|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Voltage 3600 weights

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
mpierce

Scranton, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just picked up my new Voltage 3600 Epic today! Great!

Anyway, I said on another thread that I would post the weights I got on it.

On CAT Scale, it weighed 14,860 pounds. It had option of the Generator, which must add 3-400#, mostly on the pin. The Air Ride pin must add 100# or so too. The propane tanks were filled, which add another 60# to the dry weight.

Total of about 400# above dry weight added to the pin? My best guess.

Pin wt. was 3140#, less the approx. 400# with those above items added, nets pin wt. of 2740, which is the listed pin wt. in the literature.

So, the specs are pretty close.

Cannot wait to take it out. A couple snow storms lined up here in ND now, so will have to wait a bit!

MP

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

14,860# dry weight as in right off the dealers lot? And pin weight of 3140#....
After you get it loaded up.....be interesting to see the ready to camp/toys weights.
What were your truck weights?

It's been a fairly mild winter....maybe spring will come early....or at least thaw out enough for a shake down trip. Enjoy!

MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a light pin. Hope you don't have alot of heavy toys that will lower it.

Mav

* This post was edited 02/24/12 10:32pm by MadMav *

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

mpierce

Scranton, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MadMav wrote:

Mav

I have seen figures for 5th wheels for pin wts. to be between 20 and 25%. This works out to be 21.1%, within that range.

And remember, there is NOTHING in the trailer. No water, nothing in the front bedroom, no kitchen supplies. I have no doubt that it will go up as I add stuff to the front of the trailer.

It also has one group 24 battery. I have 3 group 27 batteries to go in the front compartment, so that will add close to a couple hundred pounds right there!

When I put my Valkyrie with sidecar in my previous toyhauler, which was a twin axle, about the same length, it took about 150# off the pin. I will be adding more than that. The batteries alone will make up that difference.

I think I am OK.

MP

mpierce

Scranton, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

After you get it loaded up.....be interesting to see the ready to camp/toys weights.

Steer axle 4640#
drive 6320#
trailer triple 12060#

Total 23020#

Empty truck weights

steer 4860#
drive 3180#

Interesting that the steer lost 220# with the trailer hooked up. I wish it had added a little.

When I weigh the trailer loaded later on, I am going to recheck that difference.

2004 dodge dually

MP

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mpierce wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Steer axle 4640#
drive 6320#
trailer triple 12060#

Total 23020#

Empty truck weights

steer 4860#
drive 3180#

Interesting that the steer lost 220# with the trailer hooked up. I wish it had added a little.

When I weigh the trailer loaded later on, I am going to recheck that difference.

2004 dodge dually

MP

I'm real surprised that you lost that much weight off front axle.....

Real good idea about the re-weigh when camp ready......watch the rear tire loading, you may be pushing max depending on how that trailer is loaded.
We get weighed every year....just to stay informed. Cheap, easy to do and helps stay within limits.
Enjoy!

MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mpierce wrote:

MadMav wrote:

Mav

I have seen figures for 5th wheels for pin wts. to be between 20 and 25%. This works out to be 21.1%, within that range.

And remember, there is NOTHING in the trailer. No water, nothing in the front bedroom, no kitchen supplies. I have no doubt that it will go up as I add stuff to the front of the trailer.

It also has one group 24 battery. I have 3 group 27 batteries to go in the front compartment, so that will add close to a couple hundred pounds right there!

When I put my Valkyrie with sidecar in my previous toyhauler, which was a twin axle, about the same length, it took about 150# off the pin. I will be adding more than that. The batteries alone will make up that difference.

I think I am OK.

MP

It's the loaded weight that counts. IF you have toys/water, more than likely that weight will drop. Interested to see what it is when loaded with toy and all. I would hope that the pin is above 18% for handling. Below that could cause problems. I have experienced this.

Mav

mpierce

Scranton, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

mpierce wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Steer axle 4640#
drive 6320#
trailer triple 12060#

Total 23020#

Empty truck weights

steer 4860#
drive 3180#

2004 dodge dually

MP

I'm real surprised that you lost that much weight off front axle.....

Real good idea about the re-weigh when camp ready......watch the rear tire loading, you may be pushing max depending on how that trailer is loaded.
We get weighed every year....just to stay informed. Cheap, easy to do and helps stay within limits.
Enjoy!

Not too concerned about overloading the tires. @60#, each carries 2600#. That is 10,400#. Since I am now at 6320#, I could add 4,080# to the pin weight. LOL

It is a dually!

MP

Crazy Cooter

Redding, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't sweat losing a few lb's off the front axle. You have WAY more capacity on the rear axle as these Dodges are a little light in front axle rating (5200lb) due to the wheels only being rated at 2600lb. Driver, front passenger, and some more weight like firewood, and maybe some rear passengers in front of the rear axle and you will be real close to max front axle weight.

I moved my hitch 4" back to lighten the front axle due to being over 500+lb. By a calculator I used online, 4" back only moved my 3K pin weight 120# front to back. People place way too much emphasis on that 1" in front of the axle......It really doesn't make a huge difference, especially on a long bed.

Now my wheels are rated to 7300# ea. and I have a winch/bumper combo. Wonder what the real rating is on the front axle? Not just the weakest link....the wheels....

Tony KI6WAO

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ
2012 Cyclone 300C Triple Axle
2013 Can Am Maverick X-RS
2006 KTM 525 EXC CA Plated
2008 KTM 525 XC ATV
2008 Polaris 525 IRS
2007 Kawasaki STX12F
2009 Kawasaki 260X

saleen556

WEST COAST

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mpierce wrote:

Just picked up my new Voltage 3600 Epic today! Great!

Anyway, I said on another thread that I would post the weights I got on it.

On CAT Scale, it weighed 14,860 pounds. It had option of the Generator, which must add 3-400#, mostly on the pin. The Air Ride pin must add 100# or so too. The propane tanks were filled, which add another 60# to the dry weight.

Total of about 400# above dry weight added to the pin? My best guess.

Pin wt. was 3140#, less the approx. 400# with those above items added, nets pin wt. of 2740, which is the listed pin wt. in the literature.

So, the specs are pretty close.

Cannot wait to take it out. A couple snow storms lined up here in ND now, so will have to wait a bit!

MP

With the pin weight so light on the 3600's whats the opinion on towing one with a new SRW F350? I love this trailer :-)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Voltage 3600 weights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS