|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> New State Park Host - Question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Alpenliter

Fulltimer: Wherever we are!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MTPockets1 wrote:

Recognizing that Hosts duties may vary from State to State, and since this is our first Hosting job, and it's a State Park, We will be parked in a site with a sign - Camp Host:

Question: Are there many instances/campers who come to the Host site for assistance of any kind? or, questions? etc? ...

Just out of curiosity, what did you envision the job entailed when you signed on?

My first Wife Linda, 45+years 2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade Bulletproof Diesel upgrades 1997 33' Alpenlite 400 Watts Solar Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174 Escapees SKP#89882 Vietnam Vet '67-'68 [

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

stickdog

29.820224, 81.94542

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you say different SP systems have different work requirements for camp hosts. The park you work at will give you an overview of those duties. Just remember just because you have a "OFF DUTY" sign up means nothing. Just smile and enjoy.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
04 HitchHiker DA LS 33.5 RLTG
09 F350 CC DRW 4X4
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

fullmoonoversalem

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 12:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My DH and I are hosts in AK for State Parks. Expect ANYTHING!! It can happen. You will not be bored. This will be our 5th year with ASP.

2007 Damon Challenger
2005 Saturn Ion

Moli, our sweet Lab Mix
Gus, our insane, sweet Cat

MTPockets1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alpenliter wrote:

MTPockets1 wrote:

Recognizing that Hosts duties may vary from State to State, and since this is our first Hosting job, and it's a State Park, We will be parked in a site with a sign - Camp Host:

Question: Are there many instances/campers who come to the Host site for assistance of any kind? or, questions? etc? ...

Just out of curiosity, what did you envision the job entailed when you signed on?

Envisioned pretty much what is being said here... park did a good job with spelling out duties etc... Just wanted to hear more first hand experiences to confirm our thoughts.... thanks

2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter 7000 lb axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

Freeballin

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i think OP was more leaning towards "How often do you get knocks in the middle of the night for situations that could wait" type of situations, with the camp host signage. I am interested in this as well.

Examples, noise complaints seem to be common. Do camp hosts receive those complaints(knocks on the door) in the middle of the night often? Are you expected to handle them asap? Drunks banging on the door for more firewood at night? Possible low parts of the signage etc...

Just my 2 cents, again i think the OP wanted more specific thoughts then just "Go above & beyond" and "What exactly did you envision this job to be like then?"

Full-timing Ski Instructor

shenandoahvalley

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like Merrykalia, I also have hosted several months in VA State parks. I was never bothered after about 10 pm and I was usually the first one up and about in the morning. The CG I hosted had 32 sites so it was easy to cover all the territory. I made it a practice to try to meet everyone at their site, tell them where I was and let them know I was available. I always made a circuit about the beginning of quiet hours and if there was anything too loud going on I called the LEO on duty and asked him to swing by at which time both of us would drop into the offending site and mention it was time to quiet down...we never had a continuing issue. Overall it was a fantastic experience, the worst problem I had to deal with was campers letting their dogs either run loose or leave the droppings. Did two months last year and scheduled for three this year...love it.

Finally Fulltiming

Summer: NYS Finger Lakes; Winter: Someplace warm

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freeballin - you're a ski instructor. Are all your students the same??

I think not. Likely you experience major differences.

Same with CG's - some are party places, some fishing camps, some mostly older folks, some much younger. No way we can offer "specific thoughts" about a CG we've never even been to. We can relate our own good & bad happenings, but no way can we forecast what your experience will be like.

Just jump in & try it. There's no contract. If you don't like it, that's why you've got wheels.

Freeballin

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally Fulltiming wrote:

We can relate our own good & bad happenings,

Most likely what the Ops looking for, and I thank those who have shared those experiences.

MTPockets1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like mostly positive and we thank you all for the input..... I imagine we'll get along just fine and enjoy it all.

Kirk

Livingston, Texas.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MTPockets1

The host position can be pretty much as good or as bad as you choose to make it. If you enjoy people and are friendly and outward going, you will have a great time. While there may be an occasional unhappy person and even a few who are impossible to please, there are far more who are great folks and you get back just as much as you put into it. We have been given fresh fish, often already cleaned and ready to cook, invited to dinner or to an evening campfire, had shared deserts, and a lot of other things. The most important parts of the position are to be a friendly face to the visitors and a presence in the park for the rangers. It is a wonderful experience for those who make it fun!

Good travelin! ........Kirk
Professional Volunteer
Fulltimer for 11 years,
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> New State Park Host - Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts