|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery question for the gurus

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
txwpd103

Waco, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2011 XLR FW came with a battery that shows to be a Worldwide 24DC-5, 655 CA, 140 MIN CCA. Best I can find on the web is that it is made by Exide and is a cheap 24 series deep cycle. Here at the house, the trailer stays plugged in to shore power and we've never had a problem with the battery. Back in August when we had a grass fire get close to our place, I had to quickly move the FW to a friends house out of harms way and forgot to turn the battery disconnect off. When I went back to get it a week or so later, the battery was completely dead. It seemed to take a charge and has been plugged in to shore power ever since. I was working on my generator and without shore power, the battery did not have enough juice to successfully crank the genset. A multimeter show 12.89v. So did I permanently damage the battery when I discharged it completely?

2009 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB 4WD w/B&W Companion
2011 Forest River XLR 300x12

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best way to find out is to completely charge the battery and then have it load tested for free at a auto store. It is a starting battery and when replaced use a good marine deep cycle battery perhaps even a larger one.

It doesn't seem like you need additional power that would be available with 2 batteries.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Was that 12.89 battery voltage under load?

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 2500 MSW watt inverter.

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if that 12.89 was after attempting to start the gen-set and you were unplugged the entire time it is not the battery. The battery power never got to the gen-set. Trace your wiring to the gen-set, something is preventing current flow

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lets tell him,.....
13.8-14.2 is charging voltage
A fully charged battery standing voltage is 12.6-7
12.4-5 should still start a generator w/ no problem
12.1-2 mite have trouble
11.8-9 is considered dead,.....or will not crank an engine

Rich

'01 31 ft Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 200 watts Solar, 400 watt inv, 2 12v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a Liberty, or a Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

txwpd103

Waco, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry I didn't say ahead of time. The 12.89 was after "charging" overnight. No load. Two 5-10sec cranking sessions on the gen will reduce the battery to a point that it will not turn over the starter. I'll pull it during the week and have it tested. One more thing to get ready before spring break.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I'd start by checking the electrolyte levels. If they are low, add enough distilled water to cover the plates and fully charge the battery.

If they are good, then I'd do a reconditioning charge and/or equalization charge.

Do you have a hydrometer?

txwpd103

Waco, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do have a hydrometer, though will have to dig it out. Most of the toys we've had have glass mat sealed batteries, so it didn't occur to me to check the fluids. I'll do that first.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might try cleaning and tightening all your battery cable connections as well as the grounds from the battery and the generator grounds. When I have cranking issues with my generator it's usually associated with corroded ground and/or loose wire.

Kevin

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

one thing you might want to try. battery stores have saved many battery by doing this. Put a car battery charger on the battery. turn the switch to engine start for about 5 minutes or so. don't let the battery get too hot and it would be wise to put a shop towel over the vents so you don't get acid in your eyes when you work around a battery. after the time limit, put the charger back on manual or auto charge and charge over night. then test the battery to see if the charge is up over 13.2. if not then the battery is shot, get a new one

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery question for the gurus
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS