|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Should I flip the ball hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see anything wrong but if it needs adjusting I'd advise an adjustable hitch instead of an up or down only version. Your trailer LOOKS like it's large (heavy) enough that it probably REQUIRES a weight distributing system anyway. Your receiver is only rated for around 500 lb. without one.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

CGXterra

Seal Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

I don't see anything wrong but if it needs adjusting I'd advise an adjustable hitch instead of an up or down only version. Your trailer LOOKS like it's large (heavy) enough that it probably REQUIRES a weight distributing system anyway. Your receiver is only rated for around 500 lb. without one.
Good luck / Skip

Even though it's a class IV? I thought I was getting this towing stuff figured out. I was feeling like I was way overcompensating with a 2500HD with the towing package.

Ed & Jess - Suffolk, Va
2014 Cedar Creek 36' CKTS
2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Dually

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do some research- some tow bars say use in the "drop" position only.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The GM HD receiver can handle more like 1000 pounds (look for a sticker on the receiver) without WD. I would flip it over if the shank is designed to do so. Level to slightly nose down, based on the frame, not the body of the TT.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

CGXterra

Seal Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K3WE wrote:

Do some research- some tow bars say use in the "drop" position only.

Will do. I only asked because the folks at the dealership where I bought my T/T reversed the one I had on my old truck. It was the first time I'd seen that and didn't know it couldn't be done with all of them. I'll check before I do it. Thank you for the advice.

CGXterra

Seal Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

The GM HD receiver can handle more like 1000 pounds (look for a sticker on the receiver) without WD. I would flip it over if the shank is designed to do so. Level to slightly nose down, based on the frame, not the body of the TT.

Okay. Thank you very much to all of you for the advice.

LIKE2BUILD

Mt. Zion, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the quick and easy method. On a flat stretch of pavement get the trailer parallel to the ground. Between the wheels measure from the bottom of the frame to the ground. Now, at the A-frame measure from the bottom of the frame to the ground and use the tongue jack to move up and down until that measurement equals what you got at the wheels.

Not, measure from the top of the ball coupler to the top of the ball coupler to the ground. Finally, put the draw bar in the truck receiver and measure from the top of the ball to the ground.

With these values you can decide if you need to flip over the shank.

As a primary note, the shank you're using really needs to be one that is solid forged. Shanks that have a hollow 3" square tube with a 3/4" steel plate welded on as the drop section are not strong enough to support the weight of a TT. Here is the kind of solid forged shank I'm talking about.

KJ

'02 Jayco Qwest 324G
'04 Chevy 2500HD CrewCab |6.0L|2X4|4.10:1 | Eaton Posi-Trac
Curt MagnumV receiver
Eaz-Lift Hitch with Reese Dual Cam
2000 Crownline 205BR
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (12, 6, & 4)
1 forgiving wife!!!

bicyclemark

Saint Paul, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recommend always getting your trailer as level as possible for towing or just about anything else. The added stress on the axles, and tiers as well as uneven braking due to uneven loading will eventually create issues, and early failures.

I also recommend getting a weight distribution hitch for any medium to large TT. If your TT has a tong weight over a couple hundred pounds, when hitched the front end of your tow vehicle will become light. This will affect staring and braking.

Safety ~ no price is too high.

CGXterra

Seal Beach, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LIKE2BUILD wrote:

Here's the quick and easy method. On a flat stretch of pavement get the trailer parallel to the ground. Between the wheels measure from the bottom of the frame to the ground. Now, at the A-frame measure from the bottom of the frame to the ground and use the tongue jack to move up and down until that measurement equals what you got at the wheels.

Not, measure from the top of the ball coupler to the top of the ball coupler to the ground. Finally, put the draw bar in the truck receiver and measure from the top of the ball to the ground.

With these values you can decide if you need to flip over the shank.

As a primary note, the shank you're using really needs to be one that is solid forged. Shanks that have a hollow 3" square tube with a 3/4" steel plate welded on as the drop section are not strong enough to support the weight of a TT. Here is the kind of solid forged shank I'm talking about.

KJ

Well that kind of narrows down my options. I do not have a solid forged hitch. The one I ended up buying is the one with the plate welded to the tube.

Thank you for the response.
Ed

Vet Man

Ct. & Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would also be concerned about excessive weight on one axel if the trailer is to far out of level. Could cause a blow out.

2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2010 ZR1 Colorado Toad
2013 Honda 150 PCX Scooter
2013 Corvette Convertible Grand Sport

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Should I flip the ball hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS