RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: ceramic heaters?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> ceramic heaters?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Red,

Southwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember that water freezes at 32 degreeeeeessss . . .

And you should be just fine then.

Keep the plumbing warm .

Red, *<(:{)-

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a 50 amp system you might be able to get away with running a "few" 1500 watt heaters, but about two will pretty well max out a 30 amp system. Nothing WRONG with using free electricity to heat your RV but if you're paying for the electric on a meter you'll PROBABLY find that LP is cheaper to use and it is CERTAINLY the safest means of heating your RV.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use one in the kitchen on top of the stove cover and one in the bathroom. Set them to low and adjust with the thermostat for comfort. In Florida I would rarely need more than that.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FunnyCamper wrote:

instead of using their propane heat, does anyone just bring a few heaters (ceramic or any electric heater) and use those instead?

Extremely widespread!

With the spinoff of a zillion other threads about campgrounds prohibiting, or charging for it because either they don't want to pay the electric and/or their system gets over loaded.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 04:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday I went down to the park office, They had a package for me from AmericannRVCompany.. Inside was a Dinosaure Fan-50+furnace control board. which is one of two "universal" replacement boards Dinosaur makes, This same board works with both selected ATTWOOD and selected Surburan models. as it has multiple "Personalities" depending on a jumper.

So.. I have used electric heaters all winter.

I have installed two dedicated high current (20 amp) outlets These are house hold 15/20 amp outlets, each outlet is wired back to a breaker which is dedicated to it and nothing else, using 12ga wire, This is not the standard way to wire a motor home. These are special. They are also a different color.

I also have a dedicated "Extension cord" (Also hd) which runs to a plug on the outside (in a bay) for a 3rd heater. We have had two nights in the 25-26 range, The first we were a bit chilly since we moved that day and the rig got cold, the 2nd we were comfortable (I can plug in another 1000 watts into a common RV outlet if I must)

However.. Let's just say Dinosaur boards has me feeling "Warm all over" and leave it at that.

By the way.. That dino board appears to be very well built, and if what I think happened to the OEM.. Well Dino (it appears) thinks that way too, they put a protective device on the board which should prevent it from happening again.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a note on for those with a large inverter that passes the AC to all the outlets. They usually have a pass through amp rating of 30 amps. You should never run two 1500 watt heaters and running one could shorten the life of your inverter because the load is continuous.
See if you have an outlet that is not supplied by inverter pass through to run your heater. If you have room in your main AC breaker panel install a 20 amp breaker and a receptacle for your heater like has already been mentioned.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I use several small electric heaters from 200 watts up to 1500 watts. Generally I'll run the large 1500 watt heater on the low setting.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

hilldude

Red house WV

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ones I have used are either to hot or to cold.we use a Lux thermostat from Amazon does a great jobLink

Wanderman

New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A while ago...OK, not that long ago. I went looking for electric heaters, for when I am on shore power or running the generator and came up with a dual purpose unit. It's am Electric fireplace AND a 2 power level electric heater. Pretty, great ambiance...well, yeah...a bit romantic.

I wrote an article about it for the rv newsletter you can read it here:

http://www.thewanderman.com/2012/02/cozy-nights-by-fire-in-rv-part-one.html

I like them....hopefully enough people will complain that they are only available in bright red...a more neutral color would be great.

Rich "The Wanderman"

1991 Aero Cruiser 23RBa

Read All about my Disasters and Triumphs at:

http://www.thewanderman.com/

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 05:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wonderful info and thanks everyone

that little fireplace is cool. yea red. another color would be nice actually.

I think in a short bit the small heaters should be on sale since the colder season is almost over. will be checking out sales. I am thinking 1 smaller and one larger type unit should work well.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> ceramic heaters?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS