RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Need Advise, Carpet Cleaning Techniques

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Need Advise, Carpet Cleaning Techniques

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jackandh2o

Golden Valley, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 6 years the house carpet really needs cleaning. No kids or guests in the foreseeable future so I dragged out the Hoover Steamvac that we have had a for a few years. Going back over the instructions it said to rinse the carpet after it was thoroughly dry from shampooing.

I have shampooed before but never rinsed it when I was finished.
Don't have a problem with rinsing if it is really needed, just wanted to get the furniture back into place.(got to watch Nascar)

What do you guys do??

Thanks
Ray

georgelesley

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you have a different Hoover than we do, ours says nothing about going back over the carpet when dry. We just did our entire house in a few days, worked great. I'd get another newer machine or rent one before I'd go over things twice.

George & Lesley
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always rinse. My method goes like this -- A forward pass to clean. Two or three passes to suck up the water. A forward pass to rinse and two or three passes to suck that up.

I've had three steam cleaners over the years, two Hoovers and a Bissell, and none of them said to wait for the carpet to dry before rinsing. They instructed to do as I said above. All of them said rinsing was an optional step, but it's one I've always chosen to do. Just makes sense to me to not leave soap residue on/in the carpet.

I cleaned my MIL's carpet once after she'd paid someone with a van-mounted unit to do it. Apparently that person didn't believe in rinsing. The soapy mess I pulled up from her carpet was gross. Although some of it may have had to do with whatever cleaning agent was used. I've never seen so many suds come up from carpeting.

Me and the DH
Two boys and two dogs (and two cats who prefer to stay home)
2008 Forest River Georgetown 350DS (bunkhouse model)
2001 Honda CR-V

jackandh2o

Golden Valley, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks folks. After reading the manual some more it also said rinsing wasn't required, just an option. My wife said we have never rinsed in the past and my thought was maybe it would stay cleaner. Being a smart husband I thought I should do as she suggested, we shall see.

Again thanks,

Ray

ro_sie

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a friend who has a carpet cleaning company and he told me several years ago that once you use a shampooer and have detergent in it, the next couple of times you clean, you should not use anymore detergent, as it builds up in the carpet. So I use detergent every third time I clean mine. BTW, it is my opinion that detergent will attract and hold the dirt to the carpet.

ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Holiday Rambler Endeavor

bullmastifflover

Gilbert, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I go to Lowes and rent the Wide Rug Doctor and find that to be faster and more effective than our Hoover Steamvac.

I usually only use water, but if the carpet seems especially dirty (we have light carpets) then I'll use soap. I always rinse the soap because I find if I don't rinse, dirt will stick to the soap residue and the carpets look gunky fairly quickly.

2001 F350 7.3 PSD 4x4
2002 Thor Tahoe Transport 33TB
2004 2332 VW sandrail, 4 seat, long travel
1993 Grumman 14' fishing boat

marvin_smith

huntsville

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/12 02:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easiest way to clean fresh stains from carpet is the use of backing soda.
Pour it dry and do not get it wet, let it sit for a minute and rinse it with fresh water.
Older stains are removed by the mixture of detergent, vinegar and warm water.

* This post was edited 08/16/12 08:37am by an administrator/moderator *

Mountain Mama

N. TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone who cleans their own carpet ever sprayed the carpet with Scotch Guard after cleaning? I know I've heard that is an "add on" carpet cleaning companies try to sell you after cleaning your carpets.

2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/12 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if rinsing has as much to do with the machine as it does with the product I use. Some products (soap) advertise "NO RINSING" and others require rinsing. I make sure I buy the rinse-free kind.

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/12 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have cleaned carpets for 30 years using a bunch of different machines and techniques.

I di tinse after the cleaning and you should see how dark the water is still. Soap and dirt will stay in and attract more dirt. Especially with weaker machines like residential cleaners. The y just don't spray the water hard enough to get deep down and then the suction isn't enough to get it back out.
We have two Hovers that we used around the house but brought home a commercial unit with a high powered pump and twin vacuums the last time. Not only was the job much faster, it pulled out a lot more than I expected to be there as we had just done it a month before. It also stayed cleaner longer. Why? Because the Hovers do a good job of making the surface looking good but the commercial unit got down to the nap.

The spot remover we use is a mix of Tech, Oxyclean and hot water. It does take some time to get the soap back out but it is bringing the dirt with it.

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2007/2003 Ford Expedition
490w solar with dual Eco-worthy controllers.
345 ah bank.
Champion 3500/4000 w/ remote start.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Need Advise, Carpet Cleaning Techniques
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS