|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> New State Park Host - Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
MTPockets1

USA - Usually West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recognizing that Hosts duties may vary from State to State, and since this is our first Hosting job, and it's a State Park, We will be parked in a site with a sign - Camp Host:

Question: Are there many instances/campers who come to the Host site for assistance of any kind? or, questions? etc? ...

2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

dgo1369

Georgetown, TX, US

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MTPockets1 wrote:

Recognizing that Hosts duties may vary from State to State, and since this is our first Hosting job, and it's a State Park, We will be parked in a site with a sign - Camp Host:

Question: Are there many instances/campers who come to the Host site for assistance of any kind? or, questions? etc? ...

Oh yeah! That's just PART of your job. You will also be expected to do whatever it was you signed on for in addition to being a Goodwill ambassador for the park, know directions to local places, be a mother (regardless of what sex you are), jack of all trades, etc. Don't limit your opportunities and you will really enjoy volunteering. Be positive, smile, helpful and you will be successful.

Dennis Osha

mtnbiker1096

Idaho Falls, ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At a smaller campground back about 15 years ago we realized we had forgotten the hotdog sticks. Now having young kids we knew that not being able to roast hotdogs and marshmallows would never fly. While looking for suitable replacements we ran into the camp host. While chatting we told him of our issue. He promply and with enthusiasm let us use his personal ones. He and his wife even came and shared our fire for a while. They were wonderful people and a joy to be around. Very helpful to everyone in the camp. After that short trip is when I started thinking about camp hosting after retirement.
Go above and beyond. You never know who you may impact with a simple gesture.

Derek

MTPockets1

USA - Usually West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dgo1369 wrote:

MTPockets1 wrote:

Oh yeah! That's just PART of your job. You will also be expected to do whatever it was you signed on for in addition to being a Goodwill ambassador for the park, know directions to local places, be a mother (regardless of what sex you are), jack of all trades, etc. Don't limit your opportunities and you will really enjoy volunteering. Be positive, smile, helpful and you will be successful.

This 'is' what we imagined and signed on to do; look forward to getting into it! Just didn't know how much came to you vs. us going to them.....

dqdick

Council Grove, KS

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll find some of both. Look for opportunities to make someone's stay memorable and your's will be also.

Dick and Joyce
2010 Montana 3665RE
Dodge 2500HD Maxi Cab Laramie Edition
Diego, Norm, & Bitsy

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if the park is a busy one, you can expect some visits for info and maybe you'll be the firewood keeper/seller. and there could be a complaint or two to handle.

but most of the time, it's pleasant duty, so enjoy.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
( Sometimes ) BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
M&G aux brake system
Datastorm 3990
854 watts of solar power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camphosted for the first time this past August in a VA State park and we LOVED it!!! We were not required to clean bathrooms or any of that stuff, but if something needed attention, we were asked to let the appropriate people know.

We had people come to visit just to ask about the park, ask about the offerings in the area, get matches, give change for the laundry, help with backing into a tight spot, firewood, ice. The backing in was for a couple of women who came camping and left the "menfolk" home to come camping on Friday. They had never pulled their popups, nor had they ever backed them in. One of them did a fabulous job, the other, not so much. It took me 2 tries, but I got it right in there.

During the first week of August, it was HOTTT!!! There was a 3 family group that were in tents that camped for a week. They used up ice about every 3 hours. I finally offered my large 5-day cooler so they wouldn't have to use quite as much ice.

I would give out information on the trails and what type of shape you had to be in to make the hike.

I loaned out tools of almost every type that we had. I boosted batteries, fed a few that had just arrived after a long, long trip and my food was ready and so many other things I can't even remember now.

I had people come to the camphost site up until I turned off my lights, sometime around midnight and as early as 7 am. I didn't mind the midnight, but 7 am is awfully early for me.

It was great meeting people from all over the country and from all walks of life.

Finally Fulltiming

Summer: NYS Finger Lakes; Winter: Someplace warm

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course conditions vary greatly from park to park, but Merrykalia provides a good summary.

One tip I can add: Get a copy of the local phone book - at least the Yellow Pages. Answers a whole lot of Q's from folks who don't have GPS (or don't know how to use it). It also solves a minor problem at parks where they don't allow you to recommend repair service providers. Just let the folks borrow the book.

Hope your experience is as rewarding and fun as the vast majority of mine have been.

DianneOK

Donnelly, ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were the hosts for many years. One summer the cg was full. Not every site had a fire ring. A family was camping and no ring. The neighbor had one, was not using it, but refused to let the family do their DO cooking in the ring. They came to me and asked what to do. I told them to use my ring and have a good time. They did and later brought us some of the best DO baked pineapple upside down cake we have ever eaten.

Most campers are great and we loved the job. Once in a while it was challenging, to say the least

Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

TexasH

Katy, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's one of the best part about hosting. You meet all kinds of folks out there. Sure, there are the few stupid ones, and a few just plain messy folks, but they are vastly outnumbered by the good folks you meet. It can be a joy to help people and make their experience a happy one. Just kick back and enjoy the experiences!

2002 Southwind 37U Ford F53 - V10
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> New State Park Host - Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: