RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Lower awning mounting bracket pulled out - how to repair?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lower awning mounting bracket pulled out - how to repair?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PrivatePilot

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmm...like a long piece of threaded rod, or just a REALLY long bolt? Problem is, on my unit at least (as I remember it) it's undetermined what is behind this void - it could be another metal wall (as the floor below it seems to be) for all I know. I'll have to get under there and eyeball it some more.

30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

haddy1

Chesterfield, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toggler makes an anchor called a Snaptoggle. It's sort of a combination of a toggle bolt and plastic insert (it stays in place when the bolt is removed).

This might be what you are looking for. I've seen them at Lowes and Home Depot.
They are available online also.

Another possibility is the anchors that are supplied by A&E for use when there is no backing other than the fiberglass skin. They come with their window awnings, but I don't if they have ones for patio awnings also..

2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH
2007 Jeep Wrangler Toad

vladen

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PrivatePilot wrote:

Hmm...like a long piece of threaded rod, or just a REALLY long bolt? Problem is, on my unit at least (as I remember it) it's undetermined what is behind this void - it could be another metal wall (as the floor below it seems to be) for all I know. I'll have to get under there and eyeball it some more.

I think a carriage head bolt 1/4 or 3/8ths about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long maybe more depending on your wall thickness and yes drilling thru in that area would be a little tricky. And thinking harder probably some backing plates 4x6ish wouldnt hurt either.

Vlad's busy workings

All hope is gone

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well this is something that we occasionally use at work: Titanium Putty:

Titanium Putty

You can fill a hole and then drill it and tap it. It cures better with a little heat like from a heat lamp or even incandescent lamp. I see they have a small tube of it, the pound size is a bit pricey.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

racer4

Upstate New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about calling Tech Support at the awning manufacturer and ask them?

They must have run into this before and figured out a solution.

2007 GMC Sierra Classic Duramax/Allison CC LB | Kelderman 2-Stage Rear Air Ride | Westin Platinum Oval Steps | Access Lorado Tonneau Cover | Line-X | Duraflaps

1998 SunnyBrook 30DB

Don & Linda

Western PA / Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They come in 1/4", 3/8" and in stainless.

Sorry if this post seems long, I lacked the time to make it shorter.
almost quote from S.L. Clemens

Don & Linda

1st RV UL EMS 4s Dome
2nd RV 21' AMF Scamper TT PV D300 Dodge
3rd RV National Seabreeze 133LX w/Demco Dolly
4th RV Jayco 2450 5TH PV Ford F-250 SD

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if they come in a size you can use, but might wellnuts work? blind wellnuts

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

PrivatePilot

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

I don't know if they come in a size you can use, but might wellnuts work? blind wellnuts

Hmmm! Thanks, I've never seen those before. I found this page that covers how those are used, as well as a few other methods. It's related to Kayaks, but hey, securement is securement.

The only thing that makes me wonder is the following statement:

Quote:

However, it is basically the rubber flange that is responsible for nearly all the holding power. These can and will pull out if too much stress is applied, but for such things as cleats and eyestraps they generally should do OK.

That said, I think I'd be willing to give these a shot.

I did actually contemplate the butterfly option posted above as well but the problem with those is that you need to make a fairly large hole to get them through to begin with, and then I wasn't sure that the steel butterfly turning on a flat aluminum plate would ever catch well enough to even tighten them done. They also have a really, really small bolt which seemed like it would probably break with not a lot of stress.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used blindnuts before though not for an awning.
The rubber might even be "tighter" than the screws in that soft aluminum. Seems like they may have come loose just because of road vibration working the steel lag screws against it.

The blind nuts may come in some kind of "industrial strength" version, though even these smaller ones have brass nuts. You might try searching for "blind fasteners" or "blind nuts" for other options there.

I wonder how one might calculate the actual load on that bracket. In transit, I think the load's distributed over three points of attachment:
fabric-to-rail and upper/lower brackets. And when the awning's deployed, the forces at the lower brackets push against the RV....

PrivatePilot

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think that there's much (if any) load in transit - like I said, when it completely pulled out on our last trip of the season I just held it in place with a bungee cord and it got us home no problem. It's been like that all winter, actually.

The times it seems to be under the most stress is when the awning is being pulled out (a lot of downward force) and while it's setup and the wind is up, kicking the awning around.

Our awning is getting really difficult to pull out (probably a different issue, it seems like it's somehow become out of alignment a little bit) so this is probably exacerbating the force on the bottom brackets when I'm setting it up.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lower awning mounting bracket pulled out - how to repair?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS