RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Lower awning mounting bracket pulled out - how to repair?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lower awning mounting bracket pulled out - how to repair?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're having trouble opening the awning you may be right about misalignment, which could sure cause stress on those brackets.
The fabric can shift either on the tube or on the rail or both- if it also rolls up "funny" when you're closing it I'll bet you've put your finger on the problem!

You might check to see if the screws through the fabric in both locations are still there- they're supposed to hold the fabric in the right "plane", but they do fall out...

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Well this is something that we occasionally use at work: Titanium Putty:

Titanium Putty

You can fill a hole and then drill it and tap it. It cures better with a little heat like from a heat lamp or even incandescent lamp. I see they have a small tube of it, the pound size is a bit pricey.

That putty sounds good.
I was installing an awing and drilled a hole through the skin for the top bracket where I thought there was a backing frame, wrong there was nothing but foam insulation. I put an Allen Wrench in my drill motor and chewed a void in that foam, then filled the void with epoxy. When it was cured I drilled a hole in it and put the anchor screw in it.
That was 9 years ago. Still holding.

This method came from West Marine.

Dusty

Pirate

Appalachia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think any type of anchor would work. I would find some form of epoxy or putty and fill the existing holes and then redrill. I used some 2 part synthetic wood when my mirrors came loose. Used a large injector from the meat department and injected that stuff into the holes. It was just like wood when done. If that didn't work, I would go all the way through with nuts/bolts but that is a way for water to come in.

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Wellnut or rubber expansion nut is not strong enough for the stresses an awning sees in the wind.

Consider a rivit nut or the titanium putty or injecting epoxy to form a block.

I had to do this exact thing on my trailer -I inserted a rivit nut then injected epoxy. Ran a bottoming tap into the insert after epoxy to clean the threads.

Rivit Nut @ Reid Supply

You can set a Rivit Nut with a bolt, couple of washers and a nut -if a tool is not available -just use a ribbed style for this and make sure the hole is very snug to the rivit nut

PrivatePilot

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah ha! Thanks Mapguy, I think those Rivit Nut's might be the magic solution I was looking for - like an expansion plug, but super heavy duty.

Now...I just have to see if I can actually find those things up here in Canada - I don't think I've ever seen them before around here. Does anyone have easy access to them and willing to ship me 3 or 4 if I cover the costs? I might as well get 4, I suspect the rear mounts may do the same eventually as they seem mounted equally poorly.

Thanks!

30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live just across the water from The Land of Canada, and have completely forgotten that "54-40 or fight" unpleasantness between Our Two Nations.
I'd be happy to smuggle anything you want across the Border.

The rowboat leaves Discovery Bay every other Tuesday at midnight, sharp.

Just let me know what you'd like to have aboard!

Francesca

P.S.

Hoping you understand up front that the Recipient pays off the Border Guards...

PrivatePilot

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hahah.. Thanks, I'll PM ya. No need to ship them from Canada really, just tossing them in bubble envelope and mailing them USPS would be just fine unless you're going to be on this side of the parallel anyways for something else.

I'd order them directly from the aforementioned website, but as expected they don't ship to Canada, and despite searching I couldn't find them available online from anywhere either located here, or will ship to here...and I don't think I've ever recalled seeing them at the retail level here.

Thanks!

NickT

Regina

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could try Princess Auto or Acklands

05 Hornet 275RLS
06 GMC Duramax

wtmtnhiker

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 04:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked at toggle bolts as mentioned above?

johntichy

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From your address I assume you are a pilot and should know something about airplanes. Here is the correct way to fix it. Use a "rivetnut". You simply drill it out to the size of the rivetnut and compress it in place. You will be good to go. That's how it's done on airplanes. You can buy a rivnut kit at Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, probally at Lowes and Home Depot as well.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lower awning mounting bracket pulled out - how to repair?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS