|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Report from the beach

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Bluhorn

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before my trip to Fort Myers,Fl, I was recalculating costs,especially diesel,to try to get some sort of idea of what this trip will set me back. Now that I am here at Red Coconut RV,laying on the beach,swimming in the Gulf,watching the palm trees sway,all in mid 80 degree temps mind you,all the worries melt away.
Of course we all have budgets we have to go by. It saddens me to read some of these posts that say that some are not going on there long awaited vacations because of costs,fuel,etc. Sometimes we have no choice due to health,job or other concerns. But my point is that there are ways to save,eat in more often,shorter stays,the main thing is to go. Family time is priceless and its important. After suffering through some health issues, I know life is way to short. Don't sweat the small stuff. Get out there and enjoy! Safe travels.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 Auto 5.9 CTD "Brutis"
2006 Wildcat 28RK Fifth Wheel
16K Husky Slide
Kodi the Kamping Kanine

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our many many trips we never counted the price of gas. We have so much money to spend for each outing and when it's gone, it's time to come home. The extra we spend on gas is the money we don't spend on eating out, souvenirs, shopping, entertainment. The high price of gas is hurting everyone.

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MT, my thoughts exactly. If we are currently paying ( in our case) around $3.90 per gallon for diesel, if it goes up to $4.90. them its about 25 gallons for our more often trip so we will be paying $25 more for fuel, not counting the boat motor. So what is all this angnst(sp) about rising fuel costs, you can't take it with you.

John A. Lichty

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bluhorn wrote:

Before my trip to Fort Myers,Fl, I was recalculating costs,especially diesel,to try to get some sort of idea of what this trip will set me back. Now that I am here at Red Coconut RV,laying on the beach,swimming in the Gulf,watching the palm trees sway,all in mid 80 degree temps mind you,all the worries melt away.
Of course we all have budgets we have to go by. It saddens me to read some of these posts that say that some are not going on there long awaited vacations because of costs,fuel,etc. Sometimes we have no choice due to health,job or other concerns. But my point is that there are ways to save,eat in more often,shorter stays,the main thing is to go. Family time is priceless and its important. After suffering through some health issues, I know life is way to short. Don't sweat the small stuff. Get out there and enjoy! Safe travels.

Well Said

Fuel costs for a snow bird like us are not a major issue. In camping for the first two months this year my camping fees are about 1500 (about half state parks) and fuel is 750.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
175 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

Billieg2

Gone from this forum

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rode the Harley today to Ft. Myers beach and had lunch. It doesn't get much better than this. Glad I live on an island overlooking Sanibel and Ft. Myers beach. Now I get to come up to your neck of the woods in June and have the best of both worlds. Fuel will be a problem but you can't take it with you. Enjoy my back yard!

In my life I've spent my money on women, booze, Harleys, guitars and traveling, the rest I just wasted...

2007 Ford F-350 diesel/dually & Sunnybrook Titan KSRV 39-1 Toy hauler 5th wheel hauling my custom Harley

MTPockets1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doing the math, Fuel costs are not going to slow me down..... At 12MPG .... If fuel goes up $1.00/gal .... that's just a tad over 8 cents per mile more. For every 1000 miles, an added fuel bill of $83.00 .... Not that horrible when you consider the trip, the enjoyment, sights, memories, etc......

2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter 7000 lb axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most folks who can afford an RV can also afford the fuel it takes to use it. bottom line is that if you can't afford the fuel you REALLY can't afford the RV. I wouldn't advise anyone to "go into hock" for a vacation but as the OP mentioned, there are lots of compromises that can be made to make SOME sort of vacation affordable. Money was often VERY tight when my kids were small but we usually found a way to take a vacation with them. Sometimes it might be just to the next state or even someplace relatively local. It doesn't HAVE to involve several thousand miles of travel to make those memories and to have a good time.

Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

diesel man 03

the north country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also in Ft Myers, agree with the 2 first replys.

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I absolutely agree. the increase is never nice but doable for sure for most.
on paper it actually isn't that bad if you save a little from other areas.

I am a firm believer my trips ADD more to my life than saving an extra $100-200.
they add to my mental health

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Report from the beach
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS