RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Generator and Shore Power ??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Generator and Shore Power ??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your transfer switch is installed correctly there is no reason to disconnect form shore power.
My transfer switch automatically switches to the generator when it is running. It's a simple matter of hitting the generator start button. That's it.

jdair101

ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

is it normal to hook up the genny as the primary power sourse in a transfer switch? I just hooked up one in my TT and used shore power as primary and inverter as secondary.

joebedford

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cewing wrote:

I am new to having a generator on board so this ? may sound funny. If hooked up to shore power and want to run the gen. for monthly test or run should I dis-connect shore so it will not back feed thru shore cord? Or when gen. is running does it auto switch from shore to gen.?

I have a 2012 Voltage 3950

My Voltage 3950 (alas "only" a 2011) is connected to a 15A GFCI when it's at home. Starting the generator without unplugging trips the GFCI every time. Maybe if I was connected to my 30A non-GFCI, it wouldn't trip the breaker, but why take a chance on damaging something. I'm guessing that before the transfer switch does it's thing, some kind of transient is going back up the shore power cord - not good!

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Voltage 3950 (alas "only" a 2011) is connected to a 15A GFCI when it's at home. Starting the generator without unplugging trips the GFCI every time. Maybe if I was connected to my 30A non-GFCI, it wouldn't trip the breaker, but why take a chance on damaging something. I'm guessing that before the transfer switch does it's thing, some kind of transient is going back up the shore power cord - not good!
When plugged into shore power your neutral and ground need to be separate. When running on a built in generator they need to be connected. Your transfer switch is doing it's job properly and connecting them when powering the trailer from the generator.
The problem is that a neutral to ground fault will trip a GFCI outlet. If you were plugged into a standard 30 amp RV outlet with no GFCI protection nothing would trip.
Your setup is working correctly.

CrazyTed

Hoollieville #214

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my experience, I have seen two different RV's destroy their transfer switches by starting the generator while on shore power. One basically blew the plastic off the side of the transfer switch. Mine was a 5ver that luckily they replaced the switch under warranty. My father has a Forest River DP where the generator was having difficulties one day so he hooked it up to shore power while he worked on the generator. On the third time he started the generator, the shore power switch swapped back and fourth continually for about fifteen seconds and then stopped working. Had to replace it. In my opinion, the cord is easy enough to unplug so why take a chance?

CrazyTed
www.CrazyTed.us
Va Bch, VA
2010 Husaberg FX450
2008 Triumph Rocket III
2005 Chevy 2500HD 4X4
2008 CrossRoads CrossTerrain TF36DS (Sold)
2009 Jayco Seneca HD 36MS

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally default is generator.

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People, you really need to look at your owner's manual and do exactly what it says. In my case, it specifically states that the GENERATOR has priority and that the transfer switch will automatically switch over to the generator whenever it is running regardless of anything else supplying power.

Obviously not all rv's are built the same....getting advice from here on this type of subject is just asking for trouble if you follow it without question. Your owner's manual is your bible. If you doubt your manual, then contact the manufacture....

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

mpierce

Scranton, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got a voltage 3600, and went to check on this. It has a list of things to do before starting the generator. The last one on the list is to "connect the shore power cord to the shore power recepticle".

Of course, if you were boondocking, that would not be possible.

So, it does not sound like having it connected to shore power is a problem, in fact, they tell you TO CONNECT IT.

Onan 5500 generator

MP

BobWanderer

Perris,Calif,USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

When plugged into shore power your neutral and ground need to be separate. When running on a built in generator they need to be connected. Your transfer switch is doing it's job properly and connecting them when powering the trailer from the generator.
The problem is that a neutral to ground fault will trip a GFCI outlet.
If you were plugged into a standard 30 amp RV outlet with no GFCI protection nothing would trip. Your setup is working correctly.

So, is that why my voltage/frequency monitor Ground Fault light is on when running the genny ??

2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMAX CC
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Generator and Shore Power ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts