RV.Net Open Roads Forum: It's official! We signed our papers today! (need hitch help)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> It's official! We signed our papers today! (need hitch help)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
KKapa

South East Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Estimated delivery date on our Roo 25RS is April 18th!

Now on to finding a hitch. The dealer sells husky brand and they want $490 for the old style with sway bars and $1000 for the new style with it built in. DH and I both agree that's waaay too much and plan to buy it somewhere else. They said they would install it for us for around $110 for an hour of labor if we decided to buy it somewhere else. I know the equalizer brand has been recommended. We'd like to get a hitch with the sway control built in. Anyone find a place with rock bottom prices that hopefully include shipping?

We have also been looking on craigslist. Has anyone bought a used hitch? Is that something we should avoid?

2013 Roo 25RS
2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

used ones are out there but they are few and far between. only if some one goes from bumper pull to 5th wheel are they ever up for grabs. I bought my last WDH with friction sway new in the box for $250 and that was two years ago. I know they haven't gone up that much.

FireLieutenant72

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on your purchase... I along with alot of others have equalizer hitch. it tows great. RV wholesalers have the whole set up for 449.00 with shipping last time i looked. take a look there.

TJ Melissa Cole(7,son) Kelsey(4,daughter)
2009 Silverado Z71 ext cab 5.3 .373 tow package
Equilizer hitch and prodigy 3 controller
2011 KZ Coyote 23CKS (Sold)
2014 Viewfinder 28bhss

rav

Northern Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on the new Roo- you need to come to the rally!! tadpole rally- Forest River

if you POST a problem please POST the solution!!!

2005 Bounder 38N
2012 Ford Escape toad
me, DW and our 2 dogs

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FireLieutenant72 wrote:

Congrats on your purchase... I along with alot of others have equalizer hitch. it tows great. RV wholesalers have the whole set up for 449.00 with shipping last time i looked. take a look there.

agree! RVW in Lakeview, Ohio has the real Equal-i-zer for $445 w/free shipping. that's where i got mine and my Prodigy brake controller.
not that hard to setup, the manufacturer has an installation video on their website.
no drilling needed, only may need a thin-walled socket to install the ball into the hitch head. some pay the local RV shop $10 to tighten it down.

a good used hitch is hard to find and sells quickly if priced right.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A very similar post occurred a few days ago...

Recommend you re-read my note in this thread.... I think I went to the trouble to post a couple of photos to aid in your hitch selection.

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photo pages

KKapa

South East Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 04:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck_S wrote:

A very similar post occurred a few days ago...

Recommend you re-read my note in this thread.... I think I went to the trouble to post a couple of photos to aid in your hitch selection.

-- Chuck

Thank you Chuck. I'm sorry I didn't see that before, that is really helpful. My husband and I both use this account so I'm assuming he probably saw it and didn't tell me. I've also been posting on this forum and forestriverforum.com to try and get as much info as I can so I apologize if I'm repeating myself. Thank you again though.

dadmomh

Jackson, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on getting your order placed.....now the wait. We also have the Equalizer and Prodigy set up and it's been perfect going into our 7th season.
And, the tough part.....what to buy for your new toy to make it extra special. It's hard to stay out of WM, etc when you have a new HTT coming soon. Happy shopping!

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
2003 Ford F-150 with Blue Ox 1000
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy.
Our rescued sisters, Biscuit and Lily, are now 1 year old!
Support responsibility....Spay/Neuter!

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest you go to a Reese dealer and get a hitch. i use one with a friction sway bar. these are proven and are more reasonable than the exotics.
If you are near Tawas there is a Jayco dealer there that is terrific and will help you set up, if not go to Reese and make a deal that they set you up.

I have stated several times in the past that the only ones to listen to on this topic are the pros. several here will tell you about their hitch but don;'t we a say what we have is best?

You be the judge but I would think that any hitch you buy today should be adjustable for your next trailer also. Buying on ebay or Craigslist buying blind and may or may not be right.

you have a bunch of cash you put out for your trailer so go to the pros and get the right thing and set up be the pros. Yes this stuff isn't cheap but then you will only (hopefully) buy the basic unit once.
Again trust the pros.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2015 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
Lifes short enough without bitch'n about it!

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

I would suggest you go to a Reese dealer and get a hitch. i use one with a friction sway bar. these are proven and are more reasonable than the exotics.

the OP already said they wanted a WDH with "built-in" sway control, not one with a friction sway bar.
that would be something like the Equal-i-zer or the Reese Dual-Cam.
i don't consider those to be "exotics". the Hensley and Pro-Pride would be in that category, simply based on how much they cost.

using a cheap friction anti-sway bar is been a proven design but it is based on a really old design.
newer ones with built-in sway control are much better and you can back up without having to remove the friction bar.
and with the Equal-i-zer, there's no chains and no drilling into the A-frame.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> It's official! We signed our papers today! (need hitch help)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS