|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 12 volt issue

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 Sunnybrook 41 ft Toy hauler. When I unhook shore power I do not have 12 volt lights. The fan on my inverter runs for about a second and then stops. The batteries are up good they start the generator easily. I called a camper sales service manager and he told me to put a tester on the batteries to see if they went from 12 volt to about 13.5 volts when I plugged in shore power and they do not they stay right at 12 volt plugged in or not. I just purchased this from an older couple they said they never had a problem with this. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it have a 'battery disconnect' switch?
If so..is it in the ON position?

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It does have and it is on.

Dihydrogen Monoxide

North America

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 12:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have no lights when not hooked to shore power then your batteries are not connected to the system.
Check the voltages at the junction of your transfer switch. There will also be a high current breaker in-line that may need resetting or replacement.
These are all really easy things to check if you have a test meter.
Also, be sure to check all your battery connections to make sure you have good connections and not one that is corroded.

You can always start with your test meter at the batteries and work your way towards the inverter/battery charger. Plug in to shore power and then start checking the 12 Volt line until you see approximately 13.5 Volts, give or take a few 10ths....

You have already established the fact that your inverter/charger is providing current by the fact that your interior 12 V lights are working when plugged in to shore power....

Dihydrogen Monoxide

North America

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 12:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more thing...on your battery disconnect switch, some actually use a switch to connect the batteries and some others operate a solenoid that actually completes the connections. If it uses a solenoid then you need to check the input and output connections on the solenoid and verify there is 13.5 (give or take) on both terminals....if there is 13.5 V on one side and not the other then you have a defective solenoid OR a defective switch that controls the solenoid.....

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 12:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mentioned you have a inverter, the factory converter is probably still plugged in, the inverter was providing power to the converter, and it was putting out maximum amperage, tripped the fuse between the converter and battery, so you no longer have 12 volt power when the fuse is bad.

I have seen this on 3 RV's!

Unplug the factory converter - keep it installed though, in case your inverter ever needs to be serviced, or you trade the RV and want to keep the expensive inverter, or are at a RV park with limited power, you can use the converter to charge the battery from another circuit, and have less chance of tripping the main breaker.

Fred.

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 03:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from Forum Technical Support to Tech Issues.

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 05:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll guess you have a converter, and there is a breaker or fuse near the battery that is bad.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check near your batteries for an Auto reset circuit breaker - if there is no continuity between the two terminals then take it down to any auto parts store and replace it.

Kevin

kneal44

EAST CENTRAL TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

from what you tell us ... the converter works because when pluged in to shore power you have 12 lights. and no lights when no shore power. so someplace u loss battery connection. since a older couple had it lets do some battery maintenance. check water level in battery and clean terminials for corrosion.

then get a test lite.( looks like a ice pick with a ligh bulb in it.)
trace from battery positive to ground and work toward the converter wiring. should be lots of stuff in between. relays , circuit breakers and even a manual switch.
some place you loss connection.

ask more questions. u can go to youtube and search videos for batteries and rv's.

when u play in the sand .... you can get stuck

9-24-08 corpus christi padre island texas. wrecker had to haul me out!
'92 dp 5.9 cummins 190 hp....8mpg yuck!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 12 volt issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS