|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Prescription Drugs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Mootpoint

Somewhere in North America enjoying the life!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never even thought about Walmart... good idea!! I wonder if Costco does the same? I will have to check..

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Walmart only charges $10 for a 3 month supply of many generic prescriptions. They will allow you to refill at least 2x at once. I get 6 months of my prescription at a time for $20. I just tell them I'm going out of town. We go to our home base every 6 months so this works out good for me. The VA is another story. They won't allow multiple refills any longer and all their meds must be mailed. We have someone intercept the mail and forward the meds to us.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

D&E Johnson

Ontario, Canada/Quartzsite, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I checked 2 years ago with Walmart-they do not do cross border Rx's. We always bought a 6 month supply in Ontario aand took them across, if needed we headed to Mexico and got anything else we needed. Since we are now over 65, RX's are really inexpensive for us in Ontario. We had our MD write for a 6 month supply, then the pharmacy had us sign a document and they filled the 6 months all at one time. We did not have a problem.We did not have any drug plan, so no problem paying and getting the 6 months worth.
We were in Mexico last wednesday, you do not need a hand written prescription for rx's, they will sell you a 3 month supply, except for antibiotics-seems a new rule in the US is in effect, the pharmacy advised us the border customs could take them away, and did see a few folks heading back to the pharmacy for a refund.Even with a hand written prescription, they can make you take them back.
Dona

Dona and Elvin

2010 Dodge Laramie 3500 4x4 Mega cab-in Pearl black/tan
2007 Open Road 359RL3S
2004 Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 10:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used Walmart when we began full-timing but got sick and tired of the lines and the inefficiency. Switched to Walgreens and they are great. We can change stores on-line as we move about, always talk to a local pharmacist if need be, and seldom encounter any kind a wait in a local store.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2011 Keystone 23rks Hideout to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your Canadian?? This may make it a little more complicated. Some drug stores may not recognize a prescription written by a Canadian doctor. this happened last year when we ran short of insulin, three drug stores (including Walmart and Walgrens) would not supply us with going to a walk-in clinic and getting a prescription from a U.S. doctor.

When you check with Walmart and Costco, be sure to check and make sure that they will accept/fill cross border prescriptions. We now make sure that we have a adequate supply. Our insurance company will pay up 6 months supply if they are told that we a going on an extended holiday.

Beverley and Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Mootpoint

Somewhere in North America enjoying the life!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Costco doesn't do cross border and I am waiting to here from Walmart. They both do cross country though. I will be entering the US via Detroit after visiting relatives in Etobicoke and Windsor. So I will probably stock up at Costco before crossing. I have encountered problems with my insurance company regarding 6 months at one time. Hopefully I will be able to get around this. Being able to get them in the US would be far more convenient.

Thanks Mike

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 01:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

amandasgramma wrote:

SMC wrote:

We'd call in our renewls or order on the internet and let them know where to send it. We didn't have any trouble.

We did same as SMC!

ditto, and ditto.

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

demoon

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We needed a refill while in MI last fall and were not near a CVS, which is our home pharmacy. We inquired at a Rite-Aid, and they said they could help us out. They contacted our pharmacy and within an hour the script was filled. I think any major pharmacy chain could do this for you.

carp65

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All my prescriptions (Plan D thru Medco) are refilled on a 90 day basis
and are sent to wherever we are. Sometimes we must plan to stay in an
area long enough to receive a shipment of medication. Have never had
a problem.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev