|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2012 Eco-Boost Opinions Wanted

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

jarozi wrote:

Don't have the answer to all your questions but...

The license plate is offset to allow air to flow into the turbos inter-cooler more efficiently. That's the hulking radiator tilted forward just through that opening.

I have the max tow pkg (3.73, tow mirrors, brake controller, etc) on my 2011 Ecoboost and I get about 17-18 in mixed driving. At 65 on the freeway it will get 20-22, 25+ if you can manage 55 mph. That gear ratio and perhaps to a lesser degree those grande sized mirrors don't help the mileage.

I haven't towed with it yet, still deciding on a trailer, so I can't speak to that.

If I had it to do over again I would have waited for the 2012 and its higher payload rating (w/ HD package). But when I got the 2011 I didn't know that was a forthcoming option.

Hope some of that helps!

I find it really hard to believe your getting 25+ mpg on the freeway at 55mph when most everyone else is getting 20+ @55-60mph. Very rarely are real world mpg's 2-3mpgs higher than the window sticker. Takes special conditions like a tail wind or drafting a semi. I read several F150 forums and no one getting that high of mpg. Especially with 3.73's.

I can get over 40 mpg, if I let up slightly on the pedal while cruising at 60 mph. That is NOT how I calculate my mileage.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

This leaves a gaping hole and IMO exposes the trans cooler to road debris and possible damage. He asked me to post here and get some 'real' opinions!

It has been reported that Ford says to put nothing in front of the intercooler. If you do you will be your own warantee center.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

Cider

Central Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had my '09 PSD in for service and looked at the new F-150 ecoboost and could not understand why someone would pay $45 - 50K for a 6 cyl 1/2 ton when you could get the V8 for $15K less, nor could the salesman I talked to. Looks / sounds cool, but won't get the job done for serious towing, imo.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cider wrote:

I had my '09 PSD in for service and looked at the new F-150 ecoboost and could not understand why someone would pay $45 - 50K for a 6 cyl 1/2 ton when you could get the V8 for $15K less, nor could the salesman I talked to. Looks / sounds cool, but won't get the job done for serious towing, imo.

The 5.0 V8 won't give as high a tow rating and the V6 has more HP/TQ. Ford won't put the 6.2 V8 in anything that hs a high tow rating in the F150. Not sure how you figure $15K less for a V8. Exactly which truck and package were you looking at?

afob3

Maryville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easily got 22 burning through a whole tank at 70 - 75 mph. I could see getting better if I had slowed down. It is all in the driving. Lots of hard stop & go acceleration or dipping into those turbos immediately sucks it down.

The live on screen bar graph in the center console is there to help you learn / adjust your style. It's not there to give folks amunition to b*&tch at the dealer for the lousy mileage their habits create.

As an example, my DW's driving style costs us a 3-4 mpg hit. I know better than to point that out to her though.

Kinda glad it automatically swithes over to the trailer brake screen when towing since I don't need to be reminded of the MPG hit towing creates. (11 mpg)

2012 Koala 25DS
2011 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrew with Max Tow Package

www.familyobrien.net

Michael in MN

MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cider wrote:

For any given model or trim package the difference between an EB and an identical 5.0 will be less than $1k. You must have been comparing different trim packages.

-----------------------------
LivinLite Camplite 16BHB
2011 Ford F150 EgoBoost

Fordlover

Spring, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cider wrote:

The V8 engine with the same tow rating as the 6 cylinder Ecoboost costs MORE than the ecoboost, like $1,200 more.

02 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4, prodigy and equalizer
07 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK
07 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed, Hauls @$$
and no payments

acadianbob

St. Paul, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

The HD Payload option will cost some fuel efficiency because it results in a slightly heavier truck, larger tires and wheels, stiffer suspension and yes, those huge towing mirrors.

Order the truck with a 3.55 gear and max tow and you'll probably do a bit better but the tow RATING will be reduced and payload also.

Max Tow and HD Payload are 2 different things. Max Tow requires the Ecoboost or the 6.2 V-8. It also requires a 3.73 or 4.10 axle ratio. It gives you about 7,700 GVW. It is a slightly heavier truck.

HD Payload also gets you Max Tow and requires one of the same 2 motors. The GVW is 8,200 with HD Payload.

If you get the REGULAR Tow Pkg, you can get 3.55 gears and you can also get the 5.0 V-8. Regular tow is 7,200 GVW and a lower GCVW of about 9,200 vs 11,300 for Max Tow.

Bob & Wendy; Spanky & Piper the Fox Terriers
2012 Race Red FX4 Ecoboost, Max Tow, Luxury Pkg
Surveyor 235RKS
Reese Dual Cam

scottew71

Oregon OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afob3 wrote:

Easily got 22 burning through a whole tank at 70 - 75 mph. I could see getting better if I had slowed down. It is all in the driving. Lots of hard stop & go acceleration or dipping into those turbos immediately sucks it down.

The live on screen bar graph in the center console is there to help you learn / adjust your style. It's not there to give folks amunition to b*&tch at the dealer for the lousy mileage their habits create.

As an example, my DW's driving style costs us a 3-4 mpg hit. I know better than to point that out to her though.

Kinda glad it automatically swithes over to the trailer brake screen when towing since I don't need to be reminded of the MPG hit towing creates. (11 mpg)

Glad to hear that tow milage! That is better than the 8.5-9.0 i was getting with my 5.4. My camoper is a Roo 23ss so it is about 6k loaded i am anxious to see what i get towing with my new EB

Scott, Betty,Natalie(DD). 2008 Rockwood Roo 23SS 2012 F-150 Super Crew Ecoboost Max Tow

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fordlover wrote:

Cider wrote:

The V8 engine with the same tow rating as the 6 cylinder Ecoboost costs MORE than the ecoboost, like $1,200 more.

But you get that V8 exhaust note. To some, like me, the sound of a V8...not an extremely loud, unmuffled sound...just a stock, pleasant burble is worth the money.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2012 Eco-Boost Opinions Wanted
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS