|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Turning in Tourist Permit at Tecate

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ed White

Kelowna, BC, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm interested to learn how folks handle the turning in of their tourist permit when exiting Mexico at Tecate after time on the Baja?

An Rving friend gave us an address to mail it to, but it would be nice to get independent confirmation that mailing it won't cause problems next year when we return.

The address we were given is:

Instituto National de Migracion
Puente Puerta S/N
Colonia Federal
Tijuana, B.C., Mexico
C.P. 22310

kca87

La Paz, BCS, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a Baja Nomad post that provides a different address than what you have at Mailing in FMM

Specifically the address is: State Secretariat of Tourism P.O. Box #2448 Chula Vista Ca. Zip. 91912 and this is supposedly based on a letter received from the secretary of tourism.

We have our FM2s and don't turn in an FMM when crossing back into the US so I cannot help you with what our experience has been.

If you do learn something definitive, it would be very helpful to post it here as this is always a question everyone has about FMMs.

Charlene

Ken,Charlene, Cody, and Jake

Snow River TC

BC Canada summer / Jalisco, Mexico winter

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe you can turn it in in Ensenada. The office is a small single storey (if I recall) white building on the east side of the street just north of a Y-intersection at the northern end of Ensenada (marina area) near the water. Its near the Capitania del Puerto building and parking is tight. It's open 8-8 I believe. Southbound, you do not need a tourist permit until you get to the checkpoint between Ensenada & Santo Tomas.

Ed White

Kelowna, BC, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for that information Snow River. If you, or anyone else, is familiar with Google Earth, could you please plug coordinates N 31 51.9, W 116 39.45 into the "Fly To" box and see if that is the Y intersection in question.

Google Earth indicates that the Capitania del Puerto building is in this area. It would be REALLY helpful if you can actually identify the building with coordinates on Google Earth.

Google Earth has done Street View in that area, so you can actually see street and building panoramas by dragging the "orange man" down to street view.

Snow River TC

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wrong Y-intersection, but close. This is minor one. If you look on Google earth at N31.861409 W 116.630601, I am 95% sure it is either that white building or the one just to its right.

Opposite that sheltered Marina. I suspect its there as people arriving in boats can easily access it.

It's certainly in that block.

HOLD THE PRESSES!!!

On edit, I found it in street view its a bit north of those 2 buildings, in fact I can see the Capitan de Puerto building & its immediately north of that.

Here are the actual co-ordinates, you can see the immigration sign in street view

N 31.861215
W 116.631233

Looks like they may have put in a parking lot on its south side since I was there 6 years ago.

Happy I could be of assistance.

* This post was edited 02/26/12 05:27pm by Snow River TC *

Ed White

Kelowna, BC, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you Snow River. Excellent work with Google Earth. Much appreciated.

Snow River TC

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

De Nada. I am surprised my memory was that good, its been awhile since I was there.

kca87

La Paz, BCS, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To Ed White: Once you visit this location and actually turn in your FMM, would you mind posting again any information? That is - that yes, they allow you to return it here because you actually did it recently.

Of course Snow River is probably absolutely right about this - but if there are any changes or updates in the last few years, it would be good to know what those are. So many people have this very same question and I never have a good answer - looks like this might be it!

Thanks Snow River!

Charlene

Snow River TC

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am trying to wrack my brains if I actually turned mine back in here. I remember picking it up there to start with. I think I did. I did cross at Tecate that year, and I am pretty sure I did not turn it in at the border.

I am sure you cannot return a vehicle permit there, you have to do that at the Tijuana crossing. That year I never had one since I stayed in Baja. Maybe you could ask that question for future reference if they speak English. They are not a Banercito, so i very much doubt you can return a TIP.

kinodeeno

Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Posted By: kca87 on 02/26/12 12:39pm wrote:

We have our FM2s and don't turn in an FMM when crossing back into the US so I cannot help you with what our experience has been.

If you do learn something definitive, it would be very helpful to post it here as this is always a question everyone has about FMMs.

============================
We'd like to preempt the following with: "These questions are based upon your profile and your comments" so we could admitedly be incorrect and apologize justly for our questions re: your FM2, but.......

1. How is it that you drive foreign plated vehicles?

2. How do you manage "Summers in Washington"?

Undoubtedly, we are not the only Non-Snowbirders on this forum and/or other forums where FM2 holders would ENJOY knowing how you manage these two issues.

Granted there are many amongst us who manage to "skirt" some of the rules & regulations, and thusly they refuse to "share their secrets" to what tricks they play. So in advance, we thoroughly understand if you don't care to divulge your methods. It's just that since you brought up the subject of "posting here" that prompted us to inquire.

Thanks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Turning in Tourist Permit at Tecate
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS