|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> trailer storage

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
apahia

Anahiem,CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 02:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Guys,
Not sure if this is the right area to post my question but here goes.
I live in Hawaii and have a truck and toyhauler in storage in anahiem,Ca. We use our rig about a week or two every three to four months. When in storage we pull pull down all the shades and cover all the tires and such. What are some things that i should be concerned about with the trailer sitting for months at a time? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appriciated. This is our first trailer that we purchased about 8 months ago.

Thanks, Aaron

rav

Northern Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum
battery going dead - disconnect at least, drain all the water out of the fresh water tank and water heater. make sure all the food is out to avoid rodent issues. I would also be concerned about keeping some water in the toilet bowl so the seal wont go bad- try RV antifreeze so it wont evaporate.
propane turned off, and there will be more!

if you POST a problem please POST the solution!!!

2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab
2005 Bounder 38N
2012 Ford Escape toad
me, DW and our 2 dogs

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

or you could install a battery disconnect switch, so you wouldn't have to keep taking the battery out.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you might just take the battery and the tank off the TT, thus the drugies won't be tempted to steal them. all food and some water and chemicals in the black and gray tanks if you have a television in there take it out too, or you won't have it very long either. One concern is mice. you might want to put some dryer sheets around the TT to keep them out.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even nicer if you can find indoor storage. More secure, not exposed to the weather, costs more but may be worthwhile. Look in classifieds for storage. Might find a spot in an unlikely location.

We did. Not in CA but indoor on a farm & only $75 a month truck & trailer . You never know when luck strikes.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

apahia

Anahiem,CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your replies, great to get info from more experienced RV'er.

royST

ann arbor

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 02:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disconnect the battery. Drain out all the water. Don't leave any food in it. Leave a vent open to allow some airflow and avoid mildew and mold from starting to build up inside.

Also, instead of just covering the tires, I'd suggest to remove them and allow your TT to rest on some sturdy blocks or jacks. This will relieve the pressure from the tires and allow them to last a bit longer.

I agree with investing in an indoor storage, preferably one that has climate control. Bit expensive, but really worth it.

zak21

CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something not mentioned regarding the batteries is if you have access to ac power to use a battery tender or similar charger that will maintain the batteries. Even a disconnected battery will discharge and become damaged if let sit for months at a time.

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well don't you have a charmed life.... Hawaii and RV every few months... you're making us mainlanders jealous....just kidding.

I've had my wheel chocks stolen so you might look for the tension kind that can be locked in place.

Also the tire covers may blow off in a high wind use a bungee cord to secure them.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zak21 wrote:

Something not mentioned regarding the batteries is if you have access to ac power to use a battery tender or similar charger that will maintain the batteries. Even a disconnected battery will discharge and become damaged if let sit for months at a time.

Patently not true. Yes batterys discharge while on storage. No, storage of up to 6 months will not destroy batterys unless they were old & not in good condition to begin with.

Since 2006 I have had no choice but to store for periods of up to 6 months, batterys disconnected, no battery tending whatsoever.

Each spring upon reconection there has been plenty of power to operate landing legs & a minimal amount of time on the charger to return to full strength.

All kinds of equipment sits outside for extended storage. Nothing done. No battery chargers. Not even disconnected. Why would RVs in storage be any different?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> trailer storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS