tank or mobile home, so you would want to check into local regulations.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a simple rule

Look for places were people do not want to live, the land will always be cheaper there.

Of course you might not want to live there either. Since they tend to be places with harsh climates, no services, limited shopping, etc.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Full timing looking for homestead
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS