RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Would you stay at a shuttered SP for free as a caretaker?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would you stay at a shuttered SP for free as a caretaker?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jim & Betty

Brandon, South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 12:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the idea on the surface and it may work but I have some reservations with the following.

Safety of the host
Value of site = taxes or perceived income
Old or non working water elect. and sewer

Those are probibly easy fixes.

I would call your local Calif. representative and put the bug in his or her ear and also the state park preservation groups that may get things going.

I would not mind doing a stint in some areas of the state but I would want a guarantee that the time spent would not be considered as time served for becoming a forced resident of the state. I would not want to be required to pay taxes on site value. I also would at least have a weapon around as a last and only resort but I have a concern with some of the gun laws in CA concerning open carry and gun type. I also think that there is safety in numbers so at least two hosts on site so when one goes to the store the other is there.

JimR

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems to me that without some form of "eyes" on the parks, the state is inviting drug dealers, drug manufacturers and other businesses that don't want to be in the spotlight to set up shop. Having a few folks there to call in what they observe should make it less attractive. And all for the price of some utilities.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It apparently is the greatest idea since sliced bread, since any post saying it isn't has been deleted.

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

It apparently is the greatest idea since sliced bread, since any post saying it isn't has been deleted.

Good modding with a sense of humor.........

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Highway 4x4

La Verne, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been there. It's a nice place but would be hell in the summertime. As far as "armed" goes, a flare gun and a camcorder would probably do it along with some " you're being recorded" signs. I would want to really have a gun just in case but probably would never be needed. The place has a great view if I recall correctly. Water could be an issue. i can't do it but check it out if you want to be somewhere quiet with a view of the desert.

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bluck wrote:

No citizens arrest are allowed in NM. You can get in as much trouble as the person you are trying to arrest.

There's enough open desert in New Mexico that no citizes arrest is needed...just a rifle & a shovel.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

paulm999

Pala, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The State Park in question is Providenve Mountains SP which includes Mitchell Caverns. Letters to the CA Assembly for a resident volunteer are a waste of time since CA Parks and Recreation does have a camphost and volunteer programs. It's up to the Ranger in charge if a park utilizes the programs. For Mitchell Caverns, if a resident volunteer were to live there, here are the problems. The Park was closed because the water system is broken. You would have to truck iin your own water. maybe you can do it when you go shopping. Shopping is an all day and night deal driving at least 200-300 of miles round trip. Youi will have to truck in your own gas for your generator. Same 200-300 miles RT if you want electricity. Solar might work for a lot of things, but not when you need the AC on 24 hourds a day, April thru October. Don't count on the State to be like Motel6 and "leave the light on." If you need emergency help from the Sheriff, Fire, or Parmedics, that help will most likely be the same 200-300 miles away. If that help is for yourself, and an airship is dispatched, expect a bill of at least $25,000. Any calls to CHP (since I-40 is relatively close by), will be transferred to local juristictions. CHP will not trod on Federal juristictions. You will be living within a Federal Preserve. If you expect to be the Marshall of the Wild Wild West, think again. You are not allowed guns in any State park, open or closed. If you shoot one or even threaten someone with a weapon, including trespassers, you will goto jail and the tresspassers and vandals will take all your stuff before you post bail. And don't forget, there is spotty cell service, you will pay big bucks each month for satellite internet, TV, phone service, and if you don't vacumn and dust several times a day, you will be covered in thick layers of dust on and into everything, even with the windows closed. Expect to replace electronics frequently if you don't take them apart and clean them regularly...like TVs, DVD/DVR players. You might have neighbors at the primitive campground in Mojave Preserve. There are camphost sites there, and if occupied are mostly are short timers. If you visit them, bring you own food and water, as it's too expensive to keep getting those things out there because gas and deisel is $1 - $1.50 more per gallon than what your accustomed to.

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure Parks spent a lot of money locking the place up, and then forgot about it. That shows incompetence and lack of stewardship.
I'm disappointed in the BLM, for apparently ignoring the State's abandoned property while patrolling their own Federal Reserve. I bet there is plenty of personnel and vehicle time charged to the area.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, Old Bombero...

In Modernspeak, "Pols" is short for "Politicians".

...LOL...JMHO...ROFL....SNAFU...CITBPPOD...

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sbishop wrote:

I can think of a half million reasons the Pols wouldn’t do it

but they are all so lame and stupid.

So tell me, what do you think, should I call and talk to the powers that be or

should I just chalk it up to another one of my hair brained ideas?

"Pols" - whaaaat!! Another Polish joke?.

If you call - *they* will respond politely, but being Polish they will think *you* are lame and stupid!.

Why?
Besides "attitude" . . . .
because the State is saving a lot of money by *not* providing personnel and maintenance to *many* underused "State Parks".

If you go through the list of approx 200 closed CA "State Parks",
only 40 or so have any camping facilities - some of those are primitive, some tents only. Many are simply historical sites - mansions, etc.

In many instances various groups will (and have) volunteered. Great!
(Saves the taxpayer $$)
Obviously - even preservation groups, historical societies, etc. aren't interested in this one.

Last statement - back to first statement
(and - Yikes! why did you post?)

Answer: (*YOU* asked!) - YES! chalk it up as indicated!.

IMO - you knew the answer before you posted, LOL!.

~

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would you stay at a shuttered SP for free as a caretaker?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS