RV.Net Open Roads Forum: WA state needs money more than tourists????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> WA state needs money more than tourists????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
skipole

Sandia Park, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eastwacamper wrote:

Skipole, we will be there soon. First time, sort of.

Your profile blocks eMail messages so drop me a line at skipole@me.com if you want and we will help you plan all the neat places to see in NM.

Ski

randot

Ellensburg, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gosh, we have only lived here for a few years and yes we don't care for some of the politics or tax issues here, but I think this was worth $10.

Rainier, Mt. Stuart, the Columbia River etc... are awesome sights. Maybe I am just crazy about these views because I grew-up back east, but I highly suggest visiting WA State (it is not humid in the summer either and that is worth big bucks to me).

* This post was edited 03/05/12 04:30pm by an administrator/moderator *

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
2013 Voltage 3200 EPIC II
Two GSDs and toys

quoyfab

Northeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 04:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ctpres wrote:

Just finished ordering individual state travel guides for our six mo NW US summer trip. WA wanted real money for all but one piece of typical tourist info????

That explains why the DW hasn't received anything from Washington tourism office. She requested materials from about 15 states over a month ago, and it is still trickling in. F. Knowles posted that the office of tourism in WA was abolished last summer. We were there 15 years ago and spent lotsa $ with our two youngest boys, and had a very good time. That trip was 2 1/2 weeks and included an inland trip down to Portland,Eugene and Grant's Pass over to Crescent City and then up the coast of OR back to Seattle. Of all places, the DW just loved Newport, OR, and looks forward to returning there someday. I feel bad for anyone relying on tourism in WA. considering the diminished focus on state promotion to visitors. I know Maine would suffer big time without the 4 season influx of visitors, with greater emphasis on SUMMAH.

BTW, not attempting to hijack the thread, but hands down Oklahoma sent the finest tourism package you could imagine. A 2.25"x8.5x11.5" box full of superbly diverse info about their state. OR and Nebraska sent ample materials, but pale in comparison. Hats off to OK,see you in May.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, now, in defense of my Home State I'd like to say that the Tourism office was abolished as UNNECESSARY, given Washington's fame as a Destination State.

Word-of-mouth and geography work really well for us, though I can certainly see why some States need more aggressive advertising to attract visitors...

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dalmationlovers wrote:

You don't need any pass if you book a campsite at a Washington State Park. If you tow your vehicle in on your MH no charge. If you unhook the vehicle and drive it in its $10. I also disagree on what the state parks have to offer. They are beautiful and in most cases well kept. I refuse to go to private parks and pay the extra. I like it simple. I have lived in WA over 50 years and began camping in the early 60's at Lake Cushman (now private)

IF you don't want to come and visit a beautiful part of our nation OK. More room for me.

LOL

DW wants to know if you had a banana gorilla at Lake Cushman bar/rest? Chris

My Rig
2001.5 2500 STD CAB AUTO SLT 4x4, CTD 4:10's, Bomb'd to Tow
2005 Cardinal 29WBLX.

nohurry

Orting, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my home state of Washington. I still live 10 miles from where I was born 52 years ago. Budget decisions have to be made in every state by the powers that be and well, we just have to live with them or try to vote them out. Why let what probably amounts to the price of a gallon or two of gas keep you from visiting a state that has so much to offer? Believe me, if you take the free brochures that another state gives you and go there, they're going to get some of your money one way or another. Happy Trails.

Carl
2013 F250 6.2
2011 Jayco 256RKS
Co-pilot-Sharon
Navigators-Missy, and Petey (chihuahuas)

Bigdog

silverdale wa.

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice response

GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Seattle Steve

Pacific NW

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

quoyfab wrote:

BTW, not attempting to hijack the thread, but hands down Oklahoma sent the finest tourism package you could imagine. A 2.25"x8.5x11.5" box full of superbly diverse info about their state. OR and Nebraska sent ample materials, but pale in comparison. Hats off to OK,see you in May.

Advertising 101: When you have a product people don't want you have to advertise more. When you have a product that sells itself, you can get away with little or no advertising.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seattle Steve wrote:

quoyfab wrote:

Advertising 101: When you have a product people don't want you have to advertise more. When you have a product that sells itself, you can get away with little or no advertising.

Please, Fellow Washingtonians...let's not be too hard on Oklahoma. We owe it a debt of gratitude for its contributions to our own growth.

Literally!

Even Oklahoma's own DIRT picked up and headed West back in the 1930's, immediately followed by most of the human population. What other State has contributed more to our Western Way of Life, not to mention our Land Mass?

Let's just hope that we Westerners aren't expected to bring a bucketful of Oklahoma back there with us when we visit...

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All this because they started charging for their states travel guide? The local "industry" where I live is skiing resorts. The local county IDA (Industrial Development Agency) finances their building projects. You should hear the locals here scream about that. But those "out of state" skiers sure know how to spend their money "locally"! And if we did not finance those ski resorts, there would be not money to go around and more unemployment. And those skiers know where to come to and do not mind spending a measly two bucks for a travel guide. And those travel guides cost a heck of a lot more than the measly two bucks when push comes to shove.

Oh, and I use to brag about our state parks here in New York State. No more, cause I have stayed at a state park in Mississippi of all places! Could not believe it. Found out that Mississippi's state parks are better than those in NYS!!! Mississippi of all places!!! Mississippi state parks can be a destination..., and I have let our local state park officials know about that!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> WA state needs money more than tourists????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS