RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Would you stay at a shuttered SP for free as a caretaker?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would you stay at a shuttered SP for free as a caretaker?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There was an article in this mornings LA Times regarding vandalism at shuttered State Parks, the one mentioned in the article is Mitchell Caverns SP off I40, half way between Barstow and Needles. I was just thinking that there are a lot of folks that would stay there for a month or two for free electricity and water if only the uptight Pols in Sacramento would quit trying to blackmail us into passing more and more taxes by closing the parks and think about saving the investment and history that is being destroyed by the vandals if they really have to close them. While Mitchell Caverns is a remote location and it would take a special person to stay there (think some of the folks at Q), there are some that would love doing that for free camping and there are a lot of places where members of the RV community would stay and watch out for things.

I can think of a half million reasons the Pols wouldn’t do it but they are all so lame and stupid. So tell me, what do you think, should I call and talk to the powers that be or should I just chalk it up to another one of my hair brained ideas?

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000
Blue Ox Apollo Brake Sys.(missing after break in, shopping for new one)

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Won't hurt to give 'em a call. Hate to hear about the vandalism, we had a lot of fun out there 40 years ago. I'm for kicking vandals off the planet. Good luck, and let us know what they say.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

pompomgirl

Edmonds, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would do it, but then I lived a half mile from the Mexican border on a national wildlife refuge, where most men wouldn't even go for fear of banditos, and I had illegal immigration going on every night in an arroyo just down the hill from me. And I was well armed.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let us know how you make out. Maybe they will agree with your idea.
However, we all know how government works. Why should they have someone stay for free when they can raise taxes and PAY for security?
But, that's just my opinion...

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading the artical, I think Kevin Forrester, sector superintendent for the parks department, has done a poor job of protecting the area. The place deserves better......

Pond Jumper

North Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It wouldn,t have to be just one person. They could let 2 or 3 RV's in and they could help patrol the park and cover for each other. Which is cheaper, a little elect or hiring a company? Sounds like a great idea to me. Maybe you can get a reward for saving the State a lot of $

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's wrong with 'armed vigilantes', anyway?!

2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis
2002 Honda CR-V toad
Roadmaster Sterling A/T towbar
VIP braking system
Eddyline Merlin kayak

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems just like "gate guard" duty to me, only in nicer surroundings and without the paycheck.

I'd jump at the chance!
But I agree that it'd be better to have several such volunteer eyes-and-ears at each site for better coverage, a more visible presence, and their own security.
The State probably couldn't give them law enforcement authority-nor should it- so folks would really only be there so trespassers can be reported.

Probably too simple a solution to actually get implemented, though...

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

jetenbu

Southeast Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2. Armed Vigilantes are an excellent idea for controlling park damage by these low lifes! I believe we could all sleep a lot safer knowing there was someone on guard in our State and Federal Parks. If this knowledge was made public by a posting that the area is guarded by armed personnel I would bet the vandalism would go way down real quick. Yes, maybe a few brave vandals would get wounded and/or killed while performing an illegal activity and firing on the authorized personnel but in my mind that is acceptable. Someone has to be an example so let it be the criminals! We also still have the Citizens Arrest capability to take them into custody and wait for the authorities.

I know this will turn into a lot of hate posts but I, just like you are intitled to my opinion.

Jim

RV: 2012 Montana 3625RE Quad Slide SKP#108921
TV: 2004.5 Dodge Dually 3500 HD
Favorite Quote: ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayne

Warning: THIS RIG PROTECTED BY SMITH AND WESSON!

U.S. Navy Vietnam Vet 1967-1968

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fact is, we have paid, armed, personnel, that could have checked on the area at least once a day and probably once a shift with some direction from Sacramento. In addition to cars, our Highway Patrol has its own air-force patrolling 15 and 40 daily. A combination of flybys and drivebys would not even be a noticeable expense.......

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would you stay at a shuttered SP for free as a caretaker?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS