RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: GVWR.... According to Trailer Life Magazine

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> GVWR.... According to Trailer Life Magazine

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And who else has seen tow ratings and/or GVWR go up without anything more than just a HP jump?!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Shadow R.I.P.

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is a firm, never to be exceeded LIMIT, why isn't it CALLED GVWL (Gross Vehicle Weight Limit) or GAWL (Gross Axle Weight Limit or GCVWL (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Limit)?
Instead, they are all RATINGS. Seems to me the Legal Beagles would be all over that like stink on a papermill! If they could (or wanted to) make it a definite LIMIT, they would do so!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmcsmoke wrote:

Perhaps the big 3 ought to consult the armchair engineers of Rv.net when designing their next tow beast.

That is actually a very good idea! nothing like getting input from the people that use a truck as it was designed for.
Instead of magazine testr drivers that only seem to care about cupholders and a boat like ride!

kaydeejay

SE Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regulars on here know I have been round and round this discussion several times,including personal experience of liability lawsuits.
But after having been called a liar (more than once!) I don't comment any more, but I will present facts.

What follows are four Manufacturer's statements regarding ratings:-

Chrysler/Dodge
While it's not listed in the charts, tongue weight is also an important consideration. The recommended tongue weight is between 10 & 15% of the trailer weight. However, the maximum tongue weight on Class III (The bumper ball) is limited to 500 lbs, and Class IV (The receiver hitch) to 1200 lbs. This requirement overrides any recommended GTW rating, between 10% and 15% of gross trailer weight (GTW). Additionally, the GAWRs and GVWRs should never be exceeded.

Ford
Trailer tongue (trailer king pin for fifth-wheel towing) load weight should be 10-15% (15-25% for fifth-wheel towing) of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue (trailer king pin for fifth-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue (trailer king pin for fifth-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.

GM
Addition of trailer tongue weight cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (RGAWR) or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).

Toyota

(From Toyota vehicle specs, towing link (2)

Before towing, confirm your vehicle and trailer are compatible, hooked up and loaded properly and that you have any necessary additional equipment. Do not exceed any Weight Ratings and follow all instructions in your Owner's Manual. The maximum you can tow depends on the total weight of any cargo, occupants and available equipment. Calculated with new SAE J2807 method.

Keith J.
1999 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver.
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC/SB/DA 2WD, LLY with LBZ air cleaner, 52 gal Titan tank, Bilsteins, Line-X, Westin steps, Prodigy, Retrax cover, 16K Superglide, 5th-Airborne pin-box, Multi-vex mirrors, TST TPMS.

gmcsmoke

Butler

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 04:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps the big 3 ought to consult the armchair engineers of Rv.net when designing their next tow beast.

Cedarhill

Deep South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The towing guide that came with my truck said not to exceed the weight "rating". I would guess that most tow vehicle owner's manuals say the same thing. I don't see any difference in the meaning of "limit" and "rating" in this context and I doubt if very many lawyers would either.

kaydeejay

SE Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 01:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CakeHenn wrote:

I'd say that probably do get that input...but then again they probably look at the entire market of people who buy their cars and trucks and give them what they want. I live in Texas and big trucks are common and there are so many that own big powerful trucks yet down really tow or haul anything on a regular basis that even comes close to capacity.
You nailed it! Our towing/hauling situation represents less than 5% of their HD truck market. We would get a lot more attention if it was 50% or better.
That being said, the OEMs DO take towing into consideration and spend quite a lot of effort in that area.
If they took a poll of everyone on RVNet, do you think they would get consistent opinions, even from within our community??

CakeHenn

Temple, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a new 2010 Tundra two years ago. I'm not sure it's still up but on the Tundra website back then they had this pretty cool documentary of how they put the Tundra to a 100k mile test with a West Texas rancher who always drove 3/4 ton trucks. They had him drive it and use it as he did his other trucks. They talked about how he often exceeded the towing and hauling capacities. They pretty much bragged how it was treated like a 3/4 ton truck and how it held up. After it was used the engineers broke it down to look at all the parts and they said how it handled all the abuse really well.

Anyway...my TT is 6300 gross so I'm well within all my limits and I'd never go over but after reading all this I think it's funny that they would basically brag about going over and it still working well.

TT: 2013 Jayco Eagle 314
Truck: 2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Duck Gun: Benelli Super Black Eagle II

CakeHenn

Temple, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

gmcsmoke wrote:

That is actually a very good idea! nothing like getting input from the people that use a truck as it was designed for.
Instead of magazine testr drivers that only seem to care about cupholders and a boat like ride!

I'd say that probably do get that input...but then again they probably look at the entire market of people who buy their cars and trucks and give them what they want. I live in Texas and big trucks are common and there are so many that own big powerful trucks yet down really tow or haul anything on a regular basis that even comes close to capacity.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> GVWR.... According to Trailer Life Magazine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS