RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class B - Camping Van Conversions: Portable Air Compressor

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Portable Air Compressor

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Itaricans

Platte City, Missouri.

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello guys, we are going to Fl. this coming March, and I want to take with me a portable air compressor for emergencies, I've got road assistance and cans of slime, but our PW has those air coils, plus if one tire is just low I'm not going to call someone and wait, my wife gave me some time ago a Craftman tire inflator, that was very good, I used it in my car for many years until it finally died, but for these tires I'm going to need something bigger and stronger, anyone has any suggestions? Thanks for any help. Latter. Louie.

Itaricans. man can not live on bread alone....(pizza, burgers,and ribs help a lot)

khalsey

manhattan,il

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12 volt air compressor, 44% off. Free Shipping, Today only!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BM8RT8/...QRF248Y5N86C0E

Here is one, good deal today.

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

look into a co tank, most of the small compressors struggle to make 80 psi.

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A

jjson775

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We carry a Craftsman 120 V portable compressor in our PW Excel that works perfectly when you are plugged in. Easily pumps the tires to 80 psi required and has an inflator connection on the hose. We also carry a cheap 12 v compressor for emergencies or when we camp unplugged. You will need an extension to reach the air bag fittings on the bumper.

Jim

Bob/Olallawa

Kitsap Co, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This compressor does not struggle, it just takes a while depending on many lbs to air up a tire. Using it for my air bags it is very fast to the 50 lbs I run at. http://www.viaircorp.com/ sorry I don't do links well.

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assuming you are dealing with a class B that need 80psi cold.

Get a good sized one that gets you 120psi or so in case you have to inflate it hot (e.g. to 90psi).

Plus it need to be good sized to deliver the volume --- a 12v job is limited by the energy the socket can pull, often set at 15amp or less.

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never seen a 12 compressor last long doing much heavy duty tire inflating.
Buy a small 110 volt compressor if you have a generator. Oil ones are better that oilless, but if you plan on using it to blow out the RV lines, get an oilless. A compressor that uses oil will have a small amount of oil mixed with the air, and that is not good in the lines, tanks, and water pump.

Horizon170

GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember that most of the 12 volts compressors are for limited duty. Keep for emergency use only and not as your only compressor. 110 volt for home use.
Usually when you have a leaking tire it's a nail or screw. Easy to plug temporarily. The key word here is TEMPRARILY. Once you get to civilization let a qualified Tire Store break it down and patch if possible.
Don't use Slime as repair shops hate that stuff.
I bought a couple of 12 volt compressors from HF (10 bucks) and although I don't expect them to last forever one use is cheaper that a service call.

Marvin

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lowes sells a 12 volt/120 volt 120 psi tire compressor with sufficient psi to inflate 80 psi. It is nice as it goes both ways. I have been looking at a lot of small compressors as the small shop compressor that I have been carrying takes up way too much room in my Class B RV's limited storage area. This one at Lowes by Kobalt (which is Lowes own label) looks like a good one and gets good reviews. Here is a link.

If you need to fill from flat to full this may not do it or may not do it very fast, but to add several pounds to bring the tires up to psi, this will do fine.

Once the warm weather comes back and I de-winterize, I plan to get one.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

WaterDaisy

Beaufort

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had this one for a couple of years and have been happy with it:

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV50-SuperFlow-High--Compressor/dp/B000BM8RT8/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1330193292&sr=1-3

Neal 05C210P "Daisy II"

"fast enough to get there.....slow enough to see" JB

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Portable Air Compressor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS