RV.Net Open Roads Forum: You installed a Solar System, How is it now?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> You installed a Solar System, How is it now?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Chillyrodent

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did forget about air conditioning. That feels pretty good in a soupy Florida summer, and you'll need auxiliary power for that. Bummer.

The Good Luck Duck

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The two issues with wind generators are first the hassle of setting one up and taking it down at each stop. The second is noise. The blade noise can become a real issue if you have close neighbors. I personally would not want to camp where the wind blows hard enough to make any appreciable power (-:

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Refrigerator on AC power from solar through a inverter is going to be a problem. Refrigerator on propane will make more sense. It will still need 12v electricity to run its electronics.

You can figure 700-800w for a small electric coffee maker. My 4 cup electric says 700w on the data plate. DW's Nespresso latte maker draws 1260w and the coffee foamer another 550w.

Jim

BBdawg

Apopka, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What we have today is 3ea 195 watt Evergreen 24V panels tied to a connector box and two single wires down to the Controller, an MPPT 30 Amp. To this I have 4 12 volt 100amp AGM batteies tied together for a 24 volt system and a Zantrex 24 volt 1000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter. (Don't even ask why this particular setup - just that the price was right)

I currently leave a Side by Side 26CF Refer and a fan connected full time. I also have a plug in available to plug in additional lights and emergency items as we might require. I have the refrigerator set to shut off (on a timer) every 3 hours for 1 hour to reduce over draining the batteries.

Our full time Camping load is yet to be determined but but will include 19inch LED, TV and accessories plus the usual lighting, Refrigerator, if possible, and all the sensors. And, the electric coffee pot..

This is our beginning position..

BBdawg

Apopka, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chillyrodent wrote:

I did forget about air conditioning. That feels pretty good in a soupy Florida summer, and you'll need auxiliary power for that. Bummer.

My DW needs good A/C or lots of cool wind (not hot wind)

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know what I can add that hasn't already been said, but I will try:
1 - First thing is to determine your usage with an amp-hr meter like the Trimetric.
2 - More panels aren't the whole picture. Proper wiring, battery capacity, and charging play a huge role too.
3 - Consider conserving some energy rather than just adding more panels. For us, lighting was about 1/3 of our total energy usage (in the winter) before we changed all lights to LED's.
4 - Your choice of a parking locations and orientation play a huge role too. Parking under trees just work no matter how much the sun is shinning.

Since I installed our 300 watt solar system and ~450 Amp Hr battery capacity, I have seldom had my batteries below 85% full capaicity. I camp in the winter in the rain and snow and have never been able to use my brand new Honda generator. Of course, my consumption is most likely much less than yours too (i.e.; we boil water on the stove for coffee and tea)

Hope this helps.

Safe Travels,
Steve

2oldman

Wilbur WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Revo-Ray wrote:

Installing a solar system on your rig just may put you over your limits by a few gabillion pounds." ...you know all those planets and stars.
I don't know what you're talking about.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I love my solar and managed to go for 3 years without running my generator. But I'm not full time.

If I were, I'd go for even more solar than I have.

If I were doing it again I'd get a larger capacity charge controller that would have allowed for expansion of my solar harvest.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Revo,

If 100 lbs is going to put you over the weight limit then I'd suggest the RV is not well designed to start with.

Revo-Ray

Tampa, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't believe there have been 16 responses and no one thought to say,"Installing a solar system on your rig just may put you over your limits by a few gabillion pounds." Sorry, when I read the topic that was the first thing that ran through my mind, you know all those planets and stars. Anyway, back to the topic, as I have nothing useful to add. Sorry

2007 Chevy Silverado 5.3 Crew Z85 Suspension Z82 Tow Package
Plus all the Hitch, Sway and Brake Goodies
2005 GMC Sierra
2010 Dutchmen Aerolite 29RL-SL
1986 Coleman Newport Pop Up
1 Very Beautiful Wife
1 Boy 18
1 Girl 14
1 Travel Ready Spoiled Boston Terrier

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Do It Yourself Modifications and Upgrades (DIY)

> You installed a Solar System, How is it now?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS