|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Forced into full-timing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
W4RLR

Sewanee, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I made an offer on a house in Tennessee, and the owners were gracious enough to allow us to occupy the house while the financing was worked out.

It didn't work out. With no hope of finding another lender who will finance the home, we have to vacate. Thankfully, we have the fiver to fall back on, but have a house full of furniture to deal with, as well as three vehicles - my truck, the wife's car, and our daughter's former car that I used to drive around in for local trips. We moved our residency to Tennessee as the state is disabled veteran friendly. It would cost us too much to go back and re-establish residency in Florida.

I would welcome any comments from any of you who may have taken the plunge for full-time RV living under similar circumstances, and would appreciate tips for handling mail, traveling with pets, and any other sage advice.

Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2005 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered Workamping for a place to stay for a bit till you get better settled? You might be able to get a campsite and utilities for a few hours light work per week. Put all you stuff in storage somewhere.

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 Poodle

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 08:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This could be opportunity at your door. Pray about it. Make sure you are both on the same page so to speak.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a full timer, yet still working, I travel the east coast. Traveling extensively and moving often, I have a F-350 dually and a big truck camper. That's my abode until retirement next year.

Insurance is what it is in Florida and I hate paying that small hurricane fee added to the vehicle and camper. Be that as it may, my domicile is set up in FL. through St. Brendan's Isle ($12 per/mo) in Green Cove Springs (Clay County). IIRC, the tag on my F-350 is about $120/per yr. and my DL was a negligible cost and expires in 2018. No State income tax and no vehicle inspection. In fact, no other cost unless I'm in state and there isn't any law requiring my presence except jury duty.

Some years I've been in state maybe a month total and in others for 5 or 6 months. As a Florida native, having seen the state grow from 2.5 million to over 19 million, I'm not thoroughly convinced it's the state I'd want to settle down in. But that's another subject. It's still a good state to domicile in.

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. Grab a storage bin for the furniture until you decide what your options are on financing a home. Just watch the time as storage fees add up over time. Best of luck to you and travel safe.

RVn Full-time

W4RLR

Sewanee, Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lmcclure wrote:

Where are you in Tennessee? We will return to Spring City in a couple of weeks.
Powells Crossroads, just west of Chattanooga.

lmcclure

CANYON LAKE

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 on workamping and storage. Don't give up how about a lease to purchase plan. Then you can take some time to get financing. Use a UPS office to handle the mail and also give you a address. Where are you in Tennessee? We will return to Spring City in a couple of weeks.

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

This could be opportunity at your door. Pray about it. Make sure you are both on the same page so to speak.
X2. Do you really want or need a 'stick and brick'? If you can afford to store your furniture, do so, at least until you decide what to do. Sell your extra vehicles and hit the road. Take some time to enjoy this seeming setback. You just might end up liking the lifestyle.

2000 Born Free 24RB Class C
6.8L Ford V-10 Engine, E450 Chassis

Chief 2

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 05:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We sold our house and got rid of everything but some of my tools and family pics three years ago. Don't miss any of it. Well, maybe some of my tools, but we own a spot in an rv resort in Fla. Property taxes are dirt cheap and we spend 6 mos here and 6 mos on the road. No Florida summers and heat/humidity for us. We head for the cooler mountains by early May each year. Sounds like you need to have a big sale and start enjoying life.

2005 Lance 1181 Loaded
2005 Chevy 3500 4X4 Duramax, Edge Attitude Tuner, 5" Exhaust, Airaid, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig
2007 38RL3 Mobile Suite
2001 Bass Tracker 185

Here'n'There

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FIRST and foremost... Thank You for your service!

Mail forwarding... If you are going to be living in your 5er and don't plan on moving around a whole lot for a few months or whatever... you can recieve US Mail, UPS and FedEx right there at the RV Park / Campground you'll be staying at. Otherwise there are numerous forwarding services to choose from.. Escapees is the one we use but if ya Google "mail forwarding service" you'll see the others.

Travelling with pets....Most / many RV parks welcome the usual pets - some have breed or size restrictions but you can determine that with a phone call / surf the website prior to arriving. All bets are off if you have a couple of pet YAKS!

Other Sage(?) Advice....If you intend to fulltime only as long "as you have to" then a furniture storage unit is probably the way to go. As for the vehicles, DW can drive one of the cars while you drive the truck/5er. The other car can be stored or sold - whatever.

In all cases, I wish you and yours the best of luck. Let us know how ya make out.

Here'n'There
2009 Carri-Lite 36SBQ 5th Wheel
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel Dually
On the road with Here'n'There
Role of the C133 in Viet Nam

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm unclear. Is this a temporary thing until you can line up a new house or are you going full time on a long term basis?

If it's temporary, get a storage unit. If it's permanent, sell the extra stuff as soon as possible. It will only go down in value while eating up the monthly expense of a storage unit.

Tammy Mike & the Bilge Rat (AKA: Diego)
Ford F250 7.3L
1997 Sunnybrook 27' 5er
1995 Gemini Sail Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Forced into full-timing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing