|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> travel to arkansas

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
wildwood477

Edwards, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

leaving from upstate ny, thinking of going I90 to I65 then I40. any good places to stay along the way? Are rest areas or truck stops a place to stay over night? Leaving in late May, what are best times to travel around big cities? this will be our first trip ever.

Dennis M M

Geneva, IL; Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From Edwards I would certainly take I-81 all the way south to I-40. We have made that trip northbound from TN and FL to Canton a couple of times and it is good road all the way. The mountains in that area are no big deal on the interstate. We have also run I-40 from NM to TN a number of times and that is good road all the way as well.

I-80/90 is a bad choice as you have tolls all the way across NY, Ohio and Indiana. Definitely avoid I-65!! First it brings you back east unnecessarily, second it is a PIA - from I-80/90 to Indy it is two lanes of heavy truck traffic most of the way, third it is a pain through Louisville. If we did not live in the Chicago area I would never travel I-65. We often go out of our way to avoid it.

BTW - I was born in Potsdam and we lived in Russell, left there in 1948 though. Still have family in the area.

We like Cracker Barrels for quick overnight stops. Truck stops are noisy and not much space, rest areas are chancy security wise. Cracker Barrels or Wal Marts are good bets if you are driving late and leaving early.

If you want to stop in the late afternoon and relax a campground is a better bet. Check out Passport America you can easily save the cost of membership in one trip.

We try to avoid big cities in evening rush hour and around lunchtime. When we were traveling on a schedule I would try to get through metro areas late in the evening and then be heading away the next morning.

* This post was edited 02/26/12 03:14pm by Dennis M M *

'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'11 smart fortwo on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

wildwood477

Edwards, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for the info, 81 to 40 was my first thought but looked like a longer route. you just helped me make up my mind, so one can spend a night at cracker barrel? arn't most walmarts off the beaten path, I hate the thought of trying to get my trailer thru streets or intersections, ( I know just do it)' We drove it a couple of years ago in just the truck, Dakota at the time and my knuckles were white in some of the 8 lane traffic. guess I am just not an adventure like my mother, she dragged a 5th wheeler to california, flordia and colorado a couple of times. She was 75 and 79 yrs. old doing that.

johntank

North MS

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildwood477 wrote:

leaving from upstate ny, thinking of going I90 to I65 then I40. any good places to stay along the way? Are rest areas or truck stops a place to stay over night? Leaving in late May, what are best times to travel around big cities? this will be our first trip ever.

Are rest areas / truck stops a place to stay over night?
Yes, We like Walmarts and trucks stops the most.q

What are the best times to travel around big cities?
Time wise would be between 9:30am to 3:30/4:00pm, or 7:00pm to 7:00am for most.

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baileyton RV Park right off I-81 in TN is a nice, small park. Would definitely stop there again. I-81 to I-40 is a very scenic road and easy to travel on.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wildwood,

Dennis is so right about the tolls. DW still has family north of Albany and we NEVER run the Thruway with the coach.

Ohio targets out of state plates to tap for speeding.

It is always good to avoid urban areas during drivetime, but even if you can't just be patient. They want to get to work/home. Let them.

Will you be traveling with a laptop?
Plan on it. Then get Street Alas or Treets and Strips with the GPS. Learn to use it. I like SA better because the planing features seem to work better. You can download a 60day copy of Strips and Treets and try it out.

The go to Discovery owner's goldmine and collect the overlays so the navigator program will show the places you can overnight (free). There are lots of them. Walmarts are frequently in view of major highways. Between Wally's, Cracker Barrel, Truck stops (not my favorite) and highway rest stops (a little better) and all the others, we never pay for a campground when all we are going to do is sleep. In a total of four months on the road over the last six years, we have paid for four campgrounds other than special events (like rallies).

Good Luck

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

linnemj

Northern Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I plan a trip I determine how many days I want to spend at my destination and how many miles I am comfortable traveling a day. One suggestion is to determine potential towns for overnight stays and then look for campgrounds using this link:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

One recommendation I have for a stay near Crossville, TN is Cumberland Mountain State Park.

We use free stays at Wal-marts or rest areas when we need to make time.

We travel I-40 and I-81 often traveling from Memphis to Philadelphia. It is a good route and the only downside is heavy truck traffic.

Let us know if you desire campground recommendations in Arkansas.

Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

wildwood477

Edwards, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all who have replied, you're info and experience was greatly appreciated. Wildwood

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> travel to arkansas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS