|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Warranty secret

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The "dealer" CANNOT keep your unit unless you let him. He does NOT care how many issues or problems you have. HE is paid by the OEM factory for warranty issues. Doug

* This post was edited 02/25/12 06:18am by an administrator/moderator *

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take it somewhere else. Not all dealers are the same. Since your warranty has nothing to do with the dealer get warranty work done by a dealer with better service.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Take it somewhere else. Not all dealers are the same. Since your warranty has nothing to do with the dealer get warranty work done by a dealer with better service.
X-2, my Winnebago Dealer had me schedule an appointment, while I wait. I've only been there twice for warranty work. I've been off warranty for 5 years now with little troubles. Good Luck

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fla Tom wrote:

The dealer will keep your coach in the shop for 6 or so months out of the 12 month warranty for minnor issues(so no major issues can happen)
4 weeks so far this time for a slide lock and a few lights not working.

Sounds like time to do a little 'Jed Clampett' and move in to your MH on site......lawn chairs, awning, BBQ.
"You guys can't fix it.......I'll use it right here"

I once had a conversation with the head honcho about him wanting to do whatever was needed to get my truck fixed and me out of his showroom....it would be in his best interest. He agreed and corrected the service dept. lack of interest.
Sometimes........you just have to be that 'ugly customer'. It's a shame but dang getting something done ain't for the weak at heart anymore.....urggggggg

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 10:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rolnhome wrote:

I complained about lost use under long term warranty repair. They extended my warranty 3 months. I had to kick and scream a bit

Best answer!

If the rig's in for warranty work, the warranty clock stops ticking 'til you get it back.
Some places are better than others about that- it's smart to get that understanding in writing before you leave a rig.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

michahicks

Waterford/Gaylord, Mi

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not familiar with your coach. This non functioning slide lock is preventing you from using the coach while you wait for parts? If not, have them fix the lights and call you when the parts come in.

I guess what I'm wondering goes back to my experience working at a dealership. Some people didn't want anything to do with their coach unless it was "right". This made no sense at all to me, still doesn't. There's no good reason a running list of necessary repairs can't be kept on a coach, that are dealt with on a basis where the repairs are made when the parts become available. Meanwhile, the coach is in use, being shaken down, in case there are further issues - which are pretty typical while the coach is under warranty.

1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

rolnhome wrote:

I complained about lost use under long term warranty repair. They extended my warranty 3 months. I had to kick and scream a bit

Best answer!

If the rig's in for warranty work, the warranty clock stops ticking 'til you get it back.
Some places are better than others about that- it's smart to get that understanding in writing before you leave a rig.

The warranty clock does NOT stop while in for warranty work. What makes you think that?? It is NOT the Dealer that makes THAT decision and he CANNOT make that decision or modify the terms and time of the warranty. The warranty guidelines and rules are the OEM ONLY. As another poster stated, "some" people do NOT want the unit back until ALL repairs are completed. But, MOST repairs that take extra time are trim type items that do NOT keep you from using the unit. Our shop, we usually have all items completed in a few days and if we have Special Order Parts (SOP), we let the customer know and IF (rarely) the part is a required part for normal use of the RV we get the Factory to expedite the part. But 99% of SOP parts do not keep the customer from using the RV. AND, when we notify the customer of the hold on SOP parts, we NOTE the time and date that he refused to pick up the RV and we note that the CUSTOMER was refusing to pick it up even tho it was is usable condition. That lets us and the OEM know that the unit was usable and if he complains down the line about how long it was in the shop waiting for SOP part/s we have a paper trail of the timeline. This is extremely important from the dealer/OEM side as the Lemon Law rules in some States (Texas is ours) will use the time at the dealership if waiting for parts as "DOWNTIME", for the time out of service for the Lemon Law rules. The Lemon Law rules for almost all States ONLY applies to downtime that keep the unit from being operated normally, not non-essential appliances or trim/fit type items. Doug

mtrumpet

Hamburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

The "dealer" CANNOT keep your unit unless you let him. He does NOT care how many issues or problems you have. HE is paid by the OEM factory for warranty issues. Doug

Agreed. If I need anything repaired by a service facility, I set up an appointment with them to drop it off in the morning (or the night before), then pick it up the next day or a pre-determined amount of time if a part has to be ordered in (usually 2 - 3 days at best). I NEVER just leave it with an agreement of "when you can get to it". It would take forever to get the coach back. Then again, my coach is not under warranty either.

Another reason why I attempt to do as much DIY as possible.

Mark & Cherie (& Chloe)
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis
2003 Ford Explorer, Blue Ox Aventa Tow Bar w/ Ready Brake & Ready Stop

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is also called the sunshine treatment. This is when the dealer doesn't want to repair your RV and doesn't want your business but since he has an open for business sign just takes it in anyway and lets it sit in the lot hoping you will decide to go elsewhere.

I would find another dealer.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

f a vehicle spends six or more of it's first 12 months in the shop.

Check out your state's lemon laws.. In many states "Time in shop" is a qualifier for "lemon Law Refund".

That said.. You need to check because

1: Laws vary state to state
2: I am not a lawyer. and you need one of those.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Warranty secret
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: