|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Time to upgrade-Class A or 5th wheel toy hauler

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
taken

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us, the 5ver toy hauler was the way to go as our "toys" (atv's and a Can-Am Spyder) are for fair weather. On rainy days we like the ability to head out of the campground in the truck and not have to lug a big MH into town. Also, the truck you buy to tow your 5ver can be used for many other things when not camping so part of your invenstment is multi use. That was out logic. Good luck in your search.

TV - 2012 F350 SC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2013 Heartland Road Warrior 30C

bkirkpatrick

Brea / Orange County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We started with the Raptor 3612DS 5th wheel in 2005 and it has served us well. However, I have reached a point in my life (with all of my toys and lack of space in the 12' garage) that I would rather have a class A and a 28 foot trailer. I could load everything up in the trailer the night before and simply leave in the AM.

Our first thought with the 5th wheel was the convenience of being able to unhook and go get "something" if we needed to. However, our group always has a vehicle making a "run" somewhere and/or we are camped in such a place that has a store we can ride to.

Raptor - Modifications 

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bkirkpatrick wrote:

Y-Guy wrote:

We went from a Raptor 3612 & F360 SRW to our current Class A and trailer and glad we did.
Any specs on the F360?

I could tell you but then Ford would hunt you down and take you out

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

bkirkpatrick

Brea / Orange County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would have to get by my GMC c6500 first.

Mark and T

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No offense taken! Very appreciative of each response. I will take the advice to use the search tool, but I certainly got some great thoughts on this short post. We have a Honda VTX-1800 motorcycle (about 800 lbs) plus grills and bicycles. Sleep 3 regularly, 4 occasionally and my wife and I are back and forth on this issue constantly. And we can each take each choice and debate it all night. Thanks so much for the recommendations and points to ponder. We'll be in the HR trailering it to Daytona in a few weeks, but who knows what we'll be in by summertime. Thanks again. Great forum!

katoomer

Vancouver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Used to have a big toyhauler. Now we have a class A with an enclosed trailer.
I definitely prefer the class A

2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2009 Yamaha TTR125
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would prefer the class A and a trailer, but we only dry camp and we often forget stuff and have to cruise back town to get stuff. So it's not as practical. Not to mention that the class A's cost quite a bit more.

Mav

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

Blackdiamond

So. Cal

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bkirkpatrick wrote:

We started with the Raptor 3612DS 5th wheel in 2005 and it has served us well. However, I have reached a point in my life (with all of my toys and lack of space in the 12' garage) that I would rather have a class A and a 28 foot trailer. I could load everything up in the trailer the night before and simply leave in the AM.

Our first thought with the 5th wheel was the convenience of being able to unhook and go get "something" if we needed to. However, our group always has a vehicle making a "run" somewhere and/or we are camped in such a place that has a store we can ride to.

Careful with that size trailer you will be limited to a 32 ft long class A and be under the 65ft california max, Not many (if any) 32 ft class As can tow over 5000 lbs. I have a 39 ft class A and I can only tow a 20' trailer and be legal.

To the OP, it is a tough call and a personal call. Nothing nicer than driving a class A on the open road. There are times when I wish I had a truck to go pick up a broken down vehicle or rider or get supplies but I usually have one in my camping group, I just hate imposing.

03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC
02 200 EXC
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

asuperheat

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just wnt through this myself and Im making the jump to a Voltage 3795, it will be deliverd tomorrow. Current rig is a 35 foot Winnie V-10 F-53 Chassis. There is some things I will give up and some things I will gain. I also looked at the class A toy haulers and decided a 5th will should work best for us at less expense. I find I need a vehicle and want to take my toys also. So for us the 5th wheel just makes more sense. Most of our trips are 100-200 miles from home aprox once a month. I have a trailer to haul toys but just did not use it because I was towing a jeep most of the time and did not always have a place to store the trailer if I did not take the Jeep. I usually drove the jeep and class a seperate with the trailer when I tryed to take everything with us. Now we can take it all. We also gain more living space and sleeping capability over the class A. I think it greatly depends on your use of a rig and personal prefrence. The wife and kids give up more going to a fiver than I do. I always drive anyway and cant move around either way.

thebudman

Reno, NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y-Guy wrote:

bkirkpatrick wrote:

Y-Guy wrote:

We went from a Raptor 3612 & F360 SRW to our current Class A and trailer and glad we did.
Any specs on the F360?

I could tell you but then Ford would hunt you down and take you out

I understand that it's just an over-engineered F-260.

08 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Cab 6 sp manual
08 WW FK 2100
08 Rhino, 99 Honda TRX 400

RIP--USA: 1776 - 2012.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Time to upgrade-Class A or 5th wheel toy hauler
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts