|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Looking for a used 5er

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Uncle Grumpy

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the usefull reply. I understand about the GVW as the brands I am looking at are heavy. But then I think they are worth it in the climate I am going to and the quality. I went to a RV show lately and was shocked at the prices for plastic and particle board. Not to mention the questions of frame integrity, tires, etc. Bought the best truck, now going to buy the best buy of trailer regardless of age. Just need diligence and help from all of you to find it.

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 03:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Uncle Grumpy wrote:

Thanks for the usefull reply. I understand about the GVW as the brands I am looking at are heavy. But then I think they are worth it in the climate I am going to and the quality. I went to a RV show lately and was shocked at the prices for plastic and particle board. Not to mention the questions of frame integrity, tires, etc. Bought the best truck, now going to buy the best buy of trailer regardless of age. Just need diligence and help from all of you to find it.

Agree with your analysis 100%...Just felt you needed to take into consideration that, depending on the weight of the 5er and the amount of pin weight it could put in the bed of your truck could tax the towing capabilities of the truck if pushed over its weight limits.

...make sure, if belly of 5er is enclosed, that all panels are in place and no extreme Bulging is happening anywhere underneath...want to make sure all tanks are secure and straps are intact.

check out the batteries, look at terminals and check fluid level if possible. Also, if unit has electric front and or rear jacks, operate them to make sure they are functioning properly.

If the unit you purchase has hydraulic slides instead of electric, look at all valving and hoses for leaks.....

at the very least, If possible, I'd try to find out if wheel bearings had been lubricated and in good shape.

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

Jim-Linda

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NC.. he may be looking for a long time to find the compressor on a RV fridge.. just saying.

Jim

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim-Linda wrote:

NC.. he may be looking for a long time to find the compressor on a RV fridge.. just saying.

Jim

yeah, I wasn't thinking on that one, though some of the higher end 5er's have refrigerators just like in our homes....but I just got ahead of myself on that one.

Jim-Linda

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I also have occasions of "ole timers". Reason it hit was, we have converted to household.

Jim

crabbin cabin

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try www.rvtradersnet.com. They have a lot of listings all over the country and can arrange transport to you and financing, in case you need it.
Disclosure - I have my fiver listed but 3 slides etc.
Good luck.

Parrothead Mike

SW Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think your plans are right on! I've got an '02 Duramax shortbox and while my '01 Cardinal is only a 25 footer it weighs 8700+ empty. I have two slides though. I've owned this rig, as is, since '03 and have pulled many thousands of miles with no problems. So I wouldn't get too concerned over weight issues if you stay in the 27-32 foot range. I have a Husky 16K slider hitch and did so when I first bought it because others on this forum told me that I should have one with a shortbox pickup. To this day I've never had to use my slide function, but I have it just in case.

Things I checked out or should have checked out when I bought my used Cardinal: Electric (make sure all plugs work & be concerned if they don't), frig (obvious things like maintaining proper temp when it's warm outside & no condensation around seal), furnace (obvious things), plumbing (didn't check this and got an unpleasant surprise as prev owners didn't understand how to use black/gray tanks when stationary camping for several months), wheels etc. (check wear--check when bearings last done--brakes too), run slides in & out, taste or smell water from fresh water tank, run pump, water heater properly heating. Condition of anode rod in water heater (might tell you whether they keep up on health of water heater).

I'm sure there are more things to check, but I keep all receipts when work is done on my truck, car, and 5er. Hopefully the seller has all this documentation. I think that a seller that maintains their vehicles and has all their receipts is more likely to have a quality used vehicle. It's not a guarantee, but I'd feel better about my chances of finding a quality used vehicle when it's been well taken care of.

Good luck with your search and don't give up until you find what you want.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2001 25' Cardinal LXDS
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Looking for a used 5er
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: