RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: fort wilderness plans

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> fort wilderness plans

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
2 Retired

Myrtle Beach, SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Early stages of planning a family vacation to Fort Wilderness July 2014. Trying to "ball Park" some expenses. Suggestions on meal options, park hopper option, golf cart rentals. Know prices will change (go up) but just trying to get ideas on costs. Anyone rented a golf cart? Whats the going price per day now? Is it worth it to get the meal options for family of 6 adults and 3 kids under 6? Will get one campsite for our MH and then rent 2 cabins for kids' families. Think park hopper option on tickets is good idea - anyone have opinions on that? Planning a 5 day trip. Thanks for the help.

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fort Fiends

Dis Boards

All Ears

these are a few websites that will have the most to offer with regard to your question.

If you plan on having at least one or two sit down meals a day...the dining plan can be worth it.

Many find that having at least ONE person it the party buying an Annual Pass...and getting Tables in Wonderland discount card is the way to go.

If you plan on coming back again with those under 6 year olds... a non expiring park hopper is usually a good way to go for everyone else. That way you're NOT locked in to any single park for the day. If you don't use portions of your pass...you can use them the next time you come (hedge against inflation)

I'm just throwing out some ideas... My knowledge pales in comparison to those on these forums.

Fort Fiends has good intel on Golf Cart rentals...4-place and 6-place from vendors off site. They can steer you in the right direction there.

You might have not condisered it... if your party would rather be in "campers" than "cabins"...there are places to rent RV's. There's even a guy that will deliver and set-up a 5th wheel on a site for you.

Have a great time!

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Park Hopper pass is a great deal. We didnt do the meal plan. We started each day with breakfast at the CG, and brought food with us. We also were there in July and its hotter than the sun. We purchased a camelback to hold water, a dire comodity. We ate out, but we also went to the grocer and came back, cooke dinner in the cg, then went either to epcot or magic kingdom for evening fireworks. FW is the most expensive cg, however it was worth it. In Ft WIlderness is the Hoop De Do Review. Dinner and a show. It was fanatastic. We paid for the premium seats and yes the actors did include us in the skit. A load of fun! Bring water with you and fill up the camel backs and have a great time!! We did!!

John, Lisa & Tara
2001 2500LT Suburban 8.1L 4x4 Autoride K/N, Reese 12klb w/dual cam, Prodigy, Sunny Brook Sunset Creek 298 BH, Trojan 125's, Honda EU3000, Dish TV, Xantrax Pure Sine 2000, Wilson Cellular Ant & Amp, L.I.B.B.A. #1747, Wireless WiFi,

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got the park hopper pass and thought it was worth it. The cheapest meal plan was ok but Disney got the best out of that deal. Ate breakfest and supper in the camper. The golf carts were an extra expence I felt we didn't need. There are shuddle buses that pass regularly with little wait time. We did bring our bikes for the short trips to the store.
Hope you have a great trip.

2011 Ram 3500 DRW Mega Cab 6.7 CTD 4X4
2012 Primetime Crusader 320RLT
PullRite SuperGlide,5th Airborne

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't mention...

If one person has an annual pass...then you get 10% off on Disney Merchandise...certain restaurants for lunch. I believe it gets you free parking...if you decide to drive to some of the parks instead of riding the free bus/boat disney transportation.

The Tables in Wonderland deducts 20% from your check (food and drink) at most sit down restaurants. It includes some of the restaurants at Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island, and Disney Boardwalk as well as the theme parks. They do add an 18% gratuity on any check using Tables in Wonderland...but it's still saving you money in the long run...esp. if you've got a crowd to feed.

There's a Winn Dixie and a Goodings grocery store not too far from Ft. Wilderness...should you decide to go out for some provisioning.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were there the golf cards were as much as the sites. There is a pizza place next to the Hoop De Doo theatre that has the most value for your eating dollar in the campground. We took our bikes and rode around rather than renting a golf cart.
There is an unofficial guide of Disney World that is good to have if you have never been there. Ours was $19 a couple of years ago. It is ISBN 0-7645-8341-7 but there might be a newer one now.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

twins89

Western New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just returned from Disney. We did not camp but stayed at Wilderness Lodge. The transportation is wonderful if you stay on Disney property. We brought on the plane deli meat, bread, condiments, snacks, trail mix, packaged crackers, cheese strips, etc. I made a lunch every day which we took with an icie in a soft cooler. Saved on spending a lot of money on lunches. For kids I would skip the meal plan. Sometimes when you are hot, you don't eat as much and smaller kids may be able to share a big burger etc. I find that the Park Hopper pass is okay; I have done both. However with little kids I think on park per day is enough. You will spend a lot of time getting from park to park. Go early to one park and leave by 3 or so and go enjoy Fort Wilderness, relax. Or go in later and stay later depending on park hours. Remember it is a vacation and five days is long enough to see most everything. I would plan one day in each park except for Magic Kingdom; MK usually you will go back - kids love it there. Be sure to do Fast Pass whenever possible. Take in some shows and remember... Disney is not in Europe or Antartica... you can return again. I will also suggest the best souvenior is a silouette (on Main Street in MK - right side near the bakery) is so worthwhile. I have had three done for my girls over the years. sure beats a key chain or something else. check it out 7.00 for one kid and the frame is also about 7 bucks. Best item ever!!

Western New Yorkers
Our Westie now waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
2000 F350 DRW 7.3 PSD crew cab
2010 Jayco Designer 37rlqs

2 Retired

Myrtle Beach, SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great info. Will definitely check out what has been offered. Keep the info coming friends!

ependydad

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To be honest, we've done the park hopper and have gone without. My wife is a freak when it comes to planning out our Disney vacations. She literally has every day identified with which park we're going to, where we're eating (including reservations), the whole 9 yards. With that level of planning, we do NOT need the park hopper pass.

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion hitch
Nights Camped: 2013: 47, 2012: 52, 2011: 28
Learning to RV, mishaps and adventures - Towing Planner - Calculators + Estimators

Hjudge49

St. Augustine, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that the park hopper is not necessary. We never go to more than one park per day. We have never done a meal plan as we normally eat breakfast in the Motorhome, and usually dinner. The grandkids get so tired that they really need a nap, so we usually leave the park aroung 3 or so, go back to the camper, let them nap, maybe swim and cook supper. Then either go back to the park or just do the FW show. The kids love the Chip & Dale show and sing-along, and it's free. If you plan to do the Hoop-d-do, make sure to get reservations as early as possible.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> fort wilderness plans
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS