RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Voltage Spikes!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Voltage Spikes!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sdagro

Independence,LA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does not do it all the time which makes me think either loose neutral or cut wire which has all been checked and eliminated.

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe a problem with your power cable.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
KG7EFA - Extra Class
Kenwood Radios

MPD56

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Salvo: He has a 50 amp system and if the neutral opens, he could possibly have higher voltages, without the neutral the voltage wouldn’t be balanced and large loads would have higher voltages.

Not sure what make of 50 amp transfer switch the OP has, but some have electrical open neutral protection on the generator side and not on the shore power side (example the IOTA ITS ITS-50R).

The OP seems to have an intermittent problem, which makes it hard to verify and the members to only guess. The OP could try, only using a 50 to 30 adapter while he is troubleshooting so if he is loosing the neutral at lease he isn’t burning up more appliances and they simply wouldn’t work if he did loose the neutral.

Yaj

The Milky Way Galaxy (Hartford, WI)

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MPD56 wrote:

Salvo: He has a 50 amp system and if the neutral opens, he could possibly have higher voltages, without the neutral the voltage wouldn’t be balanced and large loads would have higher voltages.

Not sure what make of 50 amp transfer switch the OP has, but some have electrical open neutral protection on the generator side and not on the shore power side (example the IOTA ITS ITS-50R).

The OP seems to have an intermittent problem, which makes it hard to verify and the members to only guess. The OP could try, only using a 50 to 30 adapter while he is troubleshooting so if he is loosing the neutral at lease he isn’t burning up more appliances and they simply wouldn’t work if he did loose the neutral.

What he said. Almost has to be a neutral problem.

I run a 240 volt electric space heater and I had one that when it cycled itself off it would do something that would pop my surge protector. I changed to a different heater and have had no problems since. Just thinking it could be a problem with a certain appliance?

1996 HR Endeavor LE,Cummins 5.9 230hp, Allison 3060,
Front-Yamaha Enduro, Rear-Honda Helix Geeser Cruiser, 2 bikes,
22ft 1977 Cruiser in tow.
1 DW, 2 kids.
1 old dog, 1 fat cat.
I wasn't thinking this far ahead!

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Intermittent problems can be a real pain...

When you star trouble shooting, you can't find anything wrong but it fails when you least expect it...

e.g.
A friend's car engine wouldn't start (acted like dead battery), so I opened the hood to check the battery voltage and all of the electrical stuff started working. I had him try the engine and it started normally...

It turned out there was a wiring harness that was being moved slightly by the hood hinge thus allowing a defective connection to make contact only when the hood was open.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Salvo

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a 230V receptacle for the microwave? With microwave on, I would expect voltage to drop at that receptacle.

sdagro wrote:

Every time problem occurs and I check the voltage at receptacle w/multimeter voltage is always 230-238v.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

replace your shore cord

either the molded on connector has a broken neutral OR the neutral wire is broken inside the cord

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Yaj

The Milky Way Galaxy (Hartford, WI)

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

replace your shore cord

either the molded on connector has a broken neutral OR the neutral wire is broken inside the cord

Makes sense.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spike, A very short "peak" in voltage, on a scope trace it looks like a nail sticking up (hence the term "Spike")

Surge, A much longer sustainted increase in voltage, often lasting a second or more.

Surge supressor strips (The common outlet strips) do nothing for a surge cept sound like a firecaracker as the MOV's in them explode

Real surge supressors (like the progressive dynamics power line guardian devices) will shut off pwoer to your rig in a surge.

BOTH supress spikes.

A circuit breaker will NOT trip due to high voltage, nor will a current spike trip it less it is many times it's rating. But a current SURGE will.

There are hints as to recommendations in this..

My suggestons:

A power guard, Like the n-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15275707250838613974&sa=X&ei=sNhHT7-dKYbBhAevgrG3Dg&ved=0CJQBEPMCMAE">Click here

Note this is NOT a recommendation for any specific brand, But just one I found as an example with a Google search. on the power cord, or better yet installed INSIDE the coach using a Hughes autoformer install kit.

And then power strip "Surge guards" (which as I said are really spike guards)

NOTE: an open neutral will cause odd voltage fluxations epically on a 50amp rig

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

sdagro

Independence,LA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Salvo wrote:

You have a 230V receptacle for the microwave? With microwave on, I would expect voltage to drop at that receptacle.

sdagro wrote:

Every time problem occurs and I check the voltage at receptacle w/multimeter voltage is always 230-238v.

When I checked voltage at microwave it read 230v. No it is a 110v receptacle. That's why my microwave is "no longer with us".

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Voltage Spikes!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS