|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Exhaust brake operation

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
crah

Las Vegas

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MSHappyCampers wrote:

Executive wrote:

A couple of things folks,.... Joe has a Windsor, which is a MONACO product...so he has a separate pedal on the floor for his exhaust brake. Leave the switch OFF and use the pedal. No taking eyes off the road, no fumbling feeling for a switch..activate when needed or wanted in town or outside town. As for the ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake, no, it will not activate with just the exhaust brake. It will apply slightly, if you have it set that tight, when the transmission shifts to second but then it will release immediately. Use of the exhaust brake will not affect the ReadyBrake system......Dennis

I just got the MH, but there's no pedal on the floor for the exhaust brake that I can see. There is a switch on the panel on the left side of the driver's seat that turns the exhaust brake on and off.

Dennis has the big dog of the Monacos with that feature. Your vintage windsor only has a switch.

2003 Holiday Rambler Scepter 36PST 3 Slide
Cummins ISC 350/Side Radiator
Banks System
2011 Buick Enclave Towed
Ready Brute/Ready Brake/Blue Ox

slemnah

none

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not all MH's have a pedal switch. My HR had a dash switch. I can clow the MH down almost to a dead stop using the exh brake if I have enough room to slow down. I also turn it on when the light changes and I am cruising along at the posted speed. I don't leave it on as I hate the constant engagement when I back off of the throttle.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

A couple of things folks,.... Joe has a Windsor, which is a MONACO product...so he has a separate pedal on the floor for his exhaust brake.
Dennis, FHI This is the second time that I'm aware of that you've posted this. My Monaco does not have a floor switch, but then it's a lowly Scepter.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvrepairnut wrote:

lanerd wrote:

Mine is wired such that the brake lights (and consequently the toad brakes) do not come on when I apply my exhaust brake. I don't think your toad brakes would last long coming down a long grade if they are activated by the exhaust brake.

Ron

your toad brake lights should be coming on when exhaust brake is activated.Pretty hard to wire it so that wont happen plus if it is possible it makes no sence at all to do it that way?
why would u not want the brake lite to come on when activating the exhaust brake? The coach brake lites come on

No, unfortunately, you're incorrect. Not only was it pre-wired at the factory for this U.S. Gear Unified Brake System so that the toad's brake lights wouldn't come on when the exhaust brake was activated, but the Unified unit itself is equipped with a diode to prevent this exact thing.

And for why you would want this....say you're going down a long grade that shifting to down to 4th is not quite enough to keep your speed from increasing. Activating the exhaust brake will not only keep the trans in 4th, it will also apply a little more braking force allowing you to stay within your required speed requirements. Doing this, you sure wouldn't want your toad brakes to be applied all that distance...if you did, you probably wouldn't have any toad brakes at the bottom.

Exhaust brakes are not for stopping quickly (when you definitely want your toad brakes to operate) but only to slow down the coach gradually in order to not use your service brakes that will enable them to last much longer that they would if you used them every time you just wanted to slow down.

Hope this makes sense (not sence, by the way) to you.

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev