|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> WDH Sizing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jeremywatco

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,

A while back my cheap & crappy WDH that came with my toyhauler purchase was stolen off my truck (wasnt locked...i know, i know).

I've been towing my Extreme 21LT Megalite without one now and its been OK... trailer doesnt sit perfectly level.

Tow vehicle is a 2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax.

Anyhow.. I'm finally getting around to buying a new WDH. I'm looking at the equalizer ones and I am having a tough time deciding what to buy.

The max weight of my trailer is 7800#. Being that its a toy hauler and the loads can/will vary I am thinking of erroring on the high side for tongue weight and calling it 15%.

Well 15% of 7800 (1170) would mean a 1200/12000lb Equalizer hitch.

This sounds like too much being that the dry weight of the trailer is only 4400#. I don't want to mess up the a-frame.

Do you think a 1000/10000# will do the job just fine?

Again, I've been towing just fine without a WDH at all.. I just feel I handled better with it... no sway issues so far with this truck... (pulling with a tundra I used to have.. Oh man.. it was all over the place).

THANKS!

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3/4 ton Duramax with a bumper pull 7800# GVWR. Depending on the installed hitch your truck doesn't need the WDH as you have already figured out. However, if you have a hitch that is less direct wieght bearing than 750 to 1000# then you need it for the hitch not the truck. Trailer will likely travel better with one than without one though.

If you get one, get the 1200 pound version. When lightly loaded just tighten it up less to prevent unneeded stress on the frame

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree get the 1200 and never look back. it will be worth it. for one thing if you ever get a larger Tt then you are all set with the 1200. that's the way it worked out for me.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should ALWAYS use the GVWR (the most your trailer will EVER weigh) to size your hitch decisions. I would look SERIOUSLY at advice that you don't NEED a WD system with your truck. Check the weight carrying capacity (should be stamped on the receiver itself) and you will see that unless your trailer tongue weight is VERY light, your hitch weight will exceed it.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

jeremywatco

San Diego, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for all the replies. How do you loosen an equalizer? I know on my old chain style you just drop a link. I agree I want the biggest hitch I can get but also don't want to mess things up. My next trailer may have to be a 5th wheel...

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 10:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

How do you loosen an equalizer?

The "L" brackets that the bars seat in are height adjustable.

'07 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited
'06 Forest River Flagstaff 26BH(sold)
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
Hitched by Hensley, Viewed by McKesh

Fishbreath

home

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sir

You may wish to have the weight of the tongue checked before you make your decision. Most toy haulers greatly exceed the "15%" rule that you used. My previously owned, "before totaled" WW tongue weight was 1730 pounds and the trailer only weighed 6800 pounds. This put it at closer to 25%. (Nope, this was not due to loading my stuff, just the wonderful design). Placing weight in the rig did NOT lower the weight on the tongue more than 100 pounds. This was because most of the weight was directly over the two axles.
Good luck with your project.
Bill

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> WDH Sizing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS