RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dinghy Towing: Roadmaster Invisibrake vs. US Gear Towbrake

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Roadmaster Invisibrake vs. US Gear Towbrake

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
2inAlabama

Lake Whitney, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at these two braking systems, it seems that both are triggered by an electrical signal from the MH brake light circuit. If this is true, I can't use either of these systems as I don't want my toad's brakes activated when my exhaust brake kicks in. My MH's brake lights are activated when my exhaust brake activates.

Anyone know how either of these systems work? The documentation that I have read is not clear on this point.

Another issue is that the Invisibrake doesn't supply vacuum to the power brakes boost pump to fully use the power brakes in the toad. Is this a problem? Do you get enough braking power without the toad's power brakes?

Just DH & DW
Shopping for a Foretravel U320 42 ft

univmd

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the US Gear Towbrake. We have an exhaust brake that turns on the brake lights. But I think I have to actually step on the brakes first before the US Gear will even be ready to activate, I'm not 100% sure. Either way, I have the sensitivity of the US Gear set light enough, so that the exhaust brake does not activate the US Gear.

* This post was edited 02/25/12 07:30pm by univmd *

2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

Popsie

Livingston, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the proper use of diodes, you can separate the current sent to the stop lights as a result of brake pedal activation from current sent to the stop lights from exhaust brake activation. It would be helpful to have a wiring diagram to select the right place to tap into the circuits.

MRUSA

Wellington, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/29/12 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the US Gear brake, and it comes with a diode whose sole purpose is to assure that the exhaust brake does not activate the tow brake. This has nothing to do with the sensitivity setting in the cockpit, which just determines how hard the tow car brakes when you step on the RV brake pedal.

Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2010 Lincoln MKT toad
Unified Tow Brake
Pressure Pro Tire Monitor

view2a.thrill

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Another issue is that the Invisibrake doesn't supply vacuum to the power brakes boost pump..."

Just finished installing an Invisibrake this past weekend. The towed vehicle's power brake booster vacuum line is tapped into with a tee and a check value. The vacuum line off the tee goes to the Invisibrake controller. For more details, take a look at the Invisibrake installation instructions, available on RoadMaster's website.

perduejo

San Marcos, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 02:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One installer told me that he did not like the Invisibrake because it over brakes the towed vehicle. The brake comes on for 15 seconds whether you are just tapping the brake or not. Is this true? How does it differ from the Unified Brake System?

I am considering installing on a Mercedes Sprinter (3 L diesel) to a Honda Fit. One system better than the other?

Thanks.

John & Linda Perdue
Leisure Travel Van Unity 24MB

view2a.thrill

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perdue: I believe your installer is misinformed.

Invisibrake activates the toad brakes when the MH brake pedal is depressed and releases when the MH brake pedal is released with a caveat: Invisibrake releases after 15 seconds even if you continue to depress the MH brake pedal for more than 15 seconds. If you want Invisibrake engaged again, simply release the MH brake pedal and depress again. There is a brake monitor light and audio signal that installs on the MH dash so you can see when the toad brakes are engaged. This monitor is tapped into the cold side wire of the toad’s brake light switch. The audio signal activates should the toad brakes stay engaged for more than 20 seconds.

Invisibrake brake pressure is adjustable with a knob and gauge on the controller.

With the exception of the monitor light installed on the MH dash, all the Invisibrake components are in the toad. You will need to first wire the lights on the toad for towing as the Invisibrake taps into the brake light wiring from the MH.

Our MH is a Winnebago View on a Sprinter chassis.

Happy RVin’

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Roadmaster Invisibrake vs. US Gear Towbrake
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS