RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Wide track axles - Do they really help?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Wide track axles - Do they really help?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mrgeezer2u

Reading, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eric james wrote:

mrgeezer2u wrote:

eric james wrote:

I think your Tourag will do a good job. Just need to get the right trailer. Power is rarely the issue with most SUVs. It's wheelbase and payload.

Before I got the Expedition, I towed with a V8 Grand Cherokee. 106" wheelbase.

I towed a 26' 4200lb trailer for two years. It was fine. A really good WD Hitch would have been better for me.

I would recommend nothing over "26" in the model number and go ultra light. Get an Equal-i-zer or Reese Strait Line hitch minimum.

How heavy? Take your towing capacity x 80% then subtract 1000 lbs. That number would be the max dry weight to shop.

Thanks. You have confirmed much of what I've read. Only problem is that we like the rear living trailers and many with 27 in the model number. I know that's pushing it which is why I'm asking about the wide axles. Trying to stay around 5,200 lbs dry. Either way, we will use a good WD and sway control hitch.

I don't think 26-27 should be a deal breaker. Your VW's wheelbase is 5" shorter than my Expedition. I towed that pictured trailer with the Expedition effortlessly. Now the Passport is the max I can handle.

How often/far do you plan to travel?

Well, we "plan" on travelling a lot, maybe even cross country. That's why I'm concerned about how it tows. What model Passport? We like the 2850 but afraid a bit too long?

BTW, how are things in Sioux Falls? Haven't been there in years. Used to go there a lot when I worked for Western Surety.

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Extensive travel = shorter trailer unfortunately in my opinion.

When I run across the state to the Black Hills with my set up, after 5 hours in the wind, I'm tired.

You'll have to do some digging to find a shorter rear living room floorplan. I looked at the 2850 you mentioned and I wouldn't feel comfortable with that much trailer long travels. Locally maybe.

Sioux Falls is a hidden gem in the snow banks. We moved here in 2001 and the growth is very positive. Stop by on your cross country travels.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

bfast54

Traverse City ,Mi.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Transporting RVs I have found these "New" wide track units are more stable, in my opinion , than many of the old school types.

Keep in mind I have only towed a few ( hundred ) trailers.............so, you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt.

The high "Cheap" aluminum trailers I found were the worst to tow. Did not track well, and wanted to sway, even with my big truck.....could not imagine some of them behind a passenger vehicle.

2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2000 Cardinal 27RK LX
Prodigy Brake Controller
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 1300 /GPS
Doran Pressure Pro
VU Qube Satelite
Rally's attended so far-21
My Blog
Good Sam Member

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bicyclemark wrote:

The Wide tracks are also more difficult to work with when leveling the trailer with boards.

Just my 2 cents

Why? but then I use lynx levelers, and I'm thinkin it would be the same

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By 'wide track axle', do you mean a spread axle tandem, or an axle with a wider width? To me, 'wide track axle' means just that, a wider axle. A spread axle tandem has 2 axles that are further apart from each other than a normal tandem set. Spread tandem and tri axles are common on commercial flat bed semi trailers. The forward axle is there to carry loads that weight the trailer heavily in the middle, rather than up front over the tractor's axles or out back over the trailer's axles.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

By 'wide track axle', do you mean a spread axle tandem, or an axle with a wider width? To me, 'wide track axle' means just that, a wider axle. A spread axle tandem has 2 axles that are further apart from each other than a normal tandem set. Spread tandem and tri axles are common on commercial flat bed semi trailers. The forward axle is there to carry loads that weight the trailer heavily in the middle, rather than up front over the tractor's axles or out back over the trailer's axles.

Jayco calles it Wide stance Tracker axles. Others call them Stabil Trax. Just supposed to make it trck better.

One of the real benifits. they run cooler, as they are farther apart, and don't heat each other up.

autorot8

N. CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bicyclemark wrote:

The Wide tracks are also more difficult to work with when leveling the trailer with boards and good luck if you wish to use a between the wheels chalk.

This is no longer true as you can now get Rotochoks for a wide stance axle TT.

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 6.4l Hemi to pull my Prime Time Lacrosse 296BHS
"Overstating the Obvious rarely helps the Oblivious!"

mrgeezer2u

Reading, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

APT wrote:

I recommend a high quality shorter TT for traveling a lot as a retired couple. Something like a Lance 2285 or 2385. Well under 5000 pounds dry with under 500 pounds dry hitch weight.

I hear ya, but DW wants roooooooom. Need to compromize. Thinking 26'.

bicyclemark

Saint Paul, MN

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

bicyclemark wrote:

The Wide tracks are also more difficult to work with when leveling the trailer with boards.

Just my 2 cents

Why? but then I use lynx levelers, and I'm thinkin it would be the same

The leveling boards will have to be that much longer. Longer boards take up more room and are a bit more unwieldy. I suppose you use 2 sets.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recommend a high quality shorter TT for traveling a lot as a retired couple. Something like a Lance 2285 or 2385. Well under 5000 pounds dry with under 500 pounds dry hitch weight.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Wide track axles - Do they really help?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS